So if the Sabres win the Cup...

X. Benedict

I don't think they have a choice if they submitted the change request to the league office. From what other people have said, they have to put the application a year in advance. So, I would imagine, they would have to change no matter what.

That will be an incredibly good problem to have.

Yes to go from being bankrupt and without ownership to "Do we stay with the uni's we won the cup in, or do we go ahead with the switch?" would be great.

Another tough problem will be, "Where do we put the Lindy Ruff statue?"

I don't think they have a choice if they submitted the change request to the league office. From what other people have said, they have to put the application a year in advance. So, I would imagine, they would have to change no matter what.

For as much bureaucratic bull$hit that goes on with filling out forms and formal requests and that sort of thing, I think there is still room for common sense to prevail. The reason professional sports teams require a year notice for uniform changes is to make sure the new uniforms are tested to certain standards (different enough from other teams to be recognizable, tested for appearance on television, etc.).

My guess is that if the Sabres were to win the Stanley Cup and request to keep the current uniforms, the league would not force them to change to the "new" blue and gold uniforms. In fact, I would think the league would prefer it's Stanley Cup Champions to remain in the same uniforms to prevent any confusion to the casual fan next season. It's better to keep your best team as recognizable, and therefore marketable, as possible.

With all that said, I would still hope they would switch back to the Blue and Gold next year regardless of winning the cup or not!

I personally prefer the blue and gold, but it has been so long now there are a good portion of kids college age and younger who either barely remember it or don't remember it at all. But at the end of the day, let's not forget why they are doing it and why they changed to begin with ... they will sell more crap if they change.

That still applies, even more so after a great season ... Cup or no Cup, people be buying up what's left of the red and black stuff and also jump all over the blue and gold stuff in the fall ... it's turning into the perfecrt storm.

Can someone please start ANOTHER thread about this?

Blue and Gold regardless of outcome.

Maybe I missed it, but this is the first thread I saw asking what would happen if they win the cup...

I've seen ones regarding the uniforms but not asking this hypothetical question. Even if there is one, its not on the first page and I don't think too many people just browse the later pages to see topics.

Anyways, we don't have much to talk about in the next 5 days until the first game of the next series, so I don't think this is that annoying!

:P

Rumor has it that Reebok has been working with the league to design an "all new" style of jersey. Not just colors and logos, but cuts, styles, fabrics, etc. Obviously I don't have the details, but assuming they were to stick with the red and black, they would have to be redesigned to adhere to the new uniform styles from Reebok. Didn't anyone else hear this or am I on crack?

You are both right ... Reebok is redesigning uniforms for the whole league, AND the Sabres ARE switching back to blue and gold ... Larry Quinn is on the record saying so ... listen to the old podcasts of The Morning Skate on the Sabres official site and he says it on one of them and once he did there were stories in several media outlets about it. it is not a rumor, but no one knows what they will look like yet.

i admit, that'll be a tough call. i love the blue and gold, and i've always hated that buffalo head. It's just downright ugly and confusing. (is the buffalo in the act of turning? Is that we see that segment off on the right side there...? How about a straight on head shot, designers?)

Archived