Sabres Alumni and Team Culture

PerreaultForever

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Why do they need to publicly push it out as marketing media?  Is it really that entertaining?

I think the Sabres marketing has gotten way better the past couple years when they started focusing on fun interactions between current players.

I thought you wanted the alumni stuff because it helps the players?   Maybe the Sabres just don’t think it makes for very good content.

I do want the alumni helping the players I was just responding to the post saying they do a lot with the alumni in the community. It's hard for me to compare and judge what "a lot" is when you don't see it. That was sort of a side comment.

The issue for me, in the simplest terms, is how do you best create that idea of pride in the jersey when the jersey has been a joke for a decade? I think more continuity with the eras we were a winner in would be a way to help make this a reality. I also think it's too easy for this team to doubt themselves if there is adversity (which there will be) and what culture has been rebuilt is very fragile. We were tight and basically folded in the third last night and if that had been a playoff game with 5 on 5 OT we would probably have lost. 3 on 3 favours us luckily. 

The "fun" stuff you mention isn't a bad thing, I'm not against fun, but I do think we have plenty of that and maybe need more serious work ethic first and foremost. Fun should be after that, not before it. imo

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I do want the alumni helping the players I was just responding to the post saying they do a lot with the alumni in the community. It's hard for me to compare and judge what "a lot" is when you don't see it. That was sort of a side comment.

The issue for me, in the simplest terms, is how do you best create that idea of pride in the jersey when the jersey has been a joke for a decade? I think more continuity with the eras we were a winner in would be a way to help make this a reality. I also think it's too easy for this team to doubt themselves if there is adversity (which there will be) and what culture has been rebuilt is very fragile. We were tight and basically folded in the third last night and if that had been a playoff game with 5 on 5 OT we would probably have lost. 3 on 3 favours us luckily. 

The "fun" stuff you mention isn't a bad thing, I'm not against fun, but I do think we have plenty of that and maybe need more serious work ethic first and foremost. Fun should be after that, not before it. imo

I’m not arguing with you, just talking, but I’m not sure if you can manufacture continuity where there truly isn’t any.  In a similar vein, I’m not even sure how much it matters to these guys that Buffalo was unsuccessful for the past decade.  These are 18-25 year olds.  The here and now is what matters to them.

My point of view is that the Sabres need to assemble a group of driven, high character guys who will push eachother and grow together.  And supplement them with some veterans and coaches who can help guide them a bit.  That group then needs to start winning.  They will establish their own culture and set of internal standards in this way. 

The fun stuff I’m talking about is the stuff they do just for marketing purposes and the documentary type stuff they do for special events.  I don’t think it really reflects the day to day much.

Edited by Curt

As stated above, this question about culture is quite interesting.  But having a great culture isn't necessarily sustaining - look at the Habs, Aisles, & Eulers.  Three teams that at a time defined professionalism and success and look where they are now.

Even the mighty "that's the team you need to emulate" B's were a complete joke before expansion began but after Orr, Esposito, and a handful of others showed up they were winning Stanley Cups within 4 years and have had sustained runs of really strong teams for literally decades with only very minor downturns sprinkled in.  Detroit was known as the Dead Things for ~20 years after having been one of the 2 best in the Original Six Era and then followed being the Dead Things with nearly a 20 year run of being a model franchise.

These things can ebb and flow.  But the key to all the successful teams wasn't that the guys from the past showed up and taught the younguns how to be a _____.  They all had brilliant GMs and very good to great coaching that not only assembled a very talented bunch of players but got the most out of those players.

This team SEEMS to be building a culture of its own.  Am hopeful that they'll get to where we all want to see it reach.  But even if it doesn't and more corrections need to be made, it sure as heck does seem to be on the right track.  The mid-late 20's could be the true "golden era of Buffalo sports" as all 3 of the teams competing at the top level of their sport should be at a minimum contending for being the best in their sport and hopefully more than just the Bandits actually manage to climb the mountain.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But having a great culture isn't necessarily sustaining - look at the Habs, Aisles, & Eulers.

Suzuki and Caufield are surrounded by a storied past with Cups galore, and numerous alumni that come around. They are in rebuild like many other teams and were not even born when the last Cup was won there. I can’t imagine there is a ton of influence the alumni could exert on today’s team. It’s more for the fans.

The Sabres just need to continue having special nights (Miller, RJ) when they are warranted and that raises the new players’ awareness of the franchises’ past. That stuff doesn’t raise their level by a sustainable amount, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m not arguing with you, just talking, but I’m not sure if you can manufacture continuity where there truly isn’t any.  In a similar vein, I’m not even sure how much it matters to these guys that Buffalo was unsuccessful for the past decade.  These are 18-25 year olds.  The here and now is what matters to them.

My point of view is that the Sabres need to assemble a group of driven, high character guys who will push eachother and grow together.  And supplement them with some veterans and coaches who can help guide them a bit.  That group then needs to start winning.  They will establish their own culture and set of internal standards in this way. 

The fun stuff I’m talking about is the stuff they do just for marketing purposes and the documentary type stuff they do for special events.  I don’t think it really reflects the day to day much.

I don't disagree, I just think these young guys need more guidance and more leadership. If there was a better mix of veterans and kids in the line up I wouldn't even have started this conversation. I also don't want to spend a decade watching them learn from their mistakes. I want them to be a team that knows what it takes and how to win in the playoffs as soon as they get there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.