NHL Trade Alerts

Chilly

From spectorshockey.net:

THE CAROLINA HURRICANES HAVE DEALT FORWARD BRAD ISBISTER TO THE NEW YORK RANGERS IN EXCHANGE FOR CENTER JAKUB PETRUZALEK AND A CONDITIONAL 2008 DRAFT PICK.

Spector's Note: My thanks to everyone who sent this in. Analysis of the trade soon on my blog.

FORSBERG TO BE DEALT SOON?

HADLEYONSPORTS.COM: John Hadley reports Philadelphia Flyers forward Peter Forsberg will be dealt to either San Jose or Colorado within the next 24 hours.

Spector's Note: No word from Hadley as to which players could be going the other way. He usually has a pretty good track record breaking potential moves so this could be one worth watching.

Interesting stuff. Hopefully Forsberg goes to Colorado - I'd hate to see San Jose with him.

Here's Spector's analysis from his blog at foxsports.com:

The Carolina Hurricanes today dealt veteran forward Brad Isbister to the New York Rangers in exchange for center Jakub Petruzalek and a conditional pick in 2008.

Isbister was once considered a promising NHL power forward, but after nine NHL seasons he was unable to play up to those expectations.

He was signed as a free agent by the Hurricanes last August, who wanted to bring depth to the wing in anticipation of Cory Stillman's lengthy recovery from off-season surgery. However, he's spent the entire season in the AHL, and is likely to do the same with the Rangers, although a call-up could be possible at some point in the season should the injury bug bite the Blueshirts.

Petruzalek meanwhile is in his first AHL season, having also split time between the Hartford Wolfpack and the ECHL Charlotte Checkers. He was a 9th round pick by the Rangers in 2005.

The Sharks would have to move Nabakov if they were to get Forsberg. Even then, they still wouldn't free up enough cap space to take on his contract. There's also no way in hell that Philly would take on Nabakov since they're looking for a salary dump here, so I don't see how the Sharks could pull anything off here unless they went for a 3 way deal.

The Sharks would have to move Nabakov if they were to get Forsberg. Even then, they still wouldn't free up enough cap space to take on his contract. There's also no way in hell that Philly would take on Nabakov since they're looking for a salary dump here, so I don't see how the Sharks could pull anything off here unless they went for a 3 way deal.

I don't see it that way, yes its a salary dump getting rid of an aging vet up front on a huge contract, but getting back Nabakov would solve a problem in net for the flyers and they would probably get one of Philly's goalies back in return so they would havea backup.

I'm not 100% sure of the salary cap figures for both teams, but there are ways a deal like that could work out

I don't see it that way, yes its a salary dump getting rid of an aging vet up front on a huge contract, but getting back Nabakov would solve a problem in net for the flyers and they would probably get one of Philly's goalies back in return so they would havea backup.

I'm not 100% sure of the salary cap figures for both teams, but there are ways a deal like that could work out

San Jose's got about $600k worth of space. Nabakov's figure is $5.375 million and Forsberg is $5.75 million. So I misread things earlier. The Sharks would just sneak under the cap by exchanging those two players, but I still don't see how that works for Philly. Also, the Sharks wouldn't want a backup in return. They've already got Nolan Schaefer ready to go in the minors. He's more than capable of being an NHL goalie.

Something else would have to happen. A third team would have to step in and help out with the cap situation to make this work.

Archived