The Man Who Never Was TSN feature on Taro Tsujimoto

X. Benedict

With the 40 year anniversary of the pick, the Sabres should really consider retiring his number (74) and putting a banner up at the arena. It's a great story from the teams history and should be honored as such.

His number was actually number 13.

Great idea. We've retired worse candidates. Not really — cheap shot. I think I suggested a while back that the Sabres even hire a Japanese actor (or one of the Tsujimotos in the Buffalo area) to come onto the ice, make a few comments etc.

They can bring in his line mate from the Tokyo Katanas, Hysushi Skors ;)

I don't like this kid Wieland, that's all. He's got his girl using that newfangled mimeograph machine all day. I don't like it! No sir!

You ever smell those fresh mimeographed sheets though? Heaven on Earth!

I was watching a TV feature on the Taro Tsujimoto deal that Imlach and Co. cooked up and yes it's part of Sabre lore and it was a cute and clever way to pull the wool over the NHL's eyes on a cumbersome draft process. But there was a footnote to this light-hearted attempt at hockey humor that enraged me...I never knew that two Stanley Cup winners (Dave Lumley - 2 with Edmonton and Stefan Persson, 4 with the Islanders) were drafted after Tsujimoto, a fictional character, was taken by the Sabres.

So the Sabres squandered a draft pick for a joke...The club has an unfortunate history of soft-headed stupidity that I hope comes to an end with Tim Murray, who I feel is the hard-headed antidote to all that ails us as an organization.

http://en.wikipedia..../Taro_Tsujimoto

But did those teams win because of those players? Or because there were otherwise good teams? That deep into the draft, you're not talking cream of the crop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.