Just not strong enough at center

Sabre fan

Is the NHL the only one of the 4 major sports that provides for 100% guaranteed contracts(assuming no buyout)?

I forget how escrow works - but the players bear risk on the profitability of the NHL season and in.a down turn could forfiet money held in Escrow.....but I think 88 percent guaranteed is more accurate.

If the players wanted to take a major step forward they would insist on no salary cap.

We would be watching the 2004-05 season again. :unsure:

Why can't they have both in the CBA(salary cap and non-guaranteed contracts)? Considering how many teams are losing money in the NHL, the players have a pretty sweet deal.

Why can't they have both in the CBA(salary cap and non-guaranteed contracts)? Considering how many teams are losing money in the NHL, the players have a pretty sweet deal.

The players have to vote to agree too. No way they vote for both. It isn't in their best interest. The owners will need a concession on something.

The players have to vote to agree too. No way they vote for both. It isn't in their best interest. The owners will need a concession on something.

Just remember who has the upper hand....the owners. In the NFL where ALL teams make money, there are no fully guaranteed contracts, but in the NHL where some owners are losing millions every year, you are stuck with a Wade Redden/Alexei Yashin/Rick DiPietro, etc... once they sign on the dotted line.

It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Why would a player want to void a contract that pays him $3 million?

What Korab Said:

Because it would allow the player to market their services to another organization that might actually consider allowing them to play in the NHL, like a Wade Redden. Depending on their level of pride and belief in their game, this might be an attractive option for some.

Small market teams will hate this idea, as it will allow big money teams who pay too much for players to escape the consequences of their actions. Once upon a time, I would have allied with the small market teams, but now I don't give a $hit.

remind me ... specifically *why* are we talking about getting rid of leino? because he's under-performed in the first 10 games of an 82-game schedule? using that line of logic, we could also get rid of half the team. going back to last season, using this same concept, we wouldn't have a team at all based on how they performed in october and november 2010.

give the kid some time. he'll be fine.

A question was raised about the RISK of the contract, I was pointing out that since he does not have an NMC, there is no salary cap risk.

If the players wanted to take a major step forward they would insist on no salary cap.

We would be watching the 2004-05 season again. :unsure:

As of February 2011, I'm anti-salary cap.

remind me ... specifically *why* are we talking about getting rid of leino? because he's under-performed in the first 10 games of an 82-game schedule? using that line of logic, we could also get rid of half the team. going back to last season, using this same concept, we wouldn't have a team at all based on how they performed in october and november 2010.

give the kid some time. he'll be fine.

Oh I was going along with the 'what if...', I completely agree with you.

Archived