New story on TSN about Briere/Sabres

BetweenThePipes00

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=171765&hubname=nhl

Interesting segment ...

"Briere's case is a good one to gets things rolling, unless of course he reaches a deal with Regier before the 9 a.m. ET hearing - something that has happened many times in the past. And talks were planned for Wednesday night.

''We'll certainly talk tonight, we'll see where that goes,'' said Regier. ''It's always everyone's choice to try and avoid arbitration but sometimes it's necessary to let someone else made the decision on the number.''

Said Briere's agent Pat Brisson on Wednesday: ''It's always preferable to avoid arbitration, that's why we're having ongoing discussions and hopefully we'll resolve it.''

Briere, 28, earned $1.938 million last season when he was on his way to a career year before suffering the all-too-familiar sports hernia that has plagued NHLers all over the league. He ended up with 58 points (25-33) in only 48 games and kept up his magic in the playoffs, putting up 19 points (8-11) in 18 games.

It's impossible to tell how an arbitrator will react but given Martin Havlat's new $6-million a year deal in Chicago and Briere's similar career numbers, it's conceivable he could get awarded anywhere from $4 million to $6 million. "

Can't be all bad that they are still talking ... I wonder what Briere's number will be that he submits ... does he go for the $6 million right now? I think I would if I were him ... worst case he probably doubles his salary and can still have a good year and hit the jackpot next year, but if by some chance he wins at $6 million it becomes a starting point for his next deal.

Keeping in mind that Buffalo has only about $20 million to bring in 10 players - I am pretty sure a $6 million award would make Danny Briere a free agent. Because most large market teams have already tapped out most of their cap money - he will never get that much - so I doubt that he will ask for that much.

i know very little about arbitration... Can they agree to a multi-year deal after the hearing? can the ruling involve multi-year, or once you hit the meeting, are you pretty much locked into a 1 year deal?

According to the information in the article, the arbitor will decide on a one or two-year deal, which works out for Briere in terms of length. But they could always agree to terms before the hearing which is at 9am EDT tomorrow. Guess we will see. I think it will set the tone for how the rest of the teams align and probably not for just this year either.

According to the information in the article, the arbitor will decide on a one or two-year deal, which works out for Briere in terms of length. But they could always agree to terms before the hearing which is at 9am EDT tomorrow. Guess we will see. I think it will set the tone for how the rest of the teams align and probably not for just this year either.

I've got a feeling that briere won't see arbitration tomorrow morning, however, i wouldn't be suprised if he does though. Just a feeling, no insider info...

Keeping in mind that Buffalo has only about $20 million to bring in 10 players - I am pretty sure a $6 million award would make Danny Briere a free agent. Because most large market teams have already tapped out most of their cap money - he will never get that much - so I doubt that he will ask for that much.

This is a good point ... Tampa cut Stillman loose when he was awarded $3.9 million and he got like $1.75 or something from Carolina.

Just so many variables in these things ... so many possibilities ...

i know very little about arbitration... Can they agree to a multi-year deal after the hearing?

The arbitrator's decision must issue within 48 hours after the hearing -- during that time the two sides are free to hammer out a deal. (And once the decision is issued, it's very, very unlikely that the parties would work out a long-term deal.)

can the ruling involve multi-year, or once you hit the meeting, are you pretty much locked into a 1 year deal?

Arbitration works this way under the new CBA: If the player will become a UFA at the end of the following season, then the award can only be for one year (i.e., you ain't gonna hold the guy past his first year of UFA eligibility based on an arb. award). That's Danny's situation: He's an UFA at the end of this season, so the arbitrator can only issue a one-year deal.

Where that is not the case (can't think of anyone with the Sabres this year off the top of my head -- Kotalik maybe?), then the party that did not elect arbitration (usually the team) can choose to have the arbitrator grant a 1 or 2 year award in advance of the arbitration, and often with young players who are not going to cost a ton, that's what the team will do.

Arbitration works this way under the new CBA:

And I meant to add: Thanks to dave_b for elucidating these points for me, and others.

If this goes to an arbitrator awarding him a contract for next year, it will be Danny's last one in Buffalo and he will follow Jay out of town next season to cash in on a crazy contract that some team will offer him.

But Regier is still the greatest GM in the history of the NHL :rolleyes:

If this goes to an arbitrator awarding him a contract for next year, it will be Danny's last one in Buffalo and he will follow Jay out of town next season to cash in on a crazy contract that some team will offer him.

But Regier is still the greatest GM in the history of the NHL :rolleyes:

well, i'd advocate overpaying for briere. he's one of about 3 guys i'd do that for (the other two being drury and miller). However, if regier is content having danny here for one year and leaving, it has to fit into his plan. We don't really know regier's plan so its hard to knock it. I'm very nervous with briere in arbitration... However, we shall see...

well, i'd advocate overpaying for briere. he's one of about 3 guys i'd do that for (the other two being drury and miller).

The Sabres can't afford to overpay for anyone ... well I take that back, they can, but for every guy they overpay they would lose 2 or 3 others on the current team. So it's basically no-win for Regier ... if he overpays to keep Briere, he will eventually have to let a couple guys like Max or Dumont or Tallinder go, and he will get ripped for not keeping the team together. If he sticks to his guns and tries to keep the team together, he will get ripped for being cheap and letting the best player on the team go ...

Which way is correct? It's probably POSSIBLE to win either way ... but he'd better pick the right one because no matter which one he chooses, if they do not win the Cup people will say he screwed it up.

At times like these, GMs probably question why they are in this business ...

Archived