Statistics to debate

tom webster

I must say, that while I don't post here as much anymore, I generally enjoy the debate between seemingly polar opposite opinions. The one absolute truth that I have always believed is that there isn't just one way to build a champion. Here are some regular season stats that I think bare that out;

Hits;

LA 2nd in the league

NJ 23rd

Blocked shots;

LA 29th

NJ 30th

PIM;

LA 17th

NJ 19th

5 on 5 scoring

NJ 21st

LA 29th

Total scoring

NJ 15th

LA 29th

I'm sure that their playoff stats will show a change in approach which only emphasizes LR's belief that players have to play outside their regular season norm, but I'll let all of you discuss.

I'd add these:

Quick

reg season 1.95 and .929

playoffs 1.54 and .946

Brodeur

reg season 2.41 and .908

playoffs 2.04 and .923

I'm not going out on a limb to say there should be some crazy saves this series.

I believe I read this morning that if Quick holds his save% over .940 through the end of the Finals, he'll be only the second goaltender in history to accomplish that (the other being Giguere).

When the puck drops tonight, Brodeur will be only the second goaltender in history to play 200 playoff games (other is some guy named Roy).

I'm sure that their playoff stats will show a change in approach which only emphasizes LR's belief that players have to play outside their regular season norm, but I'll let all of you discuss.

Off the cuff I think that's probably an accurate assessment. What it really says is teams as a whole have to be able to kick it up a notch in the playoffs. If they're a defensive team, they need to be able to get a little more scoring....an offensive team has to play a little better defense....a finesse team has to be a little stronger on the boards, and so on. If a team plays at the exact same level they did all season, at some point some luck or a particular matchup will knock them off. That's really how I saw the Rangers this year....they were remarkably consistent all season long, but once the playoffs hit, they didn't have another level to be able to get to offensively. I'd love to see a comparison of teams' performance in the playoffs versus regular season, and how far they went in the playoffs. If nobody else does it, maybe over the next few days I'll compile a list of team statistics and normalize it for games played (goals/game, shots/game, hits/game, etc.) and see if there are any trends.

I'll add this:

Quick 6'1" 223lbs

Brodeur 6'2" 215lbs

Miller 6'2" 175lbs

Quick played 69 regular season games. There has never been a goalie under 200 lbs to play more than 68 regular season games in the modern era (1970+), and win a Stanley Cup. I once said Grant Fuhr, but was corrected that he was 200. It looks like all the research is erased from the new board archieves. There have been plenty of smaller goalies who have won the Cup, but their playing time was limited. I think the combo of Belfour, Kiprusoff, and a few others lost in the 1st or 2nd round 11 of 11 times when playing over 68 games, and had 6 or so Cups when playing 68 or less.

Brodeur has won it before going over 68, but he is under this year.

Ruff's mismanagement of Miller has long been one of the reasons I am pretty cocksure in the Sabres dismal chances year after year.

If someone knows where to find the old thread, please let me know.

Archived