Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Myself, I'm now forever biased by J.P. Loseman against QBs who go by their initials vs first names. :)Or QBs whose last names begin with Fitz and end in Patrick.

My worst nightmare - a QB named JP Fitzpatrick. ;)

Y.A. Tittle!

Edit: a single name post I never imagined making.

Edited by Neo

If he was named Assh0le F4ckface it'd be more appropriate but your point is taken

hahahaha!!!!!!

Y.A. Tittle!

Edit: a single name post I never imagined making.

OMG - wasn't familiar with the name - well, I was about 5 when he played his final post season game, so that might explain it.  LOL From SB Nation:

"Tittle retired from football in 1964 as an all-time great quarterback who was terrible in the postseason. He played in four NFL Championship games -- 1957, 1961, 1962 and 1963 -- and lost them all (note: there was no playoff bracket then, two teams advance to the NFL Championship shortly after the regular season concluded). He had a 32.6 passer rating through those games, completing 43.8 percent of his passes for 657 yards, four touchdowns and 13 interceptions. In three consecutive postseason appearances with the New York Giants, 1961-63, Tittle threw one touchdown to 10 interceptions for a 17.5 quarterback rating. No quarterback had ever lost his first four postseason starts until Tittle. No one would do it again until Andy Dalton did it this past weekend."

You still insist on putting so much into preseason. Again, he may turn out to be a stud, but up to this point he has done nothing that JP Lossman didn't do.

You seem like a passionate fan with some knowledge but your agendas take away from your takes. If you really were close to anyone connected at One Bills drive you'd know that Russ Brandon has nothing to do with football decisions other then being kept informed and sometimes asked for an opinion as any President of a corporation. You want to anoint PM the next great QB when history shows us that it will be three or four years before anyone knows if he's Tim Couch, RG III, Andrew Luck or Big Ben.

At the same time you are ready to dismiss the Bills hires when that same history shows us the selections out of left field (see Bill Polian) have as much chance to succeed as do selections made after an exhaustive search.

You still insist on putting so much into preseason. Again, he may turn out to be a stud, but up to this point he has done nothing that JP Lossman didn't do.

You seem like a passionate fan with some knowledge but your agendas take away from your takes. If you really were close to anyone connected at One Bills drive you'd know that Russ Brandon has nothing to do with football decisions other then being kept informed and sometimes asked for an opinion as any President of a corporation. You want to anoint PM the next great QB when history shows us that it will be three or four years before anyone knows if he's Tim Couch, RG III, Andrew Luck or Big Ben.

At the same time you are ready to dismiss the Bills hires when that same history shows us the selections out of left field (see Bill Polian) have as much chance to succeed as do selections made after an exhaustive search.

Let me be clear. Preseason scores do not matter. But players are getting evaluated. Every year we hear Buffalo fans excuse away the terrible play in pre-season as meaningless yet when the real bullets start flying what do we see? Exactly the same problems! Guys jumping off-sides, coaches punting inside the 40, players holding on every run, terrible pass protection, wide receivers not getting separation.

Now, back to the QB the Bills traded to a known QB guru. On this play, Mahomes has a 6 foot 6 280 lb defender bearing down on him. Mahomes stiff arms the guy and throws a laser for a first down through 3 defenders while on the run. This is what got people excited and it's sad that the Bills have recently passed on Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, and now PM2.

Edited by jeffismagic

QB's playing against preseason defenses shows us as much as if they were playing baseball. It showcases their athleticism and absolutely nothing else.

If what PM is showing in preseason is all that teams need to see to evaluate QB's they would hit on 90% of their selections. It just doesn't work that way.

Edited by tom webster

So why is Tyrod Taylor struggling to complete basic passes then?

One thing has absolutely nothing to do with another. Some guys look good playing flag football some not. Without knowing what they are asked to do you can't answer the question. As I stated previously, Frank Reich was atrocious in preseason, Gale Gilbert a star. The Super Bowl Bills as a whole were something like 3-13 in preseason.

If you paid attention however many years you have followed Football I'm sure you can name twenty pre-season stars never heard from again.

Preseason football is a money grab and serves no other purpose.

The Bills played two games against teams renowned for winning in August. Philly blitzed 7 guys on occasion.

