Ullmark being called up?

MODO Hockey

Goalies take forever to develop. We drafted Petersen in 2013. He's had 4 years of development and still isn't ready for the NHL. Even if we hit on a goalie this draft it will probably be 2021 or 2022 before he has a look at the NHL.

Not every goalie gets drafted when they're 18 though.  I do agree they take a considerable amount of time to develop but if you draft a 22 year old - he could contribute to the organization sooner than the Peterson example.

Not every goalie gets drafted when they're 18 though.  I do agree they take a considerable amount of time to develop but if you draft a 22 year old - he could contribute to the organization sooner than the Peterson example.

Who do you have in mind?  Some goalies develop later and you can sign them as free agents but I'm not sure about the draft.  At quick glance the top 5 rated goaltenders are all 17/18.  There are few / if any 22 year olds in the draft and worth making a pick on.  Are there any free agents 22 that have a legit shot at making an NHL roster?

Who do you have in mind?  Some goalies develop later and you can sign them as free agents but I'm not sure about the draft.  At quick glance the top 5 rated goaltenders are all 17/18.  There are few / if any 22 year olds in the draft and worth making a pick on.  Are there any free agents 22 that have a legit shot at making an NHL roster?

I like what I read about Jake Oettinger who is 19 1/2 but your point is well taken about goaltenders in the draft predominantly being young.   I'd love for us to draft Oettinger in the 2nd round. 

I'd also like JBOT to figure out a way to get either of the Penguins prospects Tristan Jarry or Casey Desmith. 

Foreseeable?  Sure, but the odds, in Murray's opinion, had to be very low.  Buffalo had to feel Petersen was a lock.  They were, as Briere48 pointed out, sending someone to Notre Dame to help him develop his game.  All things can be foreseeable to a certain extent.  Heck, I can even say the Sabres need to consider the idea of Eichel not wanting to stay w/ Buffalo after his ELC expires.  Yes, he'll be an RFA.  But Eichel could tell the Sabres he'll stay in Buffalo for the RFA period, but leave after that.  If that occurred, the Sabres would need to trade him to get something out of it.  So yes, it all can be foreseeable.  But you really gotta consider the odds of that happening.  Let me add I think the odds of Eichel wanting out of Buffalo are extremely low.

I completely disagree. TM was committed to Lehner so Ullmark was always going to be exposed. Also Petersen has already rejected a contract. TM knew that we could lose both and that it had a high possibility of happening. Regardless, with 5 picks in rds 5-7 and not having taken one the year before, there is no excuse for not taking one. We needed another 7th rd forward like a hole in the head.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.