Salary Cap Update

Taro T

With Kalinin signed and assuming Paetsch is the 7th D-man, the Sabres currently have ~$41MM in average annual salary committed to 20 players (if Roy is making $627k, it's $40.79MM and if he's making $841k, it's $41.00MM. For sake of argument, the rest of this post uses the $627k figure).

The actual salary commitments so far this season are $37.23MM.

If Ryan gets a contract that averages $2.5MM/year, which is what I'd expect to see him get in a LT deal, that would put the Sabres average annual salary at $43.29MM. Paille's $760k is too expensive to fit on the team as currently constituted. Signing Novotny and Michael Ryan to league minimum salaries to take the last 2 spots puts the team above the salary cap by $188k.

So, if the Sabres don't make any trades, 2 things happen: 1- the Sabres probably go with a 22 man active roster and 2 - the 22nd player's salary will factor into who is the 12th forward (Peters is already pencilled in as the 13th).

Depending on how big Miller's salary is this year (I'm guessing it'll probably be ~1.6MM in a 3 year deal that averages $2.5MM) the Sabres October 4 actual roster will be over $40MM and close to $41MM assuming no trades are made and they have 23 players on the big squad.

Connolly's injury frees up some cap room for the team, assuming he starts the year on BLTI-IR, but the team realistically still needs to move Marty to free up some room. Actually, Connolly's injury may end up being a blessing in disguise to this team, IF he comes back fully healthy in November or December and the team was able to make a reasonable trade with Marty after some other goalie in the league gets injured.

Kind of makes you wonder if Golisano and the Sabre's front office expects the cap to raise again next year, so that's why they signed these guys to long terms deals so they come in well under the cap for awhile.

Actually one thing they are probably counting on is most teams spending to the salary cap (as they themselves are approaching this season). If the league's projected revenues fall where they are expected to, then the average league salary to get the players their current 54% cut of the revenues would be at the middle of the salary band ($36MM). If the average team salary ends up north of $40MM and the revenue projections are accurate, then the players would end up giving back a significant portion of their escrow money.

A Sabres payroll of $40MM (realistic) combined with a player escrow forfeiture of 10% would put the Sabres ACTUAL player outlays at a much more tolerable $36MM.

So in other words, Brian Boucher needs to start looking for a home in WNY.

Actually, I think that Boucher would look very good with a big yellow snot across his chest. Not as good as Marty, mind you, but when you consider he'd probably sign for ~$800k, maybe less, I would definitely give him a look.

Actually, I think that Boucher would look very good with a big yellow snot across his chest. Not as good as Marty, mind you, but when you consider he'd probably sign for ~$800k, maybe less, I would definitely give him a look.

We could always lure Garth Snow out of retirement. :)

Archived