Which Defensemen Need To Go?

WildCard

Should go?

I'm more thinking about who can go: Everyone but Risto and probably McCabe.

This is the most logical post I've read in regards to the D. A year ago I would have disagreed with you about McCabe but he has been winning me over. He may even get me all lovey eyed if he keeps it up.

This is the most logical post I've read in regards to the D. A year ago I would have disagreed with you about McCabe but he has been winning me over. He may even get me all lovey eyed if he keeps it up.

I heard GM TM talking about McCabe, and he was (as usual) refreshingly candid about who and what he is as a player. He _clearly_ does not want McCabe logging first pairing minutes, and sees him as a second-pairing guy who plays a dependable game, is physical, and is capable of chipping in from time to time in the O-zone.

I heard GM TM talking about McCabe, and he was (as usual) refreshingly candid about who and what he is as a player. He _clearly_ does not want McCabe logging first pairing minutes, and sees him as a second-pairing guy who plays a dependable game, is physical, and is capable of chipping in from time to time in the O-zone.

And we know awesome GMTM is at evaluating defenseman based on how good our squad is.

Some F's should have been given when all 3 of those guys were brought onto the team too.

Well we did send some out: Armia, Lemieux, Compher, Stafford, and Grigorenko, all went out the door in the big trades. Regardless of what they all eventually turn into, that was a good chunk of forward organizational depth. So it's not like we only traded from the blue line. Further, I would argue for big trades the main pieces had to be from the back end because that's where our big chips were--we didn't have a forward version of Zadorov or Myers.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that all else equal, moving out more forward pieces rather than Dmen probably doesn't make the current team better, it's just shuffling deck chairs. If we had McNabb and Pysyk in lieu of Larsson, Girgensons, and Foligno...I really don't think we're a better team. At least not to any meaningful degree.

The problem with the non-O'Reilly trades isn't what went out, but the quality of what came back. We made quantity-for-quality trades that ended up being quantity for lesser quantity but similar quality. It basically worked out to a Myers/Bogo wash, and paying Lemieux, Armia, and a #1 to upgrade Stafford to Kane. Fugly for sure.

For the rest of this year, I like:

Risto - McCabe

Bogo - Kuli

Falk - Fedun

If we can unload Franson and Gorges at the deadline, great.  At this point, maybe give D-Lo another shot at defence (full tme).  Maybe the time away, and knowing it may be his best chance to stay in the NHL, wlll flip the switch for him.  Low risk.

And Falk - Fedun aren't my ideal 3rd pair, but for this year, why burn a year of Guhle's contract.  Let GMTM work a trade over the summer.

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.