It took 5 games, but I finally did it...

SDS

#22 has finally taken off where Mike Bossy stopped, as this RW'er netted his 1st two top shelf cookie goals on Father's Day! WooHoo!

After my loving wife congratulated me on my 1st points, she then proceeded to inform me that she was surprised at how "slow I was out there"... doh! :lol:

#22 has finally taken off where Mike Bossy stopped, as this RW'er netted his 1st two top shelf cookie goals on Father's Day! WooHoo!

After my loving wife congratulated me on my 1st points, she then proceeded to inform me that she was surprised at how "slow I was out there"... doh! :lol:

Nice. :lol:

Details. Details! Did you roof them?

They were carbon copies of each other. Their goalie gave up rebounds like Paris Hilton gives up.... er... well, you know. I just camped out 10 feet in front of the net with my thick, 5'6" 160 lb body, got a rebound and snapped a wrister into the top right corner.

Later in the same period, I was in the same spot and our center fed me a pass from behind the net and I snapped another wrist shot in the same place... We lost 4-6, but it was our closest game yet and we only had 2 lines. If we had a 3rd line we would have won our 1st game, IMO.

Since I wanted a reality check, I asked my wife to gauge how well I was playing w.r.t to my teammates, at which point she nailed me with the uppercut right to jaw... I was sloooooooow out there... I would have preferred a kick in the balls than to hear that one (I thought I had decent speed, just poor lateral movement).

Nice. Just stop giving the score like a girl would (4-6) and you are officially a hockey player. Maybe a little slow, but you own the front of the net. You go where others dare not. You are... Dave Andreychuk. OK, your goals were a bit too pretty.

This is inspiring. I've always toyed with the idea of playing hockey, but I figured I would suck beyond belief. SDS, had you played or skated before now? If you can snap wristers into the top corner, maybe I can!

SDS, you can try to come in front of my net, but you'd likely get your 5-6 160 knocked on your azz by my 5-8 200. I take no prisoners in front of the net, punk.

Good for you. Have fun. Try to play more than once a week; that's the key to improving your speed and stamina.

This is inspiring. I've always toyed with the idea of playing hockey, but I figured I would suck beyond belief. SDS, had you played or skated before now? If you can snap wristers into the top corner, maybe I can!

I played a lot of street hockey growing up. Some occasional pond hockey on boots, but that was 20 years ago. I played some street pickup once a week for a few years in my late 20's. The nature of pickup is always the better athletes dominate (which I was, especially in the speed category), but that doesn't mean I was a good hockey player in the sense that I was always well-positioned, etc... I would easily come home with half the goals scored with an orange ball, but that was usually because of my ability to out-hustle as opposed to mesmerizing stick-handling skills.

I've never owned a pair of hockey skates until Feb., although I would occasionally wear my brother's which were 2 sizes too big when I was in HS. I haven't skated in 15 years, but the last time I skated I was able to faithfully go in counter-clockwise circles w/o falling down, perform a hockey stop to one side at medium speed, and do crossovers to one side.

Starting in March I skated 2-3x a week and now I am comfortable with my forward crossovers both sides, I can transition from forward to backward fairly well, skate backwards (albeit slowly and I am not yet good enough to do backwards crossovers). I can do hockey stops at full speed to one side, but not the other (my weakest point by far and slightly embarrassing).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am fairly athletic, so sports come naturally to me, but no - I have never played ice hockey in any meaningful sense, however I come with a good chunk of street hockey skills. I think if you are interested, all you really need to do is grab some skates and hit the open skating sessions, if you can skate forward, turn, and stop without much difficulty, than you can find a league that caters to beginners. What is nice about playing in a league is that, IMO, positional hockey is easier for beginners who have the knowledge, but not the physical skills because you limit yourself to an area (covering one man on the point) and you push the puck up on your side. In pickup, it is every man for themselves and weak skating abilities is only exasperated, by the free-wheeling nature of the beast.

This book was very well done in my opinion:

http://www.scottnoble.net/

The guy picked up hockey at age 35 (like me) and is now obsessed with it... His hockey reviews on epinions landed him this book deal!

I also picked up Laura Stamm's Power skating video and book...

SDS, you can try to come in front of my net, but you'd likely get your 5-6 160 knocked on your azz by my 5-8 200. I take no prisoners in front of the net, punk.

