Nhl.tv

Stads

The Nhl updated it's official app halfway through the season and somehow made it worse. It's almost impossible to view boxscores or highlights. I'll admit that I watch games through a VPN, but I haven't been able to since the switch. The game tonight versus the Flyers is the "Free game of the week" and I still can't watch it because of the blackout rule. They're getting a ton of complaints, but I doubt they really care.

I guess it's back to random streams for me if they're figuring out the VPN. With them playing so bad the last 2 games, it doesn't bother me so much. This is just another example of why the NHL is looked at as #4 in major pro sports. They take something that works and manage to ruin it, kind of like scoring after the lock out.

I guess I'm lucky, I haven't had much trouble with the system as far as streaming games. Features were lost and the interface is kinda ugly (which is saying something since the old interface wasn't pretty), but for my use (put a game on and let it run), other than not cutting out commercials in the replays it's fine.

As for the VPN stuff, it's always going to be an arms race. The content providers figure out how to detect anomalies and block them, and the VPN provider either figures out some way around it or can't. FWIW, there's language in the EULA someone posted that NHL can cancel your account and "fine" you if you use a VPN. It doesn't seem like they're going to do that the first time, but I'd be cautious.

Edited by MattPie

My only issue was my password didn't work first time around and I had to have it reset. Problem solved, picture isn't bad but isn't HD either. Now I know why. I do have it on a ROKU but the app doesn't appear to be nearly as informative as it used to be. Hopefully they cure this soon. I will say the streaming does appear to be much better but whenever I do have a loading issue, I have come to realize I'm better off backtracking the live feed a minute and rewatching things and it miraculously works again.

The worst thing is Hockey Streams is dead. I let my account lapse in december and was upset I was having problems signing up for another year but they got shutdown a few weeks later...so I guess I dodged a bullet there.

That reddit link was a great read, I refuse to pay for a service that will not broadcast the playoffs to me (not to mention the blackouts). I don't own a TV so it's internet streaming for me.

My only issue was my password didn't work first time around and I had to have it reset. Problem solved, picture isn't bad but isn't HD either. Now I know why. I do have it on a ROKU but the app doesn't appear to be nearly as informative as it used to be. Hopefully they cure this soon. I will say the streaming does appear to be much better but whenever I do have a loading issue, I have come to realize I'm better off backtracking the live feed a minute and rewatching things and it miraculously works again.

I'll never understand why somebody hasn't come up with a DVR type Roku with a small solid state drive to use as a buffer. I know I'd pay extra to avoid the 'loading' issues and also have the ability to immediately back up or forwards 10 seconds.

I haven't had any problems either. I guess it depends on what device you use because each device had a different interface. The Roku interface seems to be better. One thing I didn't check, is there still access to the old classic games library?

From the reading of the Reddit post linked above (FWIW), no, there aren't vault games now. I just looked quickly and there's nothing obvious in the Android app that suggests they're available. I looked at the web version and I don't see anything obvious there either. You can scroll back to last season (at least) but there isn't any video available.

The worst thing is Hockey Streams is dead. I let my account lapse in december and was upset I was having problems signing up for another year but they got shutdown a few weeks later...so I guess I dodged a bullet there.

That reddit link was a great read, I refuse to pay for a service that will not broadcast the playoffs to me (not to mention the blackouts). I don't own a TV so it's internet streaming for me.

I'm just shocked that hockey streams lasted that long.

Edited by MattPie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.