In game entertainment

Sabresince70

Just how important is it to you that every stoppage is met with screaming announcers, videos on the board, and dancing fans? After going to an AHL game last night I came to realize that the whole "game experience" has dramatically changed from when I was a kid.

My family is originally from Hershey, and Wed. and Sat. meant family night at the arena. My brothers and I kept score in the programs, sat and watched the game. It was the game itself we went to see. If we even noticed "Coco", I can't remember it. I know there was a 50/50 drawing and some stick giveaways at some of the games, but contests at every (almost every) break was NOT happening. 

Last night, I took my 81 yr old father and 77 yr old mother to a game here in Allentown. The phlyers placed their AHL team minutes from my parents house last year and my mom kept asking what the arena was like. So, finally got seats that didn't require much walking (mom doesn't get around so well anymore), and away we went. 

The game was entertaining (can't get myself to root for anything remotely related to phlyers, so was forced to root for Bridgeport), but my mom's "why do they feel the need to make the game into a production show?" just floored me. She is so right. It felt like they don't believe in the sport itself being entertaining enough.

I am curious as to how many others feel this way. 

Just how important is it to you that every stoppage is met with screaming announcers, videos on the board, and dancing fans? After going to an AHL game last night I came to realize that the whole "game experience" has dramatically changed from when I was a kid.

My family is originally from Hershey, and Wed. and Sat. meant family night at the arena. My brothers and I kept score in the programs, sat and watched the game. It was the game itself we went to see. If we even noticed "Coco", I can't remember it. I know there was a 50/50 drawing and some stick giveaways at some of the games, but contests at every (almost every) break was NOT happening. 

Last night, I took my 81 yr old father and 77 yr old mother to a game here in Allentown. The phlyers placed their AHL team minutes from my parents house last year and my mom kept asking what the arena was like. So, finally got seats that didn't require much walking (mom doesn't get around so well anymore), and away we went. 

The game was entertaining (can't get myself to root for anything remotely related to phlyers, so was forced to root for Bridgeport), but my mom's "why do they feel the need to make the game into a production show?" just floored me. She is so right. It felt like they don't believe in the sport itself being entertaining enough.

Right there with you.  I used to enjoy talking with the people around me during breaks.

Right w/ you. That's one of the cool things about watching HS games. They're just about the game (on the ice & at the rink at least).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.