General comments on End of Year Locker Clean Out Interviews

Pimlach

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Not to single out Samuelsson but his quote, like many of the the others, is a big part of Adams talking points. 

Why didn't Adams step in?  He is learning his job on the fly too.  

Practice harder?   That is on the coaches first and foremost, but this is why you need those guys that never want to leave the ice after practice.  Need a few that call out the one that are not getting it.   

Until the right leadership emerges within the players, the coach has to do more to instill leadership.

I actually thought Samuelsson's remarks differed markedly from the rest of the team.  He put this squarely on the players when he said, "I would say we wouldn't really need to bring in, like, veteran leadership.  I think guys have been in the league long enough now where it's on us.  We don't need someone else to tell us how to do it."

Granted, it was in reference to veteran leadership rather than coaching, but it seemed like he was taking ownership of it more than the other players.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I wonder if he talked to Adams and decided to not be interviewed.  

I am ready to move on from #28. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

With the talk of the team’s leadership or more importantly lack there of I really do not see how they can bring him back 

Can they ban him from the facility? This team needs new blood.  Adams needs to get this right.  

• Like (+1) 1

The comments to me about the new coach are kind of revealing.  To me, it seems that they are actually being the opposite of accountable by blaming Donnie indirectly by talking about needing accountability and needing to be pushed harder by the coach.  This, in essence, is blaming it on the coach and not actually holding yourself accountable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

The comments to me about the new coach are kind of revealing.  To me, it seems that they are actually being the opposite of accountable by blaming Donnie indirectly by talking about needing accountability and needing to be pushed harder by the coach.  This, in essence, is blaming it on the coach and not actually holding yourself accountable. 

Yes. If Adams was going to tell them anything, it should have been that they were partly responsible and they need to learn from this and get more serious about practice and pre game preparation.  

2 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

Which is what I’ve been saying all season to all the accountable yahoos.  Everyone was screaming from the rafters, “there is no accountability” , “Granato doesn’t hold anyone accountable”.   I asked what that looked like and everyone gave a bunch of platitudes without actually addressing the issue.  The players are the problem.  Granato wasn’t the solution but the answers have to come from within.  These guys need someone who demonstrates personal accountability.  I don’t think it’s anyone currently on the roster. 

15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I sure hope not.  Bring in a McDermott kind of Coach/Leader. 

I know McD is not a perfect coach, and I don't need a litany of responses on his game day errors, but he did fix a bad culture and a bad perception throughout the league.  That is not an easy task as we are PAINFULLY aware. 

McDermott's "Trust the Process" mantra from day 1 was designed to win over a veteran locker room without having the credibility as a NFL coach.  It was thin and those first two seasons were an example of what not to do.  He learned on the job a lot those years, notably doing a mea culpa with some QB decisions in 2017.  

The Sabres being clearly younger require more than that for a HC.  Someone who is an effective motivator that puts them into a position to succeed.  And the GM who is in overall control (unlike with the Bills) has to adapt to the situation.  

• Disagree 1

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

With the talk of the team’s leadership or more importantly lack there of I really do not see how they can bring him back 

Didn’t KA say he’s part of the leadership and identity fabric we do have?

One of the hardest things here is parsing out what statements Adams makes that we choose to believe and which we don’t. I suspect it mostly comes down to individual predisposition 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, SabresVet said:

McDermott's "Trust the Process" mantra from day 1 was designed to win over a veteran locker room without having the credibility as a NFL coach.  It was thin and those first two seasons were an example of what not to do.  He learned on the job a lot those years, notably doing a mea culpa with some QB decisions in 2017.  

The Sabres being clearly younger require more than that for a HC.  Someone who is an effective motivator that puts them into a position to succeed.  And the GM who is in overall control (unlike with the Bills) has to adapt to the situation.  

It was so “thin” he made the playoffs the first year, while starting a rebuild, and with Tyrod Taylor at QB.  

You could easily put a positive spin on his work.  He ended a 17 year drought and helped turn Buffalo into a perennial contender and a place where  players want to play. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It was so “thin” he made the playoffs the first year, while starting a rebuild, and with Tyrod Taylor at QB.  

You could easily put a positive spin on his work.  He ended a 17 year drought and helped turn Buffalo into a perennial contender and a place where  players want to play. 

They made the playoffs despite being a -57 in point differential in 2017, one of the worst marks ever.  The following season, his plan at QB fell apart 2 weeks into the season and their offense half-way through being among the worst since the '78 rules changes to favor passing.  He was definitely not  an out of the box type HC.    

He's learned and I'm not going to belabor it any further.  The Sabres, OTOH, need an experienced coach, I think most can agree, who doesn't need to learn on the job.  

• dislike 1

35 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

They made the playoffs despite being a -57 in point differential in 2017, one of the worst marks ever.  The following season, his plan at QB fell apart 2 weeks into the season and their offense half-way through being among the worst since the '78 rules changes to favor passing.  He was definitely not  an out of the box type HC.    

He's learned and I'm not going to belabor it any further.  The Sabres, OTOH, need an experienced coach, I think most can agree, who doesn't need to learn on the job.  

The Sabres need an experienced coach for many reasons.  

They also need the results McD got.  All your caveats on McDermotts accomplishments are immaterial.