This Day in Sabres History :: April 9

April 9, 1988: John Tucker explodes for four goals, including one on a penalty shot, as the Sabres get back in their opening-round series with the Boston Bruins with a 6-2 win at the Aud. The Sabres now trail the B's two games to one.

April 9, 2000

The Sabres sweat out a 1-1 tie in Washington to secure a playoff berth on the final day of the regular season. Stu Barnes breaks a scoreless tie in the third period, roofing one over Olaf Kolzig, but the Capitals tie it after Richard Zednik takes the puck from rookie Maxim Afinogenov and beats Dominik Hasek on a long, fluky shot. The stars of the day are the Buffalo defense, which allows Washington just 14 shots on goal in regulation, and a piece of gum that Lindy Ruff says he "beat the crap out of" during the tense affair.

April 9, 2000

The Sabres sweat out a 1-1 tie in Washington to secure a playoff berth on the final day of the regular season. Stu Barnes breaks a scoreless tie in the third period, roofing one over Olaf Kolzig, but the Capitals tie it after Richard Zednik takes the puck from rookie Maxim Afinogenov and beats Dominik Hasek on a long, fluky shot. The stars of the day are the Buffalo defense, which allows Washington just 14 shots on goal in regulation, and a piece of gum that Lindy Ruff says he "beat the crap out of" during the tense affair.

I was at that one. The five or six Crapitals fans in attendance were confused why we were counting down a clock in regulation with a 1-1 tie, and why we cheered when it hit 0:00.

April 9, 1988: John Tucker explodes for four goals, including one on a penalty shot, as the Sabres get back in their opening-round series with the Boston Bruins with a 6-2 win at the Aud. The Sabres now trail the B's two games to one.

I was at this game and it is still is one of my all time favorites.

"now Tucker, here he comes, in on Moooooog with the breakaway. Tucker going in SHOOTS HE SCOOOORES! JOHN TUCKER! AND THE SABRES TAKE A 4-2 LEAD! TUCKER WITH THE HAT TRICK!"

My favorite Ted Darling call.

Anyone have this game on VHS?