Philly's gameplan

X. Benedict

The good news was how few chances the Forsberg line had, only 13 shots. Bad news is that their strategy will change. Look for them to throw the puck at Miller tonight and try to get as many faceoffs in their offesive zone as they can. Hitchcock is a smart coach, and all the Flyer missed shots will stand out as very obvious: the missed shots allowed the Sabres to clear the zone quickly which played to their defensive speed and allowed for odd-man rushes. Look for a ton of Flyer wrist shots tonight - even soft ones - to get faceoffs to allow the Flyers to play bigger.

The funny thing about game one is that both teams failed to capitize on their characteristic strengths. For Philly the size of their forwards and a solid forecheck, for Buffalo the success of the powerplay.

We will also see if fatigue is a factor. Players with more than 30 minutes of ice-time from Sat:

Philly:

D Hatcher 31min

D Pitkanen 34min

D Desjardin 32min

Buffalo

C Briere 30

We will also see if fatigue is a factor. Players with more than 30 minutes of ice-time from Sat:

Philly:

D Hatcher 31min

D Pitkanen 34min

D Desjardin 32min

Buffalo

C Briere 30

Flyers didn't skate at all yesterday. Sabres had a light workout. Both are conducting pregame skates today.

I expect to see a MUCH better performance out of Lydman tonite, who played one of his worst games Saturday. Briere and Max should also play a little smarter. Better decision making nets them a couple PP goals to take game 2.

It's hard to say that the Sabres didn't shoot enough, especially when they put up a team record in shots, but Lindy has commented on some of the players' reluctance to shooting the puck, especially during odd man rushes and the PP. I think it's unreasonable to expect the Sabres to fire another 50+ shots tonight, but I think we will see them trying to shoot a bit more from the point on the PP.

A couple people have pointed out how the Flyers worked to take away the cross ice passes down low (like the one Briere ended it on) during our PP. One way to get those to open up a bit is for the guys at the point to start firing again.

Kotalik, Campbell, Pominville and Connolly should all be firing a bit more tonight, provided the Sabres get some traffic in front of the net. Personally, I think that's where Vanek is really valuable...he's probably the best player the Sabres have at redirecting shots in front of the net.

Remember, the 50+ shots were including 1 1/2 erxtra periods, they only had a little over 30 before OT

I have noticed that this team does not like to take a shot on the PP unless they have a hole, they don't take many chances at just firing the puck and hoping it gets deflected in. All they would do is get it into the Flyers end and pass back and forth until someone had no choice but to shoot.

Remember, the 50+ shots were including 1 1/2 erxtra periods, they only had a little over 30 before OT

I have noticed that this team does not like to take a shot on the PP unless they have a hole, they don't take many chances at just firing the puck and hoping it gets deflected in. All they would do is get it into the Flyers end and pass back and forth until someone had no choice but to shoot.

I'd consider 41 a "few" more than just a little over 30.

You are correct about the team waiting for a "good" shot on the powerplay, but they have been doing that all year and, for the most part, it has worked.

As for Lindy's comments about not shooting, while it may have been directed partially at the pp, I think it was more directed at plays like Dumont skating in on a 2 on 1 and trying to pass even though the D-man was playing pass entirely, Briere was in position to fly in for any potential rebound, and Dumont was in the slot.

I think you'll see the Flyers push the envelope as far garbage after the whistle, crashing the net, bigger fore-check, more interference. I think tonight's game will be a key game for the officials. Will they call it?

They will try to intimidate as much as possible. I was very impressed with the physical play of Kalinin, Gaustad and Grier last game. Grier especially. I thought he really took on the role of a leader by not backing down and initiating a lot of contact with the Flyers. It just felt like he was telling the younger, smaller Sabres to "get on board, Mr.Grier will carry you".

I'd consider 41 a "few" more than just a little over 30.

You are correct about the team waiting for a "good" shot on the powerplay, but they have been doing that all year and, for the most part, it has worked.

As for Lindy's comments about not shooting, while it may have been directed partially at the pp, I think it was more directed at plays like Dumont skating in on a 2 on 1 and trying to pass even though the D-man was playing pass entirely, Briere was in position to fly in for any potential rebound, and Dumont was in the slot.

I agree about the PP. I think in general fans are too impatient with the PP. If someone is in the shooting lane, don't shoot it. "Taking a chance" on a shot from the point on the PP with someone in the shooting lane is much more likely to result in a blocked shot on the PP, then a deflected goal. When a shot like that gets blocked, it's possible for nothing to happen, but usually the best case scenerio is the PK unit clearing the zone. This means 15-30 seconds to get the puck back in and set up. Worst case scenerio is it turns into an odd man rush the other way, which is dangerous with forwards at the point.

We have one of the best PP units in the league. I think their patience has paid off all year. If they stay patient and wait for the right shot, they will find the scoring touch.

I agree about the PP. I think in general fans are too impatient with the PP. If someone is in the shooting lane, don't shoot it. "Taking a chance" on a shot from the point on the PP with someone in the shooting lane is much more likely to result in a blocked shot on the PP, then a deflected goal. When a shot like that gets blocked, it's possible for nothing to happen, but usually the best case scenerio is the PK unit clearing the zone. This means 15-30 seconds to get the puck back in and set up. Worst case scenerio is it turns into an odd man rush the other way, which is dangerous with forwards at the point.

We have one of the best PP units in the league. I think their patience has paid off all year. If they stay patient and wait for the right shot, they will find the scoring touch.

Some of the best, but not against the shorty. It's best to wait for that reason alone.

Archived