Captaincy

topshelfcookies

I've noticed that Briere and Drury are listed as "Co-Captains" on the team's website, yet Briere wears the C on his sweater, while Drury has an A. While Briere was out I know that Drury had the C, and I thought it remained that way for a few games after Briere came back from his injury.

It's not as simple as when Briere is out, Drury gets to wear the C, because there were numerous games this season in which Briere has played and worn the A on his sweater. Here's some photo evidence...

Getty Images - Briere photos

Getty Images - Drury photos

For example, Drury wore the C for the Apr 5 game at Ottawa and Apr 1 at Toronto and March 30 at NJ. He had the A on his sweater Apr 3 at Toronto and Apr 7 vs Philly.

Briere was last photo'd wearing the A during the Mar 27 game at NYR and Mar 20 at Atlanta.

Anyone know how this works or why the team does this? As far as I know, the Sabres are the only NHL team to have Co-Captains.

I've noticed that Briere and Drury are listed as "Co-Captains" on the team's website, yet Briere wears the C on his sweater, while Drury has an A. While Briere was out I know that Drury had the C, and I thought it remained that way for a few games after Briere came back from his injury.

It's not as simple as when Briere is out, Drury gets to wear the C, because there were numerous games this season in which Briere has played and worn the A on his sweater. Here's some photo evidence...

For example, Drury wore the C for the Apr 5 game at Ottawa and Apr 1 at Toronto and March 30 at NJ. He had the A on his sweater Apr 3 at Toronto and Apr 7 vs Philly.

Briere was last photo'd wearing the A during the Mar 27 game at NYR and Mar 20 at Atlanta.

Anyone know how this works or why the team does this? As far as I know, the Sabres are the only NHL team to have Co-Captains.

As far as I know, as long as they are both healthy they alternate wearing the C. One game with the C, one with the A.

Other teams have had co-captains in the past. Carboneau and Corson split the duties a few years back for the Habs. I'm sure there have been others, but that is the only one that immediately springs to mind. The reason they do it, is the team doesn't feel that they have one guy that is clearly more of a leader than the other and that both guys have earned the right to be the team captain. NHL rules require a team to dress A captain, so they both can't wear the "C" in the same game.

The details of who gets to go when, I don't know.

I thought that I had read that one guy wears the C at home and the other wears it on the road. You have Drury listed as wearing the A at both home and the road, so that doesn't exactly support this idea. My guess is that they've talked it over and figured out who wears it when. A few scenarios stick out in my mind:

-Drury wears it in Boston

-Briere wears it in Montreal

I thought that I had read that one guy wears the C at home and the other wears it on the road. You have Drury listed as wearing the A at both home and the road, so that doesn't exactly support this idea. My guess is that they've talked it over and figured out who wears it when. A few scenarios stick out in my mind:

I honestly think it's an every other game thing. I think Briere had the C last night, so Drury will have it Saturday, Briere Sunday, Drury Tuesday, Briere for game 1, etc.

It definitely isn't home / road, it isn't even split on the road and Danny gets "red" and Chris gets "black". My guess is that Hopeless is correct on this one and they alternate game by game when healthy.

The Sabres have two captains: Drury & Briere

The Sabres have two alternate captains: McKee & Hecht

Each game they alternate who wears the "C" and I believe they do the same with the "A" when everyone is healthy.

The Sabres are the only team to have co-captains and that's the way Lindy Ruff wants it. He believes everyone on the team should be a leader and wouldn't want to single out just one player as the main leader.

I remember listening to an interview one day where they were interviewing Briere and they asked this same question. Briere said that Drury and himself alternate the C every other game. The only exception to this is when they play Montreal, Briere gets the C, and when they play Boston, Drury gets the C. Not really sure how consistant this is, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you guys.

The Sabres have two captains: Drury & Briere

The Sabres have two alternate captains: McKee & Hecht

Each game they alternate who wears the "C" and I believe they do the same with the "A" when everyone is healthy.

As far as I know, Jay McKee is the only official alternate captain. Due to various injuries, both Hecht and Grier have been interim alternate captains this season. When everyone's healthy, though, they don't share the job.

As far as I know, Jay McKee is the only official alternate captain. Due to various injuries, both Hecht and Grier have been interim alternate captains this season. When everyone's healthy, though, they don't share the job.

EDIT: NEVERMIND.

I remember listening to an interview one day where they were interviewing Briere and they asked this same question. Briere said that Drury and himself alternate the C every other game. The only exception to this is when they play Montreal, Briere gets the C, and when they play Boston, Drury gets the C. Not really sure how consistant this is, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you guys.

That's pretty neat. As you said, though, it isn't entirely consistent. Briere has dressed as the captain against the Bruins.

I think that Jochen is officially an alternate captain. IIRC at the beginning of the season, Danny and/or Chris (whichever wasn't wearing the C) wouldn't wear a letter on his sweater. Since the Olympic break, they have worn A's on "their off night". Not sure if that is due to Jochen's injuries or what.

Since the break and Briere's return, Hecht has not once been dressed as an alternate captain. That seems to indicate that he was only an interim alternate. In addition, Briere and Drury have been rotating since October. When one's a captain, the other's always an alternate. That hasn't changed.

That's pretty neat. As you said, though, it isn't entirely consistent. Briere has dressed as the captain against the Bruins.

Since the break and Briere's return, Hecht has not once been dressed as an alternate captain. That seems to indicate that he was only an interim alternate. In addition, Briere and Drury have been rotating since October. When one's a captain, the other's always an alternate. That hasn't changed.

Hecht wore the A in October and the guy that wasn't wearing the C did NOT wear a letter on his sweater. That seems to indicate tht he was/is a real alternate captain. And it would indicate that "the other's always the alternate" HAS changed.

EDIT: I'm hoping this post was just the result of residual light-headedness from the flu / cold I had this week, 'cause I am WAY too young to be getting this senile. If it's not that, maybe I should try my hand at fiction writing because it's not even remotely close to reality.

Hecht wore the A in October and the guy that wasn't wearing the C did NOT wear a letter on his sweater.

After reviewing game footage from all of the October games, I could find no evidence of this.

That seems to indicate tht he was/is a real alternate captain. And it would indicate that "the other's always the alternate" HAS changed.

However, I was able to confirm that Briere and Drury have been swapping letters since the beginning of the season. When one's a captain, the other's always an alternate.

I would go farther and say that, when both are healthy, Briere also gets the C against Ottawa (which has a large French-speaking population) and Drury gets it against the Rangers (who were his favorite team growing up).

If they play the Sens and/or Rangers in the playoffs, they'll probably alternate C's.

Hecht wore the A in October and the guy that wasn't wearing the C did NOT wear a letter on his sweater. That seems to indicate tht he was/is a real alternate captain. And it would indicate that "the other's always the alternate" HAS changed.

Dave, I think you are mistaken (everyone mark it down, it doesn't happen often). If Briere and Drury are both healthy, they will both always have a C or an A on their jersey. They have been doing this the whole year.

After reviewing game footage from all of the October games, I could find no evidence of this.

However, I was able to confirm that Briere and Drury have been swapping letters since the beginning of the season. When one's a captain, the other's always an alternate.

Mercury, you are right.

I've got to stop posting after 1:00AM, as the memory DEFINITELY doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

As for my previous posts on this subject: NEVERMIND.

Archived