Good for you. Have fun. Try to play more than once a week; that's the key to improving your speed and stamina.

The unstoppable force meets the unmoveable object? :lol:

In my 1st game, I had some dude well over 6ft, plant his stick in my chest and just started skating me out of the front of the net, at which point my center hit the other winger who walked into the empty space for our 1st team goal...

I still give myself one point for that. :lol:

I try to play pickup once a week also to try and improve my stick-handling and confidence with the puck. I was finding that I was getting rid of the puck as soon as I touched it for fear of losing it (despite no one being around me). Now, I'm looking to skate a little bit and take a seam if they are giving it to me.

I played a lot of sneaker hockey growing up. Some occasional pond hockey on boots, but that was 20 years ago. I played some pickup sneaker hockey once a week (I say "sneaker" to avoid confusion with rollerblades) for a few years in my late 20's. The nature of pickup is always the better athletes dominate (which I was, especially in the speed category), but that doesn't mean I was a good hockey player in the sense that I was always well-positioned, etc... I would easily come home with half the goals scored with an orange ball, but that was usually because of my ability to out-hustle as opposed to mesmerizing stick-handling skills.

I've never owned a pair of hockey skates until Feb., although I would occasionally wear my brother's which were 2 sizes too big when I was in HS. I haven't skated in 15 years, but the last time I skated I was able to faithfully go in counter-clockwise circles w/o falling down, perform a hockey stop to one side at medium speed, and do crossovers to one side.

Starting in March I skated 2-3x a week and now I am comfortable with my forward crossovers both sides, I can transition from forward to backward fairly well, skate backwards (albeit slowly and I am not yet good enough to do backwards crossovers). I can do hockey stops at full speed to one side, but not the other (my weakest point by far and slightly embarrassing).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am fairly athletic, so sports come naturally to me, but no - I have never played ice hockey in any meaningful sense, however I come with a good chunk of street hockey skills. I think if you are interested, all you really need to do is grab some skates and hit the open skating sessions, if you can skate forward, turn, and stop without much difficulty, than you can find a league that caters to beginners. What is nice about playing in a league is that, IMO, positional hockey is easier for beginners who have the knowledge, but not the physical skills because you limit yourself to an area (covering one man on the point) and you push the puck up on your side. In pickup, it is every man for themselves and weak skating abilities is only exasperated, by the free-wheeling nature of the beast.

This book was very well done in my opinion:

http://www.scottnoble.net/

The guy picked up hockey at age 35 (like me) and is now obsessed with it... His hockey reviews on epinions landed him this book deal!

I also picked up Laura Stamm's Power skating video and book...

The unstoppable force meets the unmoveable object? :lol:

In my 1st game, I had some dude well over 6ft, plant his stick in my chest and just started skating me out of the front of the net, at which point my center hit the other winger who walked into the empty space for our 1st team goal...

I still give myself one point for that. :lol:

I try to play pickup once a week also to try and improve my stick-handling and confidence with the puck. I was finding that I was getting rid of the puck as soon as I touched it for fear of losing it (despite no one being around me). Now, I'm looking to skate a little bit and take a seam if they are giving it to me.

Some terminology for the beginners.

If it is played indoors and you aren't skating, it is called floor hockey.

If it is played outdoors and you aren't skating, it is called street hockey.

I've never seen anyone (outside of Maryland?) play "sneaker hockey". :P

Some terminology for the beginners.

If it is played indoors and you aren't skating, it is called floor hockey.

If it is played outdoors and you aren't skating, it is called street hockey.

I've never seen anyone (outside of Maryland?) play "sneaker hockey". :P

I know it sounded gay - I just made up the term for convenience. However, roller hockey is so popular now that I didn't want PA to think I was skating on roller blades when I said street hockey... Roller hockey can be played in the street... :P

I know it sounded gay - I just made up the term for convenience. However, roller hockey is so popular now that I didn't want PA to think I was skating on roller blades when I said street hockey... Roller hockey can be played in the street... :P

Yes, it can. But it is still ROLLER hockey. Just like street hockey can be played in a driveway. :P

Actually, on a totally random note. Playing roller hockey in the streets is how the Mullens got their start (so I can see where fear of confusion on the part of PA could have set in :) ). Of course, I'm pretty sure they were wearing those pathetic roller disco style skates :o , but it was roller hockey nonetheless.

Archived