McKee Article

shrader

Did anyone read the McKee article no the front page out of St. Louis? It opens up with this quote:

Jay McKee endured nine years of mediocrity in Buffalo prior to the 2005-06 season, when the surprising Sabres advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals. After an emotional 2-1 overtime win over Carolina in Game 6, they were one victory away from playing for the Stanley Cup.

Nine years of mediocrity? Ok, they missed the playoffs 4 out of those 9 years, but I'd hardly call them mediocre. Are two appearances in the conference finals and one Stanley Cup final mediocre? Also, 5 seasons and the team advanced out of the first round in all but one of them. Mediocre?

Just for the hell of it, I compared this run to what St. Louis did over those 9 years. It's fairly well known that they made the playoffs each of those seasons, but they lost in the first round 4 times. Only once did they even make it to the conference finals. Over those 9 years, St. Louis won 42 playoff games, while Buffalo won 37. That's pretty damn close, considering the fact that Buffalo missed the playoffs 4 of the 9 years.

Overreaction from me? Probably, but I thought that mediocre label was a bit much, especially when coming from the paoer that covers those annual playoff chokers out in St. Louis.

Did anyone read the McKee article no the front page out of St. Louis? It opens up with this quote:

Nine years of mediocrity? Ok, they missed the playoffs 4 out of those 9 years, but I'd hardly call them mediocre. Are two appearances in the conference finals and one Stanley Cup final mediocre? Also, 5 seasons and the team advanced out of the first round in all but one of them. Mediocre?

Just for the hell of it, I compared this run to what St. Louis did over those 9 years. It's fairly well known that they made the playoffs each of those seasons, but they lost in the first round 4 times. Only once did they even make it to the conference finals. Over those 9 years, St. Louis won 42 playoff games, while Buffalo won 37. That's pretty damn close, considering the fact that Buffalo missed the playoffs 4 of the 9 years.

Overreaction from me? Probably, but I thought that mediocre label was a bit much, especially when coming from the paoer that covers those annual playoff chokers out in St. Louis.

You really didn't expect the hack writer to do any research did you when it is so much easier to throw in a disparaging adjective or two?

I found this quote to be interesting:

"People see a player get signed and automatically they go to the dollars," Davidson said. "We needed a top-four defenseman and we needed somebody that's going to come in here with the right attitude. It's the market price you have to pay."

Are teams really paying $4 million for a top four defenseman? The Canes are paying Cole and Stahl $4 million a year. Do they equal a second-line defenseman in today's NHL?

For that amount of money, I'd expect a defenseman who can score 45-50 points, play on the PP and PK, and finish around +10. I'd expect the guy to be a regular all-star. As far as I know, McKee, while he's a very solid player, doesn't meet that criteria. In fact, none of the Sabres D-men meet that criteria, and none of them are making $4 million a year, and yet they still have a very good defensive unit.

Anyone else believe that Davidson had a front-row seat to the ridiculous over-spending that the Rangers did over the last 10 years and thought to himself, 'hey that's a great idea.'

I found this quote to be interesting:

Are teams really paying $4 million for a top four defenseman? The Canes are paying Cole and Stahl $4 million a year. Do they equal a second-line defenseman in today's NHL?

For that amount of money, I'd expect a defenseman who can score 45-50 points, play on the PP and PK, and finish around +10. I'd expect the guy to be a regular all-star. As far as I know, McKee, while he's a very solid player, doesn't meet that criteria. In fact, none of the Sabres D-men meet that criteria, and none of them are making $4 million a year, and yet they still have a very good defensive unit.

Anyone else believe that Davidson had a front-row seat to the ridiculous over-spending that the Rangers did over the last 10 years and thought to himself, 'hey that's a great idea.'

I've had that thought myself.

Archived