One thing has absolutely nothing to do with another. Some guys look good playing flag football some not. Without knowing what they are asked to do you can't answer the question. As I stated previously, Frank Reich was atrocious in preseason, Gale Gilbert a star. The Super Bowl Bills as a whole were something like 3-13 in preseason.

If you paid attention however many years you have followed Football I'm sure you can name twenty pre-season stars never heard from again.

Preseason football is a money grab and serves no other purpose.

The Bills played two games against teams renowned for winning in August. Philly blitzed 7 guys on occasion.

Well, I don't feel like going round and round about preseason. It is neither meaningful nor meaningless. 

It's meaningless except for maybe roster spots 50-53.

Here is something to debate. The difference between Rob Johnson and Tom Brady is about one and a half seconds. Brady is not the most athletically gifted guy but he can decipher a defense before he gets to the line. Guys like RJ, they are still deciding as they drop back.

It's meaningless except for maybe roster spots 50-53.

Here is something to debate. The difference between Rob Johnson and Tom Brady is about one and a half seconds. Brady is not the most athletically gifted guy but he can decipher a defense before he gets to the line. Guys like RJ, they are still deciding as they drop back.

Brady is not athletic but he has terrific pocket presence. That's something the Bills have not had during the drought.

Easy to be comfortable in pocket when you know exactly what defense is doing.

One last thing a friend just pointed out to me about preseason. 2008 Detroit Lions; 4-0 in preseason 0-16 in regular season.

Well, maybe the Bills are holding back and we will see a much better team when the real action starts. I doubt it though. Right now I expect to see the offense take a step back and the D will struggle to cover people when the opposing QB gets time.

Didn't say anything about holding back, however, time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised to see a step back by the offense while they get acclimated but I don't expect a huge step back and I see significant improvement by the defense. This has been an 8-8 team for three years and with a break here or there, who knows.

Didn't say anything about holding back, however, time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised to see a step back by the offense while they get acclimated but I don't expect a huge step back and I see significant improvement by the defense. This has been an 8-8 team for three years and with a break here or there, who knows.

So if you see this roster as similar to last year what would 6 wins or less say about the new coaching staff?

Nothing long term. Just like 10 wins and a playoff spot won't. See Mike McCoy and many others. Dick Jauron was coach of the year once, for Pete's sake.

Ok. Fair enough. I guess I could see a scenario where the record isn't good but I don't write off the coach. More likely scenario is we do know what we have but I have far less patience than you.

I was done with Bylsma shortly after last year started and only gave him that much time because he inherited a terrible team.

For the record, I was not happy with the DB hire but think he might have been good choice to lay a foundation, however costly and unintentional.

As for the Bills, I think we both agree on some things but main disagreement is how to acquire franchise QB. I'm not TT's biggest fan but I think you can win with him and I don't think that prevents you from finding your QB. In fact, if you are right about PM, then KC did exactly what I think the Bills can do.

For the record, I was not happy with the DB hire but think he might have been good choice to lay a foundation, however costly and unintentional.

As for the Bills, I think we both agree on some things but main disagreement is how to acquire franchise QB. I'm not TT's biggest fan but I think you can win with him and I don't think that prevents you from finding your QB. In fact, if you are right about PM, then KC did exactly what I think the Bills can do.

It is possible that they can parlay their picks into a trade-up for a good prospect. But it also takes a trade partner. KC was lucky that (in my opinion) there was no one who understood the QB position on the Buffalo side of the trade. And it would have been far cheaper to just draft Mahomes! You get him now and if the season goes south you can start getting him into real games. Now the Bills have put themselves into a position where they have to take a QB high in 2018. And that kind of position screwed them over in 2013.

My position was draft Mahomes, move on from TT. Worst case scenario is if Mahomes does not look like a franchise QB prospect as advertised you get another high pick in 2018. I also am angry at the Pegulas for not hiring anyone with any QB expertise on their resume. This is a QB driven league and you need to have coaching assets and scouting assets in place to strike when an opportunity arises. Bills were a day late and a dollar short last year with Dak Prescott. Apparently, they had him in for multiple visits and really liked him. But ended up using a high 2nd and an another pick to draft a 2 down linebacker to save Rex's defense.

Edited by jeffismagic