R.I.P. Wayne Rogers — Trapper John

PASabreFan

Thanks to syndication and some denial of aging, I was floored that Wayne Rogers was 82 when he died yesterday. He didn't get the farewell Colonel Blake did, though they left the show at the same time, but he certainly deserved it. Only three years on the show, but what an unforgettable character. That laugh. I think my favorite episode was whe he fell in love with the orphaned Korean boy and was going to adopt him and send him home to be with his wife — then the little boy's mother shows up at the end to claim him.

http://www.reuters.com/article/people-waynerogers-idUSKBN0UF1JJ20160101

Thanks to syndication and some denial of aging, I was floored that Wayne Rogers was 82 when he died yesterday. He didn't get the farewell Colonel Blake did, though they left the show at the same time, but he certainly deserved it. Only three years on the show, but what an unforgettable character. That laugh. I think my favorite episode was whe he fell in love with the orphaned Korean boy and was going to adopt him and send him home to be with his wife — then the little boy's mother shows up at the end to claim him.

http://www.reuters.com/article/people-waynerogers-idUSKBN0UF1JJ20160101

Wasn't the reason he didn't get the same sort of send off because he decided to stop after filming for season 3 was finished? I know he stopped because he wanted to focus on real estate.

RIP Trapper - best character on that show. :(

Wasn't the reason he didn't get the same sort of send off because he decided to stop after filming for season 3 was finished? I know he stopped because he wanted to focus on real estate.

He kept acting after M*A*S*H though.  I think he had a dispute with the producers.

That link talks about a morals clause in his contract he didn't like. He also admits if he had thought M*A*S*H would be around for eight more years he probably would have signed the deal. There have always been stories he didn't like how the show was focusing more and more on Hawkeye.

That link talks about a morals clause in his contract he didn't like. He also admits if he had thought M*A*S*H would be around for eight more years he probably would have signed the deal. There have always been stories he didn't like how the show was focusing more and more on Hawkeye.

I'm not sure whether he was upset or not, but if he was, he sure was right.  The Alda-centric episodes of the first three seasons are not exactly among the best.  And the show fell off a cliff after Rogers and Stevenson departed.

He went back to acting, but took a couple of years off IIRC.

Use the google.

I'm not sure whether he was upset or not, but if he was, he sure was right.  The Alda-centric episodes of the first three seasons are not exactly among the best.  And the show fell off a cliff after Rogers and Stevenson departed.

I think that's a little harsh. The show did hang around a few years too long though. I'd say the show lost a lot when Larry Linville left. So much of the dramatic comedic tension was lost there. He was brilliant.

Use the google.

He did a TV movie in '75 which would've taken, what, 2 weeks to film?

Around the time House Calls came out, he said that yes, he had concerns about how Trapper was getting developed but he also really wanted to spend more time on his business. And that having more time for the business is what sealed the deal.

I think that's a little harsh. The show did hang around a few years too long though. I'd say the show lost a lot when Larry Linville left. So much of the dramatic comedic tension was lost there. He was brilliant.

He was indeed.

So I'll revise:  the show started a long, steep slide when Rogers and Stevenson left and crashed when Linville left.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.