Trolling the Carolina Message Boards

wjag

I like to read the enemy MBs to get some perspective. Now before any thinks I endorse any of what follows, I make a disclaimer. This is presented for entertainment purposes only. I do think he has an argument on point 2.

Originally Posted by Caniacforever

1. Roy PUNCHES Eric Staal in the face and only recieves the diving call that he was levied at the end of the play. He totally gets away with bashing our best player in the face, and all he gets is a stupid diving penalty that he was going to be assesed anyways. Eric Staal gets a bloody lip, Roy gets a diving penalty.

2. The first Buffalo goal was the product of old NHL interference. Once again, Roy sets a massive pick on Chad Larose while the puck is in the offensive zone, it creates a chance, and Buffalo scores. Roy was standing still holding Chad Larose, who more than likely would have contested the shot. That's interference by the book, and it cost Carolina a goal.

3. Not a single penalty in the 3rd period, when Carolina carries play and there are holding and interference penalties all over the place. Carolina gets one deadly obvious high sticking call, and Eric Staal makes it stand up. If the game is called in the 3rd like it is called all game, Carolina likely gets two or three more powerplays and makes it even for all the ticky tack calls that were levied against them in the first two periods. The officials stole our momentum at the start of the game after the goal. Then when we finally get a much deserved powerplay, it's negated by a VERY marginal call on Justin Williams.

4. Ryan Miller punches Eric Staal in the face for being in his crease, due to the fact that he was tripped into it. Take your pick on which one to call here. Neither were. Even coincidental minors would have helped Carolina at this point, but they have already swallowed their whistle by this point.

5. Roy dives all over the ice like the goaltender who shares the same name. The kid is a disgrace. I hadn't noticed it a great deal until this game, but he took three dives in the first period alone. Thank goodness one was called to confirm it.

6. Mike Commodore tripped behind the net and nothing is called. There is nothing around to impede the view of the officials, but they still blow the call. Mike Commodore is our newest diver, apparently.

7. In the scrum that resulted in a Buffalo powerplay in which they scored on, Taylor Pyatt elbows Mike Commodore not once, but twice, in the face down low with his back to Commodore. Blatant elbows. Carolina gets penalized in this exchange, and Buffalo scores.

There you have it folks. You can't beat the stripes. This is the first time in this playoff year that i've been this blatantly disappointed in how one sided the calls were in a game. Usually, they're just terrible on both sides and spend the entire game giving makeup calls, but by the time they started to call this game evenly it was already too big of a hill to climb.

I don't make a habit out of complaining about officiating, but this has to go. It was the worst called game i've seen this playoff year by far. All of those above mentioned infractions cost us three of the four goals that were given up.

"6. Mike Commodore tripped behind the net and nothing is called. There is nothing around to impede the view of the officials, but they still blow the call. Mike Commodore is our newest diver, apparently."

:lol: :lol:

He had the best dive of the playoffs thusfar and wasn't called.

It was just so bad it was comical. I thought it a decent no-call for

the diving.

Funny, cause I thought the officiating was one sided during the first period, and it wasn't an advantage to the Sabres.

Face it Carolina fnas, if Roy is a Diver, so is Commodore. The refs swallowed their whistles in the third because they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, letting the players decide the game. The penalties being called were blatant penalties, any other penalties were all minor stuff that really didn't affect the play

Whining about Roy and Miller hitting Staal in the face after a play has ended? Did they not see the Carolina player make the initial hit/contact on the player after the whistle that Miller and Roy were retaliating against? Watch the next 10 seconds after any whistle and you will see a Carolina player come over and hit a Sabres player, once the Sabres player retaliates, the refs come over and put someone in the box, otherwise, the refs just come over to break it up.

First its the quality of Ice at the HSBC that was slow (funny cause the Sabres were skating around pretty fast on the ice, maybe the sabres were playing on better ice and Carolina had to play on a different surface) and now it was because the refs didn't give them enough Power Plays for some small stuff that the refs didn't call. I'll be so much happier when the Carolina fans are back to watching something they know much more about, NASCAR. Oh, and if any 'Canes fan reads this, tell Ric Flair to retire and stay retired already, he looks like an idiot in the ring trying to make people believe he could still win an actual fight

4. Ryan Miller punches Eric Staal in the face for being in his crease, due to the fact that he was tripped into it. Take your pick on which one to call here. Neither were. Even coincidental minors would have helped Carolina at this point, but they have already swallowed their whistle by this point.

Anyone see this? I don't remember this at all. Unless he drops a stick and glove, how does he punch anyone? That would be so obvious.

Wow, it sounds just like the Filly fans, with less swearing and fewer misspellings/typos...

Anyone see this? I don't remember this at all. Unless he drops a stick and glove, how does he punch anyone? That would be so obvious.

