Did anyone else catch the empty seats?

SDS

OLn was talking about the "sellout" and how there were not enough tickets to be had, when the panned to a section on the stands and there looked to be an entire section empty. It happened around the 7:00 mark of the 3rd period...

What's the point? Bills playoff games, and more than a few Sabres playoff games, over the years did not sell out. The RBC Center looked packed, and sounded loud, to me.

I don't understand how there can be any confusion about whether a game sold out or not. But this is the NHL, where a concussion is an upper body injury.

Mike Emrick said, without equivocation, that the game was sold out, and sold out quickly. If there was an empty section, or tons of empty seats, Emrick would have seen it. Maybe I am awfully naive, but I cannot believe a broadcaster of his stature would flat out lie about a sellout. I refuse to believe it.

What's the point? Bills playoff games, and more than a few Sabres playoff games, over the years did not sell out. The RBC Center looked packed, and sounded loud, to me.

I don't understand how there can be any confusion about whether a game sold out or not. But this is the NHL, where a concussion is an upper body injury.

Mike Emrick said, without equivocation, that the game was sold out, and sold out quickly. If there was an empty section, or tons of empty seats, Emrick would have seen it. Maybe I am awfully naive, but I cannot believe a broadcaster of his stature would flat out lie about a sellout. I refuse to believe it.

quickly my ass, checked today around 11am and you could still have gotten 4 in a row. Mike Emrick and the Canes should get married.

quickly my ass, checked today around 11am and you could still have gotten 4 in a row. Mike Emrick and the Canes should get married.

OLN is not going to go on the air and say "Somehow Carolina has not been swept up by Stanley Cup fever, as there are thousands of empty seats for tonights game 1 of the Finals! And not only that, we're not even pulling in 10% of the viewers here in Raleigh! So I don't know why anyone in Iowa, Missouri or Illinois would care about this game if Carolinians don't seem to!"

They're not going to sh#t all over their investment like that, and neither is the NHL, so every game is a sellout, according to them.

If you really want to see if these games are selling out, go online and search for blocks of seats. If you find them on game day, the game's not sold out.

I'm just pointing out what I saw and asked for verification from anyone else. The wife and I were watching and I found it ironic that they were talking about the sellout and then showed a large section of empty blue seats.

I could care less if they sell out or not, what I am more interested in is the apparent conflict of Emrick's report and what I saw on the screen right in front of me.

This is a lie, only tickets available for this game at any point today were extra standroom only at $280 a pop. I watched the game and saw a packed house don't know what game you guys were watching.

This is a lie, only tickets available for this game at any point today were extra standroom only at $280 a pop. I watched the game and saw a packed house don't know what game you guys were watching.

Did you record the game? If you did - go to the 6:53 mark of the 3rd period and listen to the discussion. Then explain the shot of the empty seats.

Not true. I too went on ticketmaster and searched successfully for seats this morning.

Lie? I think that is a little harsh. I was online at around 3 o'clock and you could purchase

8 seats together in section 314 at $100 a piece. You couldn't purchase 16 seats together however.

There did look to be quite a few empty seats scattered around Bettman's section.

BTW, nice first post. <_<

My bad, it was at 1 o'clock today:

Section Row Type Ticket Price Convenience Charge Description

314 H Regular priced admission US $100.00 US $11.10

PRICE LEVEL 9

UPPER LEVEL SEATING

GOAL ZONE

Do you still believe in the Tooth Fairy? Santa Claus?

Maybe it is because I've moved on to the "acceptance" phase of dealing with the season, but harping on the attendance and the level of fan in Carolina seems petty.

I don't think there is any doubt over which city has a stronger hockey base or commitment to the team or history. If you ask me, yeah, either Buffalo or Edmonton fans "deserve" the Cup more than Carolina fans, but that is really neither here nor there.

In some sick joke, the hockey gods have decided to put the best (or most fortunate) hockey team in a non-traditional market (FOR THE SECOND "YEAR" IN A ROW). Blame Bettman and over-expansion, not the fans. If we liken ourselves as true hockey fans up here in Wester New York, then we just look like piss-poor sports grousing about the attendance at these games.

