Today's Buffalo News article

hopeleslyobvious

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd1020962.asp

To start, I am not a big fan of Bucky Gleason. I think his opinion often reflects that of the casual fan rather than that of someone who should be an expert (being that this is his job).

His article today raises an interesting point. The Sabres have lost a lot of their toughness. I am not going to deny that. However, I don't know if I agree with his doom and gloom assessment.

I think Gleason is looking at this like we're about to enter training camp in the summer of 2003 rather than the summer of 2006.

I view this as a small weakness, rather than a glaring hole in the team. Will the Sabres be outmatched physically a lot of nights? Yes. But how much of a difference does that make in the new NHL. I think the Flyers outmatched the Sabres physically. On paper it looked like it might have been a factor in the series, but in reality, the Flyers couldn't hit what they couldn't catch.

IMHO, the league was watching that series carefully, and a team built for the new NHL skated circles around a team built for the old NHL. As more teams figure out that a smaller, faster team is the way to go, the lack of physical players will have even less of an impact.

Also, Gleason convienently forgets that the Sabres roster is not completely void of physical players. Gaustad and Mair are very physical players.

The loss of physical players will have an impact on the team, but I don't really see it preventing them from enduring the regular season and making a deep playoff run.

What does everyone else think?

I think losing Grier hurts. He was a hard hitting clean player.

Losing McKee will hurt less than Bucky thinks.

All in all, I prefer speed to toughness in today's game.

Looking at the division - I don't think there are any "tough" players

that would scare Buffalo either.

Thanks for taking the time to write about hockey Buckster.

I think losing Grier hurts. He was a hard hitting clean player.

Losing McKee will hurt less than Bucky thinks.

All in all, I prefer speed to toughness in today's game.

Looking at the division - I don't think there are any "tough" players

that would scare Buffalo either.

Thanks for taking the time to write about hockey Buckster.

Actually, I am going to miss Grier more on the PK than anything else.

I think Gleason is looking at this like we're about to enter training camp in the summer of 2003 rather than the summer of 2006.

I view this as a small weakness, rather than a glaring hole in the team. Will the Sabres be outmatched physically a lot of nights? Yes. But how much of a difference does that make in the new NHL. I think the Flyers outmatched the Sabres physically. On paper it looked like it might have been a factor in the series, but in reality, the Flyers couldn't hit what they couldn't catch.

IMHO, the league was watching that series carefully, and a team built for the new NHL skated circles around a team built for the old NHL. As more teams figure out that a smaller, faster team is the way to go, the lack of physical players will have even less of an impact.

Also, Gleason convienently forgets that the Sabres roster is not completely void of physical players. Gaustad and Mair are very physical players.

The loss of physical players will have an impact on the team, but I don't really see it preventing them from enduring the regular season and making a deep playoff run.

What does everyone else think?

I think Bucky is forgetting you don't need to be 6'4" 225lbs to have toughness. Tallinder can hit, lydman can hit, cambpell can hit(as RJ Umberger found out the hard way), Gaustad, Mair, Paille/Novotny love to hit. And we also have Goon Peters, who seems to get the nod when we know there is a team who plays rough on the schedule. While you don't necessarily WANT those people to hit, they will play the body when they have to. The toughness of this team is very underrated, and while we may lack that Grier type grinder, our team toughness is fine.

I think the most important thing we need to maintain is the ability to roll 4 lines consitently. I believe that was one of our biggest advantages last year as we were able to wear down other teams not just by being physical, but by having fresher legs on the ice at critical times because we weren't forced to double shift our "good guys" when the game was on the line.

I think the most important thing we need to maintain is the ability to roll 4 lines consitently. I believe that was one of our biggest advantages last year as we were able to wear down other teams not just by being physical, but by having fresher legs on the ice at critical times because we weren't forced to double shift our "good guys" when the game was on the line.

Couldn't agree more.

That's right.

And I think we'll see the defense joining the rush a lot more this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd1020962.asp

spot on, obvious -- there's not much i could add to your take. and i agree with x as well -- losing rosy (mike g.) hurts -- but not because he scared people per se, but because his style had a way of wearing people down and making them a little skittish in the corners. i'm less worried about the blue line aspect; the modern defenseman needs to move far more than he needs to be able to plaster someone. and besides, didn't soupy step up into that role in the philly series? ;)

Bucky's jumping on my bandwagon....one of my biggest concerns as the season starts will be the Sabres play along the boards and behind the net. It has nothing to do with hitting or fighting. It's all about being able to win those one-on-one battles along the boards. I thought the Sabres struggled in this aspect of the game periodically during the season and the playoffs. Losing some of the bigger players on the team, will not help. Only time will tell...

Bucky's jumping on my bandwagon....one of my biggest concerns as the season starts will be the Sabres play along the boards and behind the net. It has nothing to do with hitting or fighting. It's all about being able to win those one-on-one battles along the boards. I thought the Sabres struggled in this aspect of the game periodically during the season and the playoffs. Losing some of the bigger players on the team, will not help. Only time will tell...

I just don't see it having as big of an impact as Bucky seems to think.

Briere does great going in behind the net digging for the puck and staying with it, as does Roy. Hecht is a big guy that was great along the boards last year. I agree that the sabres have lost some physical size, but the guys they still have play tough. That is what is more important now: see Sabres-Flyers series.

I think balance in speed and physical power is what matters. Have too much of one and you're missing something.

You can skate as fast as you want, but if you can't muscle the puck out of the boards the speed is worthless.

You can power the puck into your control all you want, but if you don't have the speed to capitalize on your hard work, your muscle is worthless.

Archived