Sabres Need to Play some of the game in the Senators Zone

wjag

Unfortunately, I was relegated to listening to the game on the internet as OLN showed the CAR-NJ game here in Maryland. Listening to it was brutual as it seemed the entire second and third periods were played in the Buffalo zone.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt you can say seven things about this series:

1. The Sabres NEED TO PLAY SOME OF THE GAME IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE.

2. The Sabres can't play to protect the lead and expect to win. That is not their style. You can't let ANY team take 44 shots to your 17. Especially out shoot you 32-8 over two periods.

3. The Senators have a ferociuos attack. Their attack last night was relentless. The Sabres did a great job penalty killing and blocking shots.

4. The Sabres powerplay was HORRIBLE last night. They couldn't get across the blue line and when they did, Ottawa was always there to send the puck out. THAT MUST BE FIXED.

5. The pre-series hype lead us to believe that the Senator's Defense was going to be the difference in the series. Well it has been. Their mishaps have led to breaks for the Sabres and they have made the MOST of them.

6. Why oh why are the Sabres not hitting??? Don't take that!!! Hit 'em back especially on home ice where the Refs should be more favorable.

7. The Senators BEAT UP the Sabres last night. The list of injuries is very concerning.

Now having said that, it is amazing how much heart they have played with. You get the feeling that there is something special going on here. After Timmy was leveled, that could have seriously changed the momentum of the game and series. Give them all the credit in the world for not letting it and perservering with an undermanned team. They are finding ways to win. And that's special.

The Senators have the team to come back. I think Game 3 will be the pivotal game. If the Senators lose, their spirit has to be broken. If the Senators win, Game on. They have the speed and talent to win.

Either way, this is great hockey. These are two very evenly matched teams. Pinch me, I just can't believe the Sabres lead 2-0.

Sabres Fan in Maryland

where are you located in MD young man?

Bel Air... Grew up in Hamburg, NY... Haven't lived there for a very long time, but my family is there and I still consider Buffalo my "home". But then, don't we all. Something about this city gets under your skin.

Sabres Fan in Maryland

I agree that we have to hit more. However, i'm taking game 2 with a grain of salt. Whatever the gameplan was, it had to be altered due to the connolly injury, and later the kalinin injury. I expect to see them hit hard tonight. And welcome to the board!

Archived