Marty story ... so true

smallmarketguy

Guy from the Gazette said this:

"Unlike his early years, when Biron would stand on his head through the first 58 minutes, only to surrender the game-losing goal in the final moments, Marty?s recent work has been marked by timely saves, even if they come after a few sloppy goals."

Interesting point, but is he playing well enough for other GMs to take the hook?

Whole story here:

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/gnns..._321232201.html

I don't think GMs look much at a goaltender's record. Unless you think Marty is carrying this team, the record is kind of thrown out. Not entirely of course. (See Doug Flutie, who had a noodle arm but just won.) Marty is what he is. A pretty good goalie -- looks great on one of the better teams in the NHL. I don't see him being a topnotch starter though. GMs around the league apparently agree.

I don't think GMs look much at a goaltender's record. Unless you think Marty is carrying this team, the record is kind of thrown out. Not entirely of course. (See Doug Flutie, who had a noodle arm but just won.) Marty is what he is. A pretty good goalie -- looks great on one of the better teams in the NHL. I don't see him being a topnotch starter though. GMs around the league apparently agree.

i think that somewhere between the beginning of the lockout and now marty has realized that his legacy will not be a "starting goalie for a franchise" but "a buffalo sabre". I believe that, unless marty comes back and has about 5 shutouts in a row, or carries the team through the playoffs, he'll sign back with the sabres to a cap friendly deal to backup miller.

i think that somewhere between the beginning of the lockout and now marty has realized that his legacy will not be a "starting goalie for a franchise" but "a buffalo sabre". I believe that, unless marty comes back and has about 5 shutouts in a row, or carries the team through the playoffs, he'll sign back with the sabres to a cap friendly deal to backup miller.

If we can keep him and stay out of cap trouble, I wouldn't complain.

While I expect him to be gone next year, I agree with you that it is FAR from a foregone conclusion that he will be elsewhere. It's doubtful that he'll find the team that is willing to give him big bucks and unconditionally make him the starter. With luck, the grass will be greener on this side of the fence (assuming the Sabres can find the cap room and their own budgetary room to bring him back).

Is Biron any worse than Roloson last season? His stats are pretty close to Roloson's stats last year with Minnesota. Rollie was traded for a #1 pick, took his team to the finals, and is making $4.5 million this year.

The main reason that Marty wasn't moved in the offseason probably is because he was never on the market. Regier is adament about having two quality goalies on the roster, and it's hard to imagine him making a move without Dennis proving he can handle the backup duties. And Dennis didn't even get a start in the preseason. And it's doubtful that Regier would trade Biron for another cheaper backup goalie, since it would mean a downgrade at his favorite position.

If Biron were to be put on the market, there's no doubt Regier would get a good return, but if he has to make a salary cap move, a forward is more likely to go than a goalie.

Archived