This Day in Sabres History :: June 6

June 6, 1983

On draft day in Montreal, Scotty Bowman makes one of the worst trades in team history, sending leading goal scorer Tony McKegney, Andre Savard, J.F. Sauve and a third round draft choice to the Quebec Nordiques for Real "Buddy" Cloutier and a first round pick. Bowman owns three of the first 11 picks in the draft and takes goaltender Tom Barrasso, winger Norm Lacombe and center Adam Creighton. All in all, it's a good draft -- John Tucker is taken in the second round, Daren Puppa in the fourth and Uwe Krupp in the 11th. But the trade comes back to haunt Bowman. Cloutier, who had scored 65 goals in the previous two seasons with Quebec, pots just 24 in Buffalo and is gone after one season and a handful of games after playing his way into Bowman's doghouse. And in the 1984 playoffs, the former Sabres play key roles as the Nordiques sweep the Sabres in the first round. Cloutier? He is a healthy scratch for Game 3 of the series.

June 6, 1983

On draft day in Montreal, Scotty Bowman makes one of the worst trades in team history, sending leading goal scorer Tony McKegney, Andre Savard, J.F. Sauve and a third round draft choice to the Quebec Nordiques for Real "Buddy" Cloutier and a first round pick. Bowman owns three of the first 11 picks in the draft and takes goaltender Tom Barrasso, winger Norm Lacombe and center Adam Creighton. All in all, it's a good draft -- John Tucker is taken in the second round, Daren Puppa in the fourth and Uwe Krupp in the 11th. But the trade comes back to haunt Bowman. Cloutier, who had scored 65 goals in the previous two seasons with Quebec, pots just 24 in Buffalo and is gone after one season and a handful of games after playing his way into Bowman's doghouse. And in the 1984 playoffs, the former Sabres play key roles as the Nordiques sweep the Sabres in the first round. Cloutier? He is a healthy scratch for Game 3 of the series.

Man. I hated that trade. I loved Mckegney - what a sniper. Savard - best toothless grin ever, and

J.F. Sauve - would have been a perfect fit for today's game. What the hell did Bowman ever see in Cloutier?

Man. I hated that trade. I loved Mckegney - what a sniper. Savard - best toothless grin ever, and

J.F. Sauve - would have been a perfect fit for today's game. What the hell did Bowman ever see in Cloutier?

Bowman also made a controversial trade in 1981 when he sent me, Schoenfeld, Gare and Smith to Detroit for Foligno, Dale McCort--a bust--and Brent Peterson who turned out to be ok. Never will forget Schoenfeld crying and hugging Rick Azar at the airport when he was leaving.

Bowman also made a controversial trade in 1981 when he sent me, Schoenfeld, Gare and Smith to Detroit for Foligno, Dale McCort--a bust--and Brent Peterson who turned out to be ok. Never will forget Schoenfeld crying and hugging Rick Azar at the airport when he was leaving.

I cried that day too.

Hell yes I cried too! Dad traded away a member of the family!! :(

I remember Gare being very bitter to the tune of something like..."How could they do this to me after all I've done for the team".

In hindsight, Foligno had 10 good years for the team and Peterson was a solid checking center for 4 years. It's safe to say Foligno was one of the most popular Sabres in their history.

I remember Gare being very bitter to the tune of something like..."How could they do this to me after all I've done for the team".

In hindsight, Foligno had 10 good years for the team and Peterson was a solid checking center for 4 years. It's safe to say Foligno was one of the most popular Sabres in their history.

Peterson was a great faceoff man.

I know, that is a hard trade to judge, because Sauve came back to the team anyways and Mike Foligno was one of the all time great Sabres. Too bad McCort was such a bust. McCort's brother was an official or Referee for awhile, too I believe. That was a really emotional trade. Those players were so close to the community. I just remember the shock. It would be like trading away Brier, Mckee and another player that's been around awhile and was part of who the team was.

This is not a knock on Mike Foligno at all, but I don't think his popularity EVER rivaled that of Schoeny or Gare.