Miller Was Terrible

bob_sauve28

I agree with sticking with Miller. He definitely needs the defence to support him better but he looks likes he's fighting the puck a little and not controlling his rebounds as well as he could. But, let's not change the winning formula. If he can make the first save, the defence gotta help the guy out. Let's not let the poor guy get shelled like Barrasso used to 20 years ago when he would make the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th save while the defence stood around and watched.

I think Miller was a little nervous playing his 1st NHL playoff game against a higher seeded team in their barn. That said, he battled hard through the nerves and I can only think of 1 goal that I think he had a legitimate chance to make a save on (Ottawa's 2nd). Heck, he had no chance on the Heatley goal and NEARLY got the glove on it.

I really think the combination of 2 huge saves in the 3rd combined with the team pulling the game out will calm his nerves tremendously. He has 2 days off and he really seems to be able to improve his game when he has an opportunity to get a solid practice session in.

I'm not saying he will win the next game (heck, I wouldn't have money on ANY game in this series, these teams are too closely matched) but I am saying he will play better than he did last night. And, all things considered, I think he played alright last night.

Also, although Emery can not play worse than he did last night, he will have a much harder road getting mentally ready for Monday night. It will definitely be interesting to see how he reacts to last night's game.

The morning after, now that the smoke has settled, I really don't mind Miller's performance last night at all.

I didn't like some of the rebounds he was giving up, but most of those rebounds were occuring on screened shots.

Otters 1st goal - Miller had no chance...Vanek never picked up his man

2nd goal - bad rebound, I'll admit...but Miller caught a tough break, if you watch the replay, Tallinder was caught in front of the net without a stick and was unable to get the puck out of there, or tie up his man very well.

3rd goal - This was the one goal I really didn't like. Miller got beat, flat out. Havlat didn't do anything spectacular, and Miller is usally strong on breakaways. Bad goal.

4th goal - Not a great initial rebound, but for goodness sake, Miller made 3 quick great saves Before Heatley was able to put the puck in the net. You can't hang this one on Ryan.

5th goal - This was the only other goal that I didn't really like, Fisher collects a big rebound and beats Miller 5 hole. Bad rebound by Ryan.

6th - No chance on the cross ice pass.

So, in summary, in my opinion, only 2 of the goals can really be placed on Miller. I think that's pretty good for a night like it was.

The morning after, now that the smoke has settled, I really don't mind Miller's performance last night at all.

I didn't like some of the rebounds he was giving up, but most of those rebounds were occuring on screened shots.

Otters 1st goal - Miller had no chance...Vanek never picked up his man

2nd goal - bad rebound, I'll admit...but Miller caught a tough break, if you watch the replay, Tallinder was caught in front of the net without a stick and was unable to get the puck out of there, or tie up his man very well.

3rd goal - This was the one goal I really didn't like. Miller got beat, flat out. Havlat didn't do anything spectacular, and Miller is usally strong on breakaways. Bad goal.

4th goal - Not a great initial rebound, but for goodness sake, Miller made 3 quick great saves Before Heatley was able to put the puck in the net. You can't hang this one on Ryan.

5th goal - This was the only other goal that I didn't really like, Fisher collects a big rebound and beats Miller 5 hole. Bad rebound by Ryan.

6th - No chance on the cross ice pass.

So, in summary, in my opinion, only 2 of the goals can really be placed on Miller. I think that's pretty good for a night like it was.

Nice analysis, Top Shelf.

I'd disagree about the 3rd goal though. Havlat specializes in being able to flat out beat goalies in that situation and is one of the best in the league at doing it. If it was anyone other than Havlat (or Heatley) I'd agree that Miller should have won the battle, but I can't blame him for giving up a breakaway goal to Martin Havlat in Ottawa.

Good point Dave...I think I might not be giving Havlat enough cred...I think that was probably about what...the 3rd breakaway goal (including OT shootouts) Miller has allowed all season? Ryan is really strong in those situations normally. Of course, he's not going to stop all of them, but I think we've all become accustomed to watching Miller shut the door on breakaways.

They have to play Miller on Monday. This is his biggest game of the year so far. The Sabres are gonna be in real tough. Every team needs a goalie who can steal at least one game all by himself.

This is the one. I will be very surprised if Buffalo isn't facing a steamroller. Miller, this is your game. This is the one he needs to steal.

Let's see what he's got.

You guys are nuts. What stunk was the Sabres defense. How many times did Miller malke the save only to have a Senator standing all alone to knock it in> Or have 5-6 whacks at the puck with Millers D just standing around and watching? Play $hitty D and give up 6 goals.

Emery was the weak goalie in this game. 7 goals on 23 shots is not playoff-caliber goaltending. He coughed up the game tying goal, and was beat by a wrister to lose the game. He is going to get ROASTED by the Ottawa press.

NHL Playoffs goalies cannot consistantly give up meaty rebounds like that and expect a good outcome.

NHL Playoffs goalies cannot consistantly give up meaty rebounds like that and expect a good outcome.

All I know is that Miller has been good enough to get the Sabres out of the first round and a 1-0 series lead against the best team in the NHL in round two.

I agree that Miller from time to time has problems with controlling rebounds, but unless he falls apart completely, you stick with him.

They have to play Miller on Monday. This is his biggest game of the year so far. The Sabres are gonna be in real tough. Every team needs a goalie who can steal at least one game all by himself.

This is the one. I will be very surprised if Buffalo isn't facing a steamroller. Miller, this is your game. This is the one he needs to steal.

Let's see what he's got.

No doubt the Sens' skaters come prepared for this next game. The questions are: will Emery be prepared and what will the Sens' skaters do if he isn't?

Miller needs to keep the Sabres in the game long enough for Emery to melt down (if he is going to). When the game is done, if Buffalo does come out of Kanata with a 2-0 lead, there is a very strong likelihood that Miller will have "stolen" it.

Archived