Golisano just in it for the bottom line?

LabattBlue

So then why does any player sign before they can test the market, even if there original team offered them a huge amount?

There's an upper limit in the CBA - the guys that are getting signed are getting ridiculous money so far with multiyear deals. They are getting great offers to keep them off the market. It isn't about sentimentality.

Unfortunately, Tallinder (and pretty much all the other RFA D-men) are arbitration eligible. If the Sabres gave the #4 D-man on the team (yes, I realize he has longevity w/ the Sabres, brings many intangibles, and was at the top of the league in shot blocking) a $3MM+ salary, don't you think the other guys would go to arbitration and say we have more ice time than Jay, more points, are younger, were as durable (or better), and in the case of Henrik and Toni played against better opponents than Jay, so we deserve at least as much money if not more than Jay.

Those guys wouldn't have to bring players from other teams into the mix, they'd be able to make a case right on their own team.

Would an arbitrator in the "new NHL" buy their arguments? Would the arbitrator buy Buffalo's arguments that the reason Jay got the big payday was a reward for longevity and intangibles moreso than his traditional stats? I don't know for certain, but one definitely would have sided with the players over Darcy in the "old" NHL. I certainly wouldn't want my wallet held hostage to that possibility.

Now that also depends on how you look at Buffalos defence, I thought we had 4 lines and 6 defencemen we could put against anybody and that theya re all pretty similar. You are all making it sound like Tallinder is Pronger and McKee is Edmontons 4th defencemen. McKee brings alot to the table for the Sabres and so does Tallinder. But this was only Taqllinders first full year as buffalos #1 defencemen, where McKee is a veteran who has been around for a while. I can see an arbitrator awarding Tallinder a raise, but I doubt after only one good season, Tallinder will be awarded a contract similar to McKees

Now that also depends on how you look at Buffalos defence, I thought we had 4 lines and 6 defencemen we could put against anybody and that they are all pretty similar.

You don't really believe that our 4 forward lines are all "pretty similar"?

Hecht-Briere-Dumont = Pyat-Gaustad-Mair?? :blink: :blink:

The Sabres may play the 4th line more than other teams, but don't ever believe that they are similar in talent to the first three lines.

Now that also depends on how you look at Buffalos defence, I thought we had 4 lines and 6 defencemen we could put against anybody and that theya re all pretty similar. You are all making it sound like Tallinder is Pronger and McKee is Edmontons 4th defencemen. McKee brings alot to the table for the Sabres and so does Tallinder. But this was only Taqllinders first full year as buffalos #1 defencemen, where McKee is a veteran who has been around for a while. I can see an arbitrator awarding Tallinder a raise, but I doubt after only one good season, Tallinder will be awarded a contract similar to McKees

It's not just one season. Tallinder's numbers over the last three seasons are better than McKee's. It's hard to imagine an arbitrator ruling that Tallinder should be paid less than McKee.

Good points as always. But what else is there for people to doom and gloom about in the off season? I am convinced that there are certain individuals who will doom and gloom no matter what the circumstances.

If you are referring to me as one of these individuals, I'm going to have to take offense. How can you actually sit there and say you're not concerned about losing McKee? And the fact that you want to give Darcy a pass on everything makes me sick. People need to wake up and realize that we do have a lazy front office that alienates players and it's about time someone steps up and tries to hold them accountable instead of saying "Well we had a good year so there is no reason to complain.," as if that's some reason to let people off the hook. I want this team to build off of last year and that means bring in a couple top 4 defenseman and make another serious run, along with the rest of our team in tact. I am sick of us being so close but management not doing what it takes to take it to the next level. But whatever, that's my opinion, even if not many of you agree.

If you are referring to me as one of these individuals, I'm going to have to take offense. How can you actually sit there and say you're not concerned about losing McKee? And the fact that you want to give Darcy a pass on everything makes me sick. People need to wake up and realize that we do have a lazy front office that alienates players and it's about time someone steps up and tries to hold them accountable instead of saying "Well we had a good year so there is no reason to complain.," as if that's some reason to let people off the hook. I want this team to build off of last year and that means bring in a couple top 4 defenseman and make another serious run, along with the rest of our team in tact. I am sick of us being so close but management not doing what it takes to take it to the next level. But whatever, that's my opinion, even if not many of you agree.

What is the "next level"? They were the best team in hockey and lost because of a rash of freak injuries.

McKee is a role player on a team of role players. If McKee is gone you replace him with someone to fill that role.

Treating McKee like he is Pronger is absurd. He wasn't the best defensemen the Sabres had in the playoffs. He filled a role that included blocking shots. He made have the most but he wasn't the only one doing it. McKee for $2 million a year is a nice fit for this team. For more money? McKee is overrated.

Well I am sorry for offending, but what it comes down to, as much as I would have liked to keep McKee around, he is not worth $4 million a year.

I think most of us have come to the realization that most GM's haven't yet...money is limited in the new NHL. Sure some teams might not have a budget like the Sabres do, but they seem to forget when they drop big money on one player, their third and fourth lines are going to suffer.

Am I sad to see Jay go? You bet I am...but, when the dust settles after this fury of big name signings, there are going to be a lot of quality players left that teams aren't going to be able to afford. You have to look at what's best for the team. Bringing in 2 good defenseman is a better way to spend $4 million than on one defenseman that's #4 on the depth chart.

Ah, there's the rub! Will the Sabres take those four million dollars (which don't even exist, actually) and bring in a pair of two million dollar defensemen. I tend to doubt it. In fact, if they do, I'll give you the old reach around. Ah, there's the tug!

Archived