Devils take over fourth

haseoke

if jersey can close this thing out, thatll be the call for whether we're mice or men. theyve won nine in a row. in time for a letdown in round one? we can only say hopefully.

on the bright side, it seemed like they didn't beat philly impressively. the report said esche essentially sneezed on two of the goals.

j

if jersey can close this thing out, thatll be the call for whether we're mice or men. theyve won nine in a row. in time for a letdown in round one? we can only say hopefully.

on the bright side, it seemed like they didn't beat philly impressively. the report said esche essentially sneezed on two of the goals.

j

Let's not get our panties in a wad just yet. Jersey could still catch the Rangers and take the 3rd seed, or they could hit the wall against Philly on Sunday.

If they end up in 5th, so be it. The Sabres will have to beat someone real somewhere along the line to get their names engraved.

If they beat them in the 1st round, it would be a huge confidence builder for them. The Devils play a style that the Sabres have had much difficulty with this year.

If they go down, oh well. It was a great run. I do think they can beat any of their 3 potential opponents, but it will be real interesting to see how they do.

Devils take over 4th? Gee, and I thought the Sabres were 1 point away from locking that up. :P

And as it currently stands, the Devils are still in 6th.

I think he meant 5th. Jersey is in 5th as they beat the flyers tonight and have more wins.

Normally I would say playing New Jersey would be a favorable matchup...but I HATE the way the Sabres have played New Jersey this year. They smother our offense and force low percentage shots. And that god awful trap...they have to be the most boring team in hockey (Minnesota is close though). Like someone else said though, we are going to have to beat someone good sooner or later...this is the playoffs.

Yes we have to beat someone good along the way, but it would have been nicer if we didn't meet the team that sucks the life out of everyone, in the first round.

Meeting the only goalie with playoff experience in round 1 is not a good thing either. I'd rather have to play the boring Devils after we won a round and everyone was feeling good.

Oh well, nothing we can do about it. Let's just hope Buffalo continues to play its game and we should do ok regardless.

Normally I would say playing New Jersey would be a favorable matchup...but I HATE the way the Sabres have played New Jersey this year. They smother our offense and force low percentage shots. And that god awful trap...they have to be the most boring team in hockey (Minnesota is close though). Like someone else said though, we are going to have to beat someone good sooner or later...this is the playoffs.

At first I got a little nervouse because of our record against them this year, but all our losses to them have come at times when something hasn't been going right. The first one came during our little mini-slump at the end of October (right after a loss to Washington), the second loss came on a night when we were missing a bunch of key players, and the last one came on the second night of a back to back with Briere suspended.

I really see the Sabres coming out strong in game 1, no matter who their opponent is, and being able to build on that for the rest of the round.

They haven't won in the swamp since 2001. I can't think of a better time to break that streak than in the playoffs :)

Quote from Yahoo Power Rankings:

4. New Jersey Devils (44-27-9; Previous: 10) ? The rest of the conference has to be horrified by Martin Brodeur's play of late. His nine-game win streak includes victories over Ottawa, Buffalo, Philadelphia (twice), Carolina and the Rangers.

Shiaat!!!!

Come on. Let's not be neurotic and self-concious for once. They should worry about us! This conference is wide open... Ottawa a tad ahead of the pack and Tampa a tad behind, with Carolina, NYR, Buffalo, NJ, Philly and Montreal all right there. The season begins.

Come on. Let's not be neurotic and self-concious for once. They should worry about us! This conference is wide open... Ottawa a tad ahead of the pack and Tampa a tad behind, with Carolina, NYR, Buffalo, NJ, Philly and Montreal all right there. The season begins.

I agree with PA here. Their victory against Ottawa was in a shootout (and Ottawa was minus Chara that night), they beat the Sabres without Briere and Hecht (plus we were in the midst of a slump, playing our 2nd game in 2 nights and our goaltending was questionable at that time), and when they beat the Rangers, the Rangers were missing Lundqvist.

By the way, the comment on the Sabres in those power rankings makes me think Ruff knows exactly what buttons to push to get Ryan Miller on the top of his game:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AvAa...=yhoo&type=lgns

or maybe thats WHY they're the worst teams in the west.

j

Granted, playing Detroit doesn't help them any, but Chicago and St Louis are both at least 18 points worse than Phoenix, with Columbus 9 points behind Phoenix. Even if Chicago and St. Louis each swept Detroit, they still wouldn't be out of the bottom three. They're just plain bad. Like I said, it must be nice to be in a division like that.

Archived