Sign Hasek as the Sabres backup

Barnabov

Looks like Dom is needing a new team - what a laugh it would be if the Sabres offerred him the job as a backup.

Given his injury problems, a backup role has to be about the best he could hope for.

I'd offer him the minimum + incentives and tell him the first time he's a pain, that he'd be shipped off to the ECHL or something.

Of course he'd not accept it but would be a nice putting him in his place just to make the offer.

Looks like Dom is needing a new team - what a laugh it would be if the Sabres offerred him the job as a backup.

Given his injury problems, a backup role has to be about the best he could hope for.

I'd offer him the minimum + incentives and tell him the first time he's a pain, that he'd be shipped off to the ECHL or something.

Of course he'd not accept it but would be a nice putting him in his place just to make the offer.

"his place"?

You mean the 'Hall of Fame'?

Stanley Cup, Hart Trophy, Vezina's and a Gold Medal?

Hasek owes nothing to anyone. Sabre fans got years of seeing the best player in hockey. Who knows. Without him selling tickets this team could have left Buffalo along time ago.

Hedberg already signed with Atlanta - too bad - would have been a great backup.

As for Hasek's place - yeah - he'll go down as one of the greatest goalies but he shat on Buffalo when he left and his forcing a trade and then forcing the Sabres to get crapola in return was totally classless - for that I think he deserves to get put in his place now that the tables have been turned (Sabres have Stanley Cup potential and Hasek has been cut loose).

"his place"?

You mean the 'Hall of Fame'?

Stanley Cup, Hart Trophy, Vezina's and a Gold Medal?

Hasek owes nothing to anyone. Sabre fans got years of seeing the best player in hockey. Who knows. Without him selling tickets this team could have left Buffalo along time ago.

Glad someone sees the truth.

As for Hasek's place - yeah - he'll go down as one of the greatest goalies but he shat on Buffalo when he left and his forcing a trade and then forcing the Sabres to get crapola in return was totally classless - for that I think he deserves to get put in his place now that the tables have been turned (Sabres have Stanley Cup potential and Hasek has been cut loose).

Get over it already.

When Buffalo told Hasek he wasn't going to have the club option exercised for $9 million, Hasek had the right to dictate details of the trade -- especially the "where" part of it. Why should any of the other teams in the NHL have offered Buffalo a fair deal given we were in no position to negotiate?

That's business. That's life. Deal with it.

The Sabres could have just let Hasek go. They didn't have to pick up the $6-7 million dollar option. And if you follow the trail we did end up with Hecht which isn't that bad.

The Hasek era was one of the greatest in Sabres history. He carried the franchise on his back. I for one will watch with with pride when he goes into the Hall of Fame.

No breakup goes smoothly. The Sabres had plenty of chances to deal Hasek before he put his foot down. The Sabres were going nowhere and Hasek and everyone else knew it. You can't blame the guy for wanting a chance to win. ;)

Kansas, where does any player get the right to dictate terms of a trade? We can debate the truth of it, but the Sabres said at the time they were willing to pick up the option on Hasek, but Hasek had already gone to owner John Rigas and requested a trade. Picking up the option would have called Hasek's bluff to retire. I wish they had done that, just to spite the creep.

DeLuca, come on now. Winning the Cup was never important to Hasek. Puh-lease. Orchestrating his way out of town, showing people who the boss was, going someplace where he would get more attention were the driving factors. You know that car commercial where they talk about low ego emissions? Dom is the guy with the bullhorn -- because Daddy never hugged me, because Daddy never hugged me, because... Look at me! I must be seen! I must be seen! If winning the Cup was Dom's motivation, he would never have been seen again after winning it. Instead, he retired, screwing us over one more time when we didn't get that extra pick, came back a season later to the Wings, screwed them over, retired, came back again with the Sens and screwed them over. And don't think this wack job is done. He always returns, like a bad case of diarrhea.

The Sabres could have just let Hasek go. They didn't have to pick up the $6-7 million dollar option. And if you follow the trail we did end up with Hecht which isn't that bad.

The Hasek era was one of the greatest in Sabres history. He carried the franchise on his back. I for one will watch with with pride when he goes into the Hall of Fame.

No breakup goes smoothly. The Sabres had plenty of chances to deal Hasek before he put his foot down. The Sabres were going nowhere and Hasek and everyone else knew it. You can't blame the guy for wanting a chance to win. ;)

I just wish he'd have stayed in retirement, he belongs in a circus now next to the bearded lady.

Kansas, where does any player get the right to dictate terms of a trade? We can debate the truth of it, but the Sabres said at the time they were willing to pick up the option on Hasek, but Hasek had already gone to owner John Rigas and requested a trade. Picking up the option would have called Hasek's bluff to retire. I wish they had done that, just to spite the creep.

DeLuca, come on now. Winning the Cup was never important to Hasek. Puh-lease. Orchestrating his way out of town, showing people who the boss was, going someplace where he would get more attention were the driving factors. You know that car commercial where they talk about low ego emissions? Dom is the guy with the bullhorn -- because Daddy never hugged me, because Daddy never hugged me, because... Look at me! I must be seen! I must be seen! If winning the Cup was Dom's motivation, he would never have been seen again after winning it. Instead, he retired, screwing us over one more time when we didn't get that extra pick, came back a season later to the Wings, screwed them over, retired, came back again with the Sens and screwed them over. And don't think this wack job is done. He always returns, like a bad case of diarrhea.

PA you sound like a jilted lover. :D

You did notice his numbers before the Olympics however? He gave Ottawa the division title from his first half play.

Of course he did, he needed to make sure he was picked for the olympics didn't he?

I never said Dom wasn't a good goalie, I'm just sad that he's turned into a circus act these days, because it's starting to overshadow how great he was.

I back DeLuca on this one. PAFan -- you can be so nasty! It's also insane to say he didn't want to win the cup -- that was the whole point of him going to detroit and then ottawa.

However, there is NO WAY I want Dominik back on this team next year. That was a complete circus Ottawa went through at the worst possible time. I don't really think it was Dom's fault, but ultimately you'd have to say his presence hurt that team during the playoffs. At the very least we would be absolutely certain to have a major goalie controversy, which couldn't possibly be good for Miller.

Hasek will not sign on as anyones backup, cause he could still beat out most teams starter. Wll a team needs is a solid backup to give the guy a rest for some games (he is in his 40's) and a team will be a playoff team. He was the Sabres in the late 90's and carried this team, which is why I don't count the fact that regier was so great for the first 2 ECF's Buffalo was in. Put in any other goalie and you can't gaurantee Buffalo would have done what they did

Archived