Puck Daddy: Study: Who is the most efficient general manager in the NHL?

nobody

Study: Who is the most efficient general manager in the NHL?

Interesting article about studies done by Derek Zona of the Edmonton Oilers blog Copper & Blue. Darcy falls above the NHL average.

There is a link in there for a study from last year about Marginal Cap Efficiency - Rolling Averages going back to 2005.

Noted in that study is this comment:

"Six teams haven't slipped below the league average yet - Buffalo, Detroit, Nashville, Pittsburgh, San Jose, and Washington. We can safely say that the Sabres, Red Wings, Predators, Penguins, Sharks and Captials management teams are in the top 25% of the league."

Interesting read but IMO it doesn't really tell us anything. The way I see it there are two ways to be "efficient", making the playoffs with a low rent squad or being among the league leaders regardless of payroll level. I know which one I prefer. Detroit and SJ does it the latter way, we've been through a period of doing it the first way.

I could care less about points per dollars spent. I don't want my team mgt known to be efficient at extracting points per dollar spent. We had one of those for about 15 years. TG was all about managing on the margins. Look at the top 5 most efficient teams from last season; Lightning, Yotes, Blues, Preds, and Thrashers. Not exactly an elite group to brag about being among.

Study: Who is the most efficient general manager in the NHL?

Interesting article about studies done by Derek Zona of the Edmonton Oilers blog Copper & Blue. Darcy falls above the NHL average.

There is a link in there for a study from last year about Marginal Cap Efficiency - Rolling Averages going back to 2005.

Noted in that study is this comment:

"Six teams haven't slipped below the league average yet - Buffalo, Detroit, Nashville, Pittsburgh, San Jose, and Washington. We can safely say that the Sabres, Red Wings, Predators, Penguins, Sharks and Captials management teams are in the top 25% of the league."

Interesting read but IMO it doesn't really tell us anything. The way I see it there are two ways to be "efficient", making the playoffs with a low rent squad or being among the league leaders regardless of payroll level. I know which one I prefer. Detroit and SJ does it the latter way, we've been through a period of doing it the first way.

I could care less about points per dollars spent. I don't want my team mgt known to be efficient at extracting points per dollar spent. We had one of those for about 15 years. TG was all about managing on the margins. Look at the top 5 most efficient teams from last season; Lightning, Yotes, Blues, Preds, and Thrashers. Not exactly an elite group to brag about being among.

I'd agree w/ the bolded statement.

The other item that I found interesting is that the 6 FO's that are consistently in the top 1/2 in this metric have all had the same GM in place since at least '06 (and all but 1 since at least '03) and that they have also, for the most part, had very little changeover in the coaching ranks since the lockout as well.

Makes for an interesting correlation / causation question. Are these 6 consistently in the top 1/2 of this rather arbitrary metric because of their longevity; have they been in the job so long because they're consistently in the top 1/2; or is neither causative?

I know what I'd say the answer to that is.

Obviously, those in charge were able to turn around the Pens and Bruins clubs very quickly. Whether they can last in the long run, such as Detroit does, remains to be seen.

Darcy has done a fairly good job keeping the Sabres mostly competitive in his tennure, especially given the restrictions he has had at times.

Archived