Hometown team lineups

Linksfiend

Not sure if I mis-posted this, or an admin moved it to the LeBronapalooza thread.

But it really doesn't have a thing to do with the discussion in that thread and I believe belongs in a new thread.

Anyhow, TSN.ca released this article with lineups for the seven Canadian teams if there starting lineups were all hometown players.

http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?What%2BIf%2BEvery%2BNHL%2BPlayer%2BWent%2BHome%2BLike%2BLeBron&id=457388

Which got me to thinking: What would the Sabres lineup look like for an all Western and Central NY team

F: Patrick Kane, Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown

D: Brooks Orpik & ????

G: Jimmy Howard

Not too shabby. Albeit defense is a weakness. So we might not keep up with the Canadian teams but not too bad for Americans. Although I'd suspect Minnesota and Boston (given most of New England) would also be tough to beat.

Zach Bogosian? Tim Erixon? Francis Bouillon? Matt Gilroy? Mike Komisarek? Brian Lashoff? Nick Petrecki? Rob Scuderi?

Those are the current NHL defensemen from NYS...but the best one would have to be Kevin Shattenkirk.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&province=&state=NY

(They are mostly players from "New York State," but I think that is fair enough and works here with your "hometown team.")

Edited by Bob Malooga

Zach Bogosian? Tim Erixon? Francis Bouillon? Matt Gilroy? Mike Komisarek? Brian Lashoff? Nick Petrecki? Rob Scuderi?

Those are the current NHL defensemen from NYS...but the best one would have to be Kevin Shattenkirk.

http://www.hockey-re...vince=&state=NY

(They are mostly players from "New York State," but I think that is fair enough and works here with your "hometown team.")

Maybe Bogosian. But that's a bit of a step-down.

The rest of those guys I'd have to allocate to NYR or NYI. There's probably some debate even as far as Syracuse. But anyone from south of I-84 would definitely count as NYC metro area.

I'd classify anything west of and including Syracuse would be part of the Sabres Hometown team.

Oh absolutely - I meant the area of NYS between I-84 heading North and West to Syracuse as being debatable as NYC metro area - including the capital area, catskills, lower hudson, and maybe the Adirondacks according to the map on this page.

http://ogs.ny.gov/BU/RE/RS.asp

But WNY, Finger Lakes and Central NY would be Sabre territory

NHLers worth a ###### that played this year with birthplaces listed in NYS north of Westchester:

LW:

Erik Cole

Marcus Foligno

Nick Foligno

Tim Kennedy

RW:

Kane

Callahan

Brown

Gionta

Stempniak

Jeremy Morin

Kaleta

D:

Bogosian (Massena)

Lashoff

Notables from Southern-most Ontario:

LW:

Ryan Sheahan (St Catherines)

Dan Paille (Welland)

Cal Clutterbuck (Welland)

RW:

Nathan Horton (Welland)

D:

Dan Girardi (Welland)

Ryan Ellis (Hamilton)

It's tough because there's "Born near Buffalo" and "Grew up Near Buffalo". Orpik, for instance, was born in San Francisco. Looks like Buffalo is OK on the wings with Folignos on the left and Kane and Callahan on the left. Sucderi or Orpik can play D. Not sure who would play goal, I think Syracuse is pushing it. Center is pretty thin. What else is new.

Probably should start a thread for this... mods?

Goalies (sorry, didn't list them above):

Jimmy Howard (Syracuse)

Connor Knapp (Livingston County)

Ray Emery (Hamilton)

A couple choice posts from the Ennis thread.

The question I'd have is how far can we go into Ontario. Matt Moulson, for instance, is from (Mister and) Mississauga, which is possible. Toronto's players include London ON, which is a three hour drive from Toronto.

I understand your question, but I think this is a bad example. Mississauga is DEFINITELY the Leafs' territory, as it's a suburb of Toronto.

Somehow I was thinking mistaking Mississauga for St. Catherines. Never mind!

Gotcha. Yeah the little chunk of Ontario south and east of Hamilton (St Catherines and NF, and NOT including Hamilton) might count. I'd be interested to hear if one of our SabreSpacers from that area would explain where the fanbase boundaries are in that area. Also is there a name for that chunk of Ontario? Edited by Cereal

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.