NHL 07 ratings for the sabres

slapshot1619

I am glad they added a couple new categories for the player types - I think sniper, dangler and power forward are new this year - IIRC, 06 only had Scorer, Playmaker and Grinder for the forwards, and Offensive "D", Defensive "D" and Checker, and they had some of the guys categorized wrong - I think Timmy was a scorer, for example.

I don't like this:

That's right, you don't need to hit one face button to play NHL 07. To hit a slap shot, pull back on the right analog stick, then push it forward to shoot while aiming straight ahead, to the left or right. While skating with the left analog stick, this enables the separation of upper and lower body unlike you've seen before, as skaters can drive right, then pull back and shoot left. You can fake a forehand, then switch to a backhand and score between the goalie's legs. In past games, this was all scripted animation. Now you're actually deciding what moves to pull off and when, enabling you to do pretty much what you want to out on the ice. You can really see all of this through the new Dodge Shootout mode. It's you against the goalie, and it's a perfect place to tryout all of your moves before skating into your season.

But I do like this:

Another change to the game is the fact that there is no more speed burst button. Skating speed is now tied to real-life attributes as faster skaters will accelerate to top speed quicker than slower skaters?it's not about smacking turbo. Take a player like cover boy Alex Ovechkin for instance, not only will the explosive skater hit top speed almost instantly, he'll be one of the few players who can handle the stick expertly at top speed, and that's one way star players will distinguish themselves out on the ice.

As far as I can tell, there are two flavors of NHL 07 available: next generation and current generation. Apparently, the PC release will be the current generation version, which means that the graphics and animations will essentially be the same as those in NHL 06. On top of that, all sources seem to indicate that the new Buffalo uniforms won't be included. With all of that in mind, I see no reason to buy this product.

and your point is....?

Why does there have to be a point? It's interesting enough.

I didn't look at all the stats, but these jumped out at me: I would have given Drury higher faceoff skill and Kotalik better slapshot speed and accuracy.

I don't have videogames, but that was interesting.

For me, it's like Madden. It may not have gotten better (or even slightly crappier) but I still end up getting year after year. I think it's just a habit now. I've always gotten the new version since they first came out just cause I want to see the new shiny things even though it might not be the best use of money. :P .

Also, even though the graphics might be better, the two could be different games like Madden for everything else and for 360. At least that's according to my bro who's got both (bastard).

For some reason they decided to put all the goalies into one sheet. Click here

The goalies have a fighting stat? Please tell me goalie fights can happen in the game.

I may have to buy this game this year. I haven't bought any sports games in a few years now, but I'm going to have a crazy hockey apartment going this year. The game is probably a must have.

For some reason they decided to put all the goalies into one sheet. Click here

Definately some goalie stats that don't make sense. Eg: Miller and Raycroft are not the same caliber. You appear to get your overall bumped by a few points for having a big name (Theodore).

Someone didn't do their homework on positioning. Miller has some of the best positioning I have ever seen, and he got a 1, while some others got 2's that are leaving me wondering.

Definately some goalie stats that don't make sense. Eg: Miller and Raycroft are not the same caliber. You appear to get your overall bumped by a few points for having a big name (Theodore).

Someone didn't do their homework on positioning. Miller has some of the best positioning I have ever seen, and he got a 1, while some others got 2's that are leaving me wondering.

Apparently Biron is unbeatable stick side low. I never noticed; I'll remember to pay attention to that when I watch this season.

Ha, this is why they created the player editor.

I think it's kind of funny that Lundqvist put up top 5 numbers and he got an 89 overall while Brodeur put up very similar numbers to Miller and got a 94 (Miller was an 88).

The Player Editor is awesome in that respect...nothing like bumping Ryan Miller from a 76 (in NHL 06) to a 92...

Pominville should be way higher than a 71. (79 minimum)

.. and where are the goalies?

EA Sports' NHL games are known for having players overrated because of past success (Theodore is a great example in this year's game). That's why I play on the PC. You can download updates and fix all the stuff that EA should have easily been able to do, and customize almost everything thanks to mods. EA sports doesn't put much effort into their hockey games because there just simply isn't as much of a market for hockey as there is for Madden NFL.

EA Sports' NHL games are known for having players overrated because of past success (Theodore is a great example in this year's game). That's why I play on the PC. You can download updates and fix all the stuff that EA should have easily been able to do, and customize almost everything thanks to mods. EA sports doesn't put much effort into their hockey games because there just simply isn't as much of a market for hockey as there is for Madden NFL.

I definately agree with that. I even think Brodeur is pretty highly ranked for the type of year he had last year. I think he was a 94 overall. He looked good last year, but not unbeatable like he used to be. The rule changes and lack of the Scott's had a pretty big effect overall on him. Not to say, he shouldn't get some bonus for his past success, but rating him as a 94, while only giving Lundqvist an 89, doesn't really make sense to me.

I definately agree with that. I even think Brodeur is pretty highly ranked for the type of year he had last year. I think he was a 94 overall. He looked good last year, but not unbeatable like he used to be. The rule changes and lack of the Scott's had a pretty big effect overall on him. Not to say, he shouldn't get some bonus for his past success, but rating him as a 94, while only giving Lundqvist an 89, doesn't really make sense to me.

I don't know my video games (so I might not understand ratings so well), but I know which goalie won the division and the ensuing playoff series--could that factor in?

Exactly. That's probably an even better example of how they don't look at what actually happened the last season, and instead base the ratings on what the player had accomplished years ago. No doubt Brodeur is still a great goalie, but come on a 94? I guess it just bugs me because NHL is pretty much the only video game I play.

One thing I noticed they did get right is the Hasek rating. 84 seems right to me.

I don't know my video games (so I might not understand ratings so well), but I know which goalie won the division and the ensuing playoff series--could that factor in?

Lundqvist was injured at the end of the season and definately wasn't 100% during the playoffs. If it was based on how far your team went in the playoffs, Miller would have higher than an 88.

Archived