Again, this opinion is likely the product of me shifting to the "acceptance" phase.

Maybe it is because I've moved on to the "acceptance" phase of dealing with the season, but harping on the attendance and the level of fan in Carolina seems petty..

Again, for the record, I live in the Carolinas. Most folks don't know there was a important hockey game last night. I still haven't accepted it - sorry. Maybe it would be different if I was back in WNY.

The tooth fairy? Silly little fairy...

Guys... Carolina 4, Buffalo 2. Carolina wins the series 4 games to 3. Deal with it.

I'm extracting myself from any thread that bashes Carolina. If it makes you guys feel better, go ahead. Rod Brind'Amour is ugly, the cheerleaders are all related, the goal judge is the scorekeeper's uncle and brother, they can't sell out playoff games, and reruns of Hee Haw get better ratings than hockey. Great.

Guys... Carolina 4, Buffalo 2. Carolina wins the series 4 games to 3. Deal with it.

I'm extracting myself from any thread that bashes Carolina. If it makes you guys feel better, go ahead. Rod Brind'Amour is ugly, the cheerleaders are all related, the goal judge is the scorekeeper's uncle and brother, they can't sell out playoff games, and reruns of Hee Haw get better ratings than hockey. Great.

I can't control the responses, but I certainly didn't bash Carolina. I brought up a legitimate discrpency between what they were announcing and what they were showing and asked for confirmation or clarification from another board member.

OLn was talking about the "sellout" and how there were not enough tickets to be had, when the panned to a section on the stands and there looked to be an entire section empty. It happened around the 7:00 mark of the 3rd period...

#1) why do we care?

#2) I am fairly certain the shot you saw was of the Rexall Center in Edmonton. That was the shot they showed there, just checked on the TIVO. The section you see is in the upper left corner of the screen,no?

#3) Guess Bills fan suck too then, seeing as how the greatest game in Bills history didn't sell out in time to get on TV. And at least in football tickets on sale a week prior, and a hell of a lot cheaper than these tickets were, and the game was guaranteed to be on TV in Carolina.

Pa - do you wanta go in for Hurricane season tickets next year? I'm sure the champs will have plenty of good seats available...

#3) Guess Bills fan suck too then, seeing as how the greatest game in Bills history didn't sell out in time to get on TV. And at least in football tickets on sale a week prior, and a hell of a lot cheaper than these tickets were, and the game was guaranteed to be on TV in Carolina.

Hey chucklehead - why don't you reread my post and point to where I said any fan base "sucked".. <_>

Again, for the record, I live in the Carolinas. Most folks don't know there was a important hockey game last night. I still haven't accepted it - sorry. Maybe it would be different if I was back in WNY.

Exactly. It's a much different story if you live amongst the clueless.

I'm just pointing out what I saw and asked for verification from anyone else. The wife and I were watching and I found it ironic that they were talking about the sellout and then showed a large section of empty blue seats.

I could care less if they sell out or not, what I am more interested in is the apparent conflict of Emrick's report and what I saw on the screen right in front of me.

We don't have blue seats. What happened yesterday was ticketmaster released a few extra tickets which they sometimes do on the day of an event. If you tried to get tickets 2 days ago there were only Standing Room Only Seats available. Sometime yesterday morning they released extra tix which were all scooped up by gametime.

Hey chucklehead - why don't you reread my post and point to where I said any fan base "sucked".. <_<

your right, you didn't say that, and I was wrong. Just seems to me that us Sabre fans are blasting the Canes fans,or OLN for no good reason.

Like I said, the shot you wre referring to I am 100% certain was in Edmonton

All i can say is my brother in law i think a typical Canes fan. Never a hockey fan till he moved to Raleigh, grew up in Va Beach, but now has gone to 4 playoff games. Makes bout 4 games a year in regular season. He has spent prolly close to $1000 going to those games.

While he is not as passionate, nor has loyalties to the Canes as deep as his loyalties to VA Tech football, he still shelling out some big time bucks for a team and sport he did not grow up with. I think a lot cane fans like that, and I give them credit for it.

Archived