Dominik Has-Been

bottlecap

This guy is getting about 15 shots on goal a game and they still have 2 losses.

Hey how about that dumb interference penalty that resulted in the tying

goal? Plus I remember at the Olympics how he shut down that "Murderer's

Row" of All-Stars on the shoot out.

No more.

the guy's like 61 now... he's not playing to stop shootouts anymore, he's playing as a guy to make the occasional tough save... if detroit would have locked down like they should have, he'd never have seen the shootout anyways. that wasn't dominik hasek screwing up, that was a team running into the buffalo sabres.

the guy's like 61 now... he's not playing to stop shootouts anymore, he's playing as a guy to make the occasional tough save... if detroit would have locked down like they should have, he'd never have seen the shootout anyways. that wasn't dominik hasek screwing up, that was a team running into the buffalo sabres.

I think the biggest difference is that a goalie who thrived playing an unorthodox, flopping, get-anything-in-the-way-of-the-puck style is going to struggle more than a traditional standup/butterfly goalie as they get older, because goalies like Dom rely more on athleticism rather than good techniques, namely playing good angles. I think that's why Dom has struggled so much in recent years - his body just doesn't allow him to be a half-second faster than the shooter, he can't push off in lateral movements the way he did at his peak, and he isn't as flexible. Couple that with his erratic behavior on- and off-ice, and the fact that there is probably some complacency, since he already has his Cup, Hart and Vezina trophies...

IMO, it is sad to see the career of arguably the greatest Buffalo Sabre ever turn into such a sideshow, and for him to keep playing as a shadow of his former self.

bm, he's not arguably the best in my book... he's the best... i remember watching perrault as a kid... the mid 80's perrault, the respected future hall of famer... i never saw gillbert live in his prime... but i saw dominik hasek, and from what i saw, there's nobody better than that. it is very sad to see his career wind down the way it has. i can empathize with green bay packers fans watching favre. nobody was better than hasek.

Unfortunately I have very few memories of watching Perrault play, the exception being toward the end of his career - I remember watching him try to break the 500-goal barrier, and struggling a bit toward the end until Mike Foligno set him up for the milestone goal.

IMO, Hasek is the best (and probably most valuable) player ever to don the blue & gold, err, back & red, err, navy & maize...ah you get the point. It really disappointed me that egos robbed Buffalo fans of getting to watch him play a couple more years in HSBC Arena. Dom is the reason some people still are (and will continue to be) waaaaay too harsh in their assessments of current and future Buffalo goalies - he spoiled the fans.

I used the word arguably in case those who saw more of Perrault's career wanted to lobby for Gilbert.

bm, he's not arguably the best in my book... he's the best... i remember watching perrault as a kid... the mid 80's perrault, the respected future hall of famer... i never saw gillbert live in his prime... but i saw dominik hasek, and from what i saw, there's nobody better than that. it is very sad to see his career wind down the way it has. i can empathize with green bay packers fans watching favre. nobody was better than hasek.

Here's a matter of observation: most of these superstar athletes get it in their heads that they just want "one more win". It's not only been that way with Hasek and Favre, but also with Michael Jordan (who finally saw the handwriting on the wall) and Roger Clemens (who should have quit after winning the World Series with the Yankees). There are a few exceptions of these guys who decide to go out on top like John Elway, but they appear to be few and far between.

I don't know why these guys just don't get it and push themselves like this. It reminds me of Nelson Rockefeller. Someone once asked him, "You're the richest man in the world. What will make you happy?" Rockefeller's response was, "Just a little more."

Might as well gain the whole world and lose your own soul.

IMO, it is sad to see the career of arguably the greatest Buffalo Sabre ever turn into such a sideshow, and for him to keep playing as a shadow of his former self.

Kinda sad that Buffalo can't just have our biggest stars age gracefully:

Dom and OJ

(not that they're crazy in the same way, but their antics after playing in Buffalo has spoiled the memories of their in game performances)

Archived