Oilers fire HC Jay Woodcroft

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

After a few minutes of googling which I probably should have done before my previous post it appears you're right, but that it's common for teams to do what EDM did, and that teams often grant permission to other teams to interview their coaches for what amounts to a promotion... basically it seems to be considered bad karma to block a promotion to one of your coaches.

I just don't recall it happening in-season.  I understand that if you have an assistant coach or AHL coach under contract and they get an opportunity in the off-season to interview for a job that represents a promotion, that it is bad form to block them from that opportunity. I've just never seen a guy leave a position with one organization for such an opportunity in the middle of the season.  Usually when an NHL head coach is on the hot seat and people are talking about who might replace him if he is fired, the discussion swirls around the veteran guys who currently aren't working (Gallant, Boudreau, etc.), or the assistants on the NHL team, or the head coach of the NHL team's minor league affiliate.  I have no issue with it; it kind of opens up the options for mid-season head coaching changes.  

7 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I just don't recall it happening in-season.  I understand that if you have an assistant coach or AHL coach under contract and they get an opportunity in the off-season to interview for a job that represents a promotion, that it is bad form to block them from that opportunity. I've just never seen a guy leave a position with one organization for such an opportunity in the middle of the season.  Usually when an NHL head coach is on the hot seat and people are talking about who might replace him if he is fired, the discussion swirls around the veteran guys who currently aren't working (Gallant, Boudreau, etc.), or the assistants on the NHL team, or the head coach of the NHL team's minor league affiliate.  I have no issue with it; it kind of opens up the options for mid-season head coaching changes.  

Can't recall it happening in-season either, but expect it has happened before (on rare occassions).

But, it does reek of desperation on Holland's part.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The trend of firing these guys after a win is so funny. 

Like what’s the logic there. I’m positive it doesn’t make the coach feel better 

We definitely did that with a coach fairly recently I just can’t remember which 

Taro will know 

Krueger was during the losing streak. Pretty sure Housley was in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The trend of firing these guys after a win is so funny. 

Like what’s the logic there. I’m positive it doesn’t make the coach feel better 

We definitely did that with a coach fairly recently I just can’t remember which 

Taro will know 

Ron Rolston was fired after a Shoot Out Win over rye LA Kings 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.