I saw it and IMO, Staal definitely deserved it - he made no effort to avoid contact with Miller on several occasions, little bumps & slashes after the whistle, etc. and on the play in question, he ran into Miller in his crease. IIRC, it was one of those "oops, someone pushed me, so I'll fall into the goalie and act like I couldn't stop" kind of deals, and Miller gave him a slap in mush with his catching glove.

Miller gave him the old face rake. But Staal was in no hurry to get up, and Carolina spent an entire series running at Brodeur. Pretty standard stuff, you lie on a goalie and you earn good face rub with the glove.

Buffalo got away with one... They could have called it (interference on number 2)... Hear me out and this is why!

Number 2 is kinda right... It was a pick... And perfect at that... A thing of beauty!! The difference, I said DIFFERENCE and why it wasn't called is that Roy actually made it part of his passing play... He "set" the "pick" while still carrying the puck and then dished it (backhand if I recall) back to the point... While he released it back, he kept going to Larose with the same motion as had carrying the puck... Then he put both hands up as to say "look, I ain't stopping anybody!"... That went far in the ref's mind, IMO. Larose made no attempt to approach Roy, basically stayed there... Did he reach and attmept to poke check? And Larose made no attempt to try and go through Roy...

He was creative and it showed... They could of called it if Bufalo had been getting "chippy" earlier... A judgement call... Buffalo was playing STRONG, hard, and CLEAN... That plays with the refs... Remember that Sabres!!!

2. The first Buffalo goal was the product of old NHL interference. Once again, Roy sets a massive pick on Chad Larose while the puck is in the offensive zone, it creates a chance, and Buffalo scores. Roy was standing still holding Chad Larose, who more than likely would have contested the shot. That's interference by the book, and it cost Carolina a goal.

Just as in the NFL... It is hard to call at the goal line.

Again... Just IMO.

Really though, they weren't whining about the refs any more than many Sabres fans after game 2. Lot's of complaining by both fan bases in this series. Face it, the home team is going to get some better calls imo. Also, the team that's controlling the play will get the benefit of more calls since the chasing team is always prone to putting a little hook on a guy or taking an interference penalty. It's just the way it is.

The Sabres tonight have to be very careful to not give the 'Canes many PP's. Our margin for error is too small now.

Really though, they weren't whining about the refs any more than many Sabres fans after game 2. Lot's of complaining by both fan bases in this series. Face it, the home team is going to get some better calls imo. Also, the team that's controlling the play will get the benefit of more calls since the chasing team is always prone to putting a little hook on a guy or taking an interference penalty. It's just the way it is.

The Sabres tonight have to be very careful to not give the 'Canes many PP's. Our margin for error is too small now.

EXACTLY!

Of course Ruff is drilling this into their heads... What is the odds they read this board for good measure?

:D :D ;) ;)

3. Not a single penalty in the 3rd period, when Carolina carries play and there are holding and interference penalties all over the place. Carolina gets one deadly obvious high sticking call, and Eric Staal makes it stand up. If the game is called in the 3rd like it is called all game, Carolina likely gets two or three more powerplays and makes it even for all the ticky tack calls that were levied against them in the first two periods. The officials stole our momentum at the start of the game after the goal. Then when we finally get a much deserved powerplay, it's negated by a VERY marginal call on Justin Williams.

If the 3rd had been called like the first two, they'd have never had the chance to come back.

BTW, I don't follow the 'let the players decide the game' argument. That means thuggery and dirty play will be able to more easily beat superior skating, passing and shooting. Consistent enforcement of the rules is all I ask...

This is why I hate complaining about officiating. Barring those occasional egregious mistakes, both sides always feel like they got the short end of the stick. I'm sure most officials have some sort of ledger in their head when doling out penalties to make sure they're somewhat even, even when it doesn't seem that way.

BTW, I don't follow the 'let the players decide the game' argument. That means thuggery and dirty play will be able to more easily beat superior skating, passing and shooting. Consistent enforcement of the rules is all I ask...

I think what the "Let the players decide the game" theory is basically they are not going to call the small minor penalties that had no effect on the play, and are only calling penalties that effect the play, or are blatantly obvious and deserve to have the play stopped and a team penalized.

Nearly every "issue" they discussed involved either Eric Staal or Mike Commodore. Something tells me that when the same two members of your team are involved with every "issue" had with the referees, you may need to take a closer look at those players. As said in an earlier topic, Commodore is a punk, headhunter and diver and Staal is an even worse diver. And by the way, 'Canes fans, Derek Roy stands about 5'8" and weighs around 160 lbs. He doesn't have to dive in order to be knocked around the way he's been. Your big defenseman and mid-sized forward there act like they've been shot everytime a stick or body comes near them. Who are really the divers?

Archived