Hockey and Family priorities?

millbank

Life certainly is change. Some positive some not so. It seems to me a changing demographic of hockey player is starting to emerge at professional level. Simply a more affluent background. (not all) One reason for me is because of the expense involved in playing the game at entry levels. With expense for ice time, travel, equipment , where in times past of hockey being played on outdoor rinks, or to play in indoor rinks more a nominal cost. Today often families who have a set amount of monies available for recreation either the money available much limited or not available at all. Families often while wanting a particular family member or members to participate, in sense of family fairness cannot place those who wish to do so above those interested in other activities.

What hard choices do you make amongst your family and what solutions may you have, such that the game would remain accessible to all who wish to play.

My fear is many are being priced out of it. For me to greatest evil if you will is the change in game where once a young player wore padding, today to play means to be equipped , this equipment at present harming the game in two distinct ways, The first one a obvious in terms of the carnage we see on ice , with the issue of concussions, simply the equipment in itself has become a weapon rather than protection.

The second, simply for a family to equip a child to play today's game is increasingly either at best a substantial high burden where great family sacrifice needed or families are simply saying we cannot afford it.

I liken it how many talk of professional boxing and there was once a time where for many of less fortunate people boxing was one way a young person could dream of rising above crime or a rust bucket type job. Such gave us a number of generations of hungry passionate participants in boxing that today we do not see.

In the instance of boxing this not totally a bad thing as it being a improvement in opportunity for the disadvantaged, where race and culture barriers once existed, it has improved today.

Hockey back in the day also had much of this sort of this demographic, back in the day where many NHL players came from small town Canada, where options and activities were limited, young players developed from less advantaged backgrounds where the game was played by a player who played the game as though his life almost depended on it, often this their shot at actually being something. Today I see many not just in Canada, after it now a game of the World, fine players found in many nations, it hardly exclusive to either Canada or U.S still a very real danger where many who would wish to play the game, being priced out of it, and a game that was once very real a game where to often players play the game not with a passion for it , but a passion for themselves ,

How does the game effect your family and what choices to you have to make to be a participant.

(please forgive to long post, and do wish i were more literate , articulate ect, hope post gives some space for some thoughts on how better all those who wish to play the game may.....

I wish I had a good take. You put a lot of effort into it. I'll let the hockey dads chime in first

thank you for being charitable regarding my post. Fear it a great deal of blabbering. Meant well anyway. Do think that equipping a child to play the game is both far to expensive for most and also very dangerous. With technology available certainly being protected could be accomplished by protective padding rather than to armor worn in today's game. The cost factor of equipment and the equipment used has in my opinion changed to the negative who is able to play the game and how the game is played. Increasingly with the distribution of wealth becoming less so, the number of children and families being priced out of game also getting greater. We find a game where today so many say players play with lack of respect for each other, the game ect. at times I wonder if it any small wonder if the talent pole coming more from the more privileged and self entitled. A generalization on my part for sure, but its a life truth that sometimes in life we need go back in order to go ahead. Sad so many being priced out on, the very soul and spirit of game is what is at issue.imo.

(likely just a old guy ranting) :blush:

appreciate folks patience with me and not being unkind if i off the wall

The only problem with what you said is that this could have been written in the 80's. Maybe earlier, but I can't remember hockey economics of the 70's. It has always been a game for affluent white people with strong parental involvement. Today is no different.

The only problem with what you said is that this could have been written in the 80's. Maybe earlier, but I can't remember hockey economics of the 70's. It has always been a game for affluent white people with strong parental involvement. Today is no different.

On that note my time frame does stretch back into the forties even.... :blush: as well hockey growth as we know it today coming more so from other nations apart from my home country of Canada. As hockey has grown in the United States and other countries , in that light it no surprise those playing the game would be coming from a more advantaged background given the costs to participate. In Canada economics on this light has ruled out many who in generations past would have taken up the game. This has changed very much so the game we see today. My wish would be we find a way such that the game does become one all who wish can play or at least have opportunity, how ever one would view it, it not for the good where the game is the domain of the have's of our culture. Much talk is made in growing game in none traditional hockey markets, certainly one obvious way is to rethink the costs of participation, find better and safer ways , less expensively that give all a opportunity. The economics of game certainly has grown with equipment makers realizing substantial profits, seemingly always on the lookout for different technology, more with profit in mind than protecting those who play it in a inclusive manner. What I see happening as our culture goes through the challenging economic times we live, with greater portions of our fellow citizens having limited resources, those who care about the game and wish to grow it, need be thinking of means that it can be a more inclusive game that the one that is seemingly only a growth industry and domain of the more privileged. How ever you cut it new or old problem, it a problem that need be dealt with it the import be truly in growing the game. .

( fearful of yaking away and showing myself a knucklehead for sure, thank you much for your patience. )

I look back at the sacrifices my parents made for me and my brother monetarily as well as all the early mornings and weekends travelling. New equipment every couple years as well as hockey schools and power skating courses and I feel a certain amount of guilt. Neither of us made it beyond rep minor hockey teams and then it was on to the beer leagues like the vast majority of the players that take up the game. I never believed I would make it and played only because I had a passion for the game and thats why Dad was always involved. He was a passionate player himself until the body wouldn't let him compete anymore. I can't imagine what the parents paid over the years but I would hope they found enjoyment in the ride.

I look back at the sacrifices my parents made for me and my brother monetarily as well as all the early mornings and weekends travelling. New equipment every couple years as well as hockey schools and power skating courses and I feel a certain amount of guilt. Neither of us made it beyond rep minor hockey teams and then it was on to the beer leagues like the vast majority of the players that take up the game. I never believed I would make it and played only because I had a passion for the game and thats why Dad was always involved. He was a passionate player himself until the body wouldn't let him compete anymore. I can't imagine what the parents paid over the years but I would hope they found enjoyment in the ride.

I'm willing to bet your parents wouldn't change a thing if they had the chance to do it all over again.

I'm willing to bet your parents wouldn't change a thing if they had the chance to do it all over again.

Being a dad with kids in sports, this is 100% correct. Not expecting either kid to get a ride or ever make a dime playing a sport..but think it a very important part of the maturation process.Will never question the costs.

Having said that, neither plays hockey, but my sisters kid plays in DC. Long story, but to be on the the travel team is almost $2,500 more a year..and that does not include hotels etc. I am not quite sure why the extra..but that is what she told me. $200 a month a lot of cake with $4.50 gas out there.Not sure what house costs..but sure that ain't cheap either. Plus kid is a goalie..glad my kids swim and play lacrosse and basketball.

Brothers kids play travel in Tonawanda, but I have no idea of costs there in WNY.

Archived