This Day in Sabres History :: April 14

April 14, 1996

The Sabres have beaten the Whalers, 4-1, Seymour Knox has said goodbye to the Aud, and to us, the banners have been taken down in dramatic fashion and skated off, Marine Midland Arena-bound, the horn has blasted one last time after Pat LaFontaine slips the puck into the ceremonial empty net. Suddenly, the lights are off. The Aud, the building where the Sabres ? and a lot of us ? grew up, is gone. Then it happens. One final magical moment in a place whose history is filled with so many. A stirring chant of "Let's Go Buffalo!" crisply punctuates the air, the words shouted in unison with such passion the fans seem to think they can bring back Gilbert Perreault for one more breakaway goal. Fans cling to the Aud as the words "Thank you, fans" are cast on the darkened ice. But the chant, like the Aud itself, finally fades out and goes silent. A nostalgic, bittersweet night to say "farewell, old friend."

April 14, 2000

It's No Goal II as a shot by the Flyers' John LeClair goes through the side of the net -- and is counted. Philly beats Buffalo 2-1 to take a 2-0 lead in the first round of the playoffs as the best of seven series returns to Buffalo.

April 14, 2001

Jay McKee takes a drop pass from Erik Rasmussen and slides a half-speed shot along the ice past Roman Cechmanek in overtime to give the Sabres a 4-3 win over the Flyers and a 2-0 lead in the best of seven opening round series as it shuffles off to Buffalo.

While the Sabres top my personal memory agenda "The Aud" truly was a special place that provided many memories and bonds growing up. Sitting in the "grays", watching Braves games, and my introduction to another love - college basketball with the Little 3 doubleheaders. Little did I know that watching Calvin Murphy play for Niagara and Bob Lanier as a Bona Brown Indian wasn't your "average" college player.

April 14, 1996

The Sabres have beaten the Whalers, 4-1, Seymour Knox has said goodbye to the Aud, and to us, the banners have been taken down in dramatic fashion and skated off, Marine Midland Arena-bound, the horn has blasted one last time after Pat LaFontaine slips the puck into the ceremonial empty net. Suddenly, the lights are off. The Aud, the building where the Sabres ? and a lot of us ? grew up, is gone. Then it happens. One final magical moment in a place whose history is filled with so many. A stirring chant of "Let's Go Buffalo!" crisply punctuates the air, the words shouted in unison with such passion the fans seem to think they can bring back Gilbert Perreault for one more breakaway goal. Fans cling to the Aud as the words "Thank you, fans" are cast on the darkened ice. But the chant, like the Aud itself, finally fades out and goes silent. A nostalgic, bittersweet night to say "farewell, old friend."

I would love to be able to go in the Aud one more time and just walk around for a couple of hours. What great memories.

April 14, 1996

I have been to one comeback game, 3 AFC championships, 3 Stanley Cup finals games, mayday, dave hannan, i've met a former US President (bush), been to an F-1 grand prix, hell, gotten married, seen the stones, but nothing will top that night... I don't have a child yet so i can say that. Being there for that game was the top sports memory i've ever had. 10 years ago... that's a long time but the memory is as fresh as yesterday. HANDS DOWN the greatest and most moving sports moment in my life. (that comeback game is a close close second though)

April 14, 1996

The Sabres have beaten the Whalers, 4-1, Seymour Knox has said goodbye to the Aud, and to us, the banners have been taken down in dramatic fashion and skated off,

You like how Mike Wilson was one that took part in helping take the banners down...

ha!

April 14, 2001

Jay McKee takes a drop pass from Erik Rasmussen and slides a half-speed shot along the ice past Roman Cechmanek in overtime to give the Sabres a 4-3 win over the Flyers and a 2-0 lead in the best of seven opening round series as it shuffles off to Buffalo.

This is my greatest Sabres memory ever away from the Aud or the Arena. Three good friends and myself were on spring break in Cancun, Mexico. We took the bus to J.W. Marriott's Sports Bar which carried all the hockey games. They had a giant screen and about 10 different TV devoted to the NHL Playoffs. On the giant screen, they had the Kings vs. Red Wings I believe and only a few people were watching. So the manager went on the loud speaker and said who wants to watch this game, a few people said yes. He then asked about another game and again a few people said yes and finally he said "who wants to watch Buffalo versus......." The place went NUTS. I turned around and everyone looked at each other. Western New York was in house. There was easily 30-40 Buffalonians and we all watch and went nuts as McKee scored in OT.

Trip To Cancun: $1,000

Bus To Sports Bar: 50-cents

Watching the Sabres win a playoff game in OT with dozens of Western New Yorkers in a 95-degree tropical weather: Priceless