Boy Miller can let some weak ones go....

navybillsfan

You can't blame Miller on the OT goal - it was a perfect shot by Souray. You can blame the players who stopped playing in the last 10 seconds because they thought that the OT was over.

Yes, the Sabres are 18-3-1, but this isn't a dominant team. They've won alot of games by shootouts, in OT, and with third period rallies. Montreal played them even. I'd rather see improvement than wins.

Miller definetly needs to be blamed for the first goal, but equally, so does Kalinin.

In the same sense, it was Koivu, and when we're 100%, there's no way Kalinin would ever be in that situation. Lydman and Tallinder need to get healthy quick, but in the realistic view of it, as long as their there in the playoffs, we'll be fine.

Besides that mistake by Kalinin, our defense did very little to say they played poorly. I don't understand why Funk can't play more then one shift though. So, playing with 5 d-men, we were much better defensivly then Montreal tonight and dominated them in the 2nd period. After Spacek's goal, we could have scored on a good night 2 more goals in that period and our defense shut their offense out and they have NO LIFE with the puck and only had 3 shots.

I hope we don't face the Habs in the playoffs.

I don't know if their style they played against us today would really work in a 7 game series. Esspicially if we have a real center with Vanek and Max... Novotny can not do the job, they need Roy or Connolly and i don't think any defense in the world can stop them in a 7 game series.

But, Montreal is one of the top teams i fear most, but like i said, if healthy, they don't really scare me because we can play their style and still put goals on the board.

Miller definetly needs to be blamed for the first goal, but equally, so does Kalinin.

In the same sense, it was Koivu, and when we're 100%, there's no way Kalinin would ever be in that situation. Lydman and Tallinder need to get healthy quick, but in the realistic view of it, as long as their there in the playoffs, we'll be fine.

Besides that mistake by Kalinin, our defense did very little to say they played poorly. I don't understand why Funk can't play more then one shift though. So, playing with 5 d-men, we were much better defensivly then Montreal tonight and dominated them in the 2nd period. After Spacek's goal, we could have scored on a good night 2 more goals in that period and our defense shut their offense out and they have NO LIFE with the puck and only had 3 shots.

It was just a rare misplay by Miller. He clearly went for the poke check. He had everything covered and it was just the one time the poke check move hasn't worked for him. that just left his five hole wide open. It is more on the defense than Miller. He is a spectacular goalie and when our defense is finally healthy for a lengthy stretch Miller should stop letting in goals like that because those chances will be far and few between. Right now we are almost trading chances with teams and Miller is the reason we are where we are.

I don't know if their style they played against us today would really work in a 7 game series. Esspicially if we have a real center with Vanek and Max... Novotny can not do the job, they need Roy or Connolly and i don't think any defense in the world can stop them in a 7 game series.

But, Montreal is one of the top teams i fear most, but like i said, if healthy, they don't really scare me because we can play their style and still put goals on the board.

I think the Sens, Leafs and Habs will all play the Sabres tough this year. None of these games has been easy yet. There are still 16 games left with these teams and I believe 10 are on the road (Leafs -4, Sens -3, Habs -3) The Sabres divison record against these teams is 4-4 so far. Far from dominating and in three of the losses, dominated or damn near.

This division will be tightly contested this year. Good thing the Sabres have a cushion of points. And not all that unacceptable that they got three of four points in the last two division games.

How bout that hilarious shift of his in overtime. He did the spin move, which I said I hated, but it's growing on me, then at the end, he was so exhausted he just fell onto Miller. :D

It wasn't really the spin move though. He got halfway around and decided not to do it. I think that was the first game in a very long time that he never actually tried the spin move.

We just didn't finish. Novotny had 3 or 4 chances to score in the front of the net and he doesn't even have his stick on the ice. I was surprised that he was there because Vanek is one of the best in front. I'm pretty sure Vanek would of knocked at least one of those in. Also, Novotny on the powerplay? Novotny doesn't belong out there at all.

That being said, the defense was shaky tonight. Campbell played well but we have to stop playing 5 defensemen and get Funk some ice time. Giving him 1 or 2 shifts a game isn't helping the other guys out.

Also, Novotny on the powerplay? Novotny doesn't belong out there at all.

I'm almost positive, one of the PP lines had Novo with Goose and Kotalik.

Novotny could have single handed won us the game last night, but didn't. Not every night the big guns are gonna score. Like you said, he had many chances, so if theres anything i'm disappointed about from last night, it's Kalinin terrible play on the first goal and Novotny's lack of finish.

I noticed Novotny last year that he would play hard and hit people in his first few games. He would score a few goals and then he would start to get lazy and play poorly. When Roy gets back, and if things don't improve, keep Paille up and let Novotny sit out a few games.

I don't think he's getting lazy at all. I wouldn't bench a guy based on a bad night with the stick.... Novotny would be a awesome player on the 4th line IMO. He's not good enough for any of the top 3 spots. He has the defensive skills, the passing ability and the speed to be a top player on our 4th line.

He would. Novotny would fit in well on the fourth line. He is a good penalty killer to have. His performance lately has been poor. Novotny has taken some stupid penalties and hasn't finished.

Ok, you were on the right track on the penalties, he takes many stupid penalties for sure, esspicially as of late. Last night he had a stupid one and before then a few games back he had like 2 in a game like two games in a row.

But you definetly lost me when you said he hasn't finished. He has been playing awesome with the puck and has been creating as of late, even in games he doesn't score. Last night he had many chances, but let's not all point to Novo.... others had chances too, like for example Vanek's breakaway or Max coming down the side on Huet. Novotny definetly should have finished last night and it would have been a easy win for the Sabres, but, before last night he had two stright games with goals where he had one shot on goal, so obviously he doesn't lack that much finishing.

It was a rare night for him to have that many chances, and he obviously didn't step up to the plate.

I'm almost positive, one of the PP lines had Novo with Goose and Kotalik.

Novotny could have single handed won us the game last night, but didn't. Not every night the big guns are gonna score. Like you said, he had many chances, so if theres anything i'm disappointed about from last night, it's Kalinin terrible play on the first goal and Novotny's lack of finish.

Novotny had chances, but so did everyone else. Jaro was the only one that finished. Drury, Vanek to name 2 had quite a few chances to put things away, they didn't, so why doesn't anyone bitch about then? We had chances because we were better then the Habs on the ice, we just couldn't beat Huet.

Novotny had chances, but so did everyone else. Jaro was the only one that finished. Drury, Vanek to name 2 had quite a few chances to put things away, they didn't, so why doesn't anyone bitch about then? We had chances because we were better then the Habs on the ice, we just couldn't beat Huet.

F'n Huet!

Ok, you were on the right track on the penalties, he takes many stupid penalties for sure, esspicially as of late. Last night he had a stupid one and before then a few games back he had like 2 in a game like two games in a row.

But you definetly lost me when you said he hasn't finished. He has been playing awesome with the puck and has been creating as of late, even in games he doesn't score. Last night he had many chances, but let's not all point to Novo.... others had chances too, like for example Vanek's breakaway or Max coming down the side on Huet. Novotny definetly should have finished last night and it would have been a easy win for the Sabres, but, before last night he had two stright games with goals where he had one shot on goal, so obviously he doesn't lack that much finishing.

It was a rare night for him to have that many chances, and he obviously didn't step up to the plate.

Your right everyone had chances. Vanek should of tried to shoot high. Although it might of been difficult to. He did have some other quality chances to score, but Huet was great. Drury had a great chance on the powerplay but Huet robbed him. Huet was too good last night.

Archived