Attending a Leafs game

mrjsbu96

I wish the Sabres were in town when I make my annually Bills game visit in November, but they are out of town so we are considering attending a Leafs game, just to say we did....and also so I have 'another' reason to give my wife on why I need a passport.

That said, any advice? Tickets on StubHub are greater than $175 - is this really the case for that team? Is it possible to scalp once you are there?

Thanks for the advice (aside from not going) -

I have. The Leaves fans at Leaves games are more friendly and less "altered" than are the Leaves fans at Sabres home games. It's a great arena; it's a bigger HSBC with (much) better food and (much) more expensive beverages. Restaurants are a few blocks away, just like home, except because you're in a bigger city, the walk to/from a restaurant doesn't seem as far. (It is as far.)

I think Leaves fans are pretty used to having opposing teams' fans in their building and can accommodate it, as long as you don't act like jerks.

Be prepared to be completely bombarded with Leaves-related propaganda at every whistle. The crappy music at HSBC is bad; the multimedia presentations in Toronto are worse.

There is, on this site, a review of the arena by me in early/mid March of this year, but I don't find the SS search engine easy to use.

I suggest you go and have fun. And be careful if you're coming home the same night as the game. Designate someone or take it easy. They don't screw around at the border, and, more importantly, the Queen-E between Toronto and Saint Cat is no place to drive if you've had a couple.

Oh--and I doubt you'll have better luck with a scalper than on StubHub, but those prices online might come down. (Or go up. Always tough to tell. Whenever I'm selling, they seem to go down.)

I have. The Leaves fans at Leaves games are more friendly and less "altered" than are the Leaves fans at Sabres home games. It's a great arena; it's a bigger HSBC with (much) better food and (much) more expensive beverages. Restaurants are a few blocks away, just like home, except because you're in a bigger city, the walk to/from a restaurant doesn't seem as far. (It is as far.)

I think Leaves fans are pretty used to having opposing teams' fans in their building and can accommodate it, as long as you don't act like jerks.

Be prepared to be completely bombarded with Leaves-related propaganda at every whistle. The crappy music at HSBC is bad; the multimedia presentations in Toronto are worse.

There is, on this site, a review of the arena by me in early/mid March of this year, but I don't find the SS search engine easy to use.

I suggest you go and have fun. And be careful if you're coming home the same night as the game. Designate someone or take it easy. They don't screw around at the border, and, more importantly, the Queen-E between Toronto and Saint Cat is no place to drive if you've had a couple.

Oh--and I doubt you'll have better luck with a scalper than on StubHub, but those prices online might come down. (Or go up. Always tough to tell. Whenever I'm selling, they seem to go down.)

I would agree with everything Eleven said except for the restaurants/bars. I know in Buffalo there are bars and decent restaurants if you look for them but there are FAR more right around the ACC in Toronto that are easily visible. I'd recommend the Spaghetti Factory. The tickets are very expensive and somewhat hard to come by in Toronto but I would suggest waiting a bit until near the start of the season and maybe jump on a site like kijiji to look for tickets.

I would agree with everything Eleven said except for the restaurants/bars. I know in Buffalo there are bars and decent restaurants if you look for them but there are FAR more right around the ACC in Toronto that are easily visible. I'd recommend the Spaghetti Factory. The tickets are very expensive and somewhat hard to come by in Toronto but I would suggest waiting a bit until near the start of the season and maybe jump on a site like kijiji to look for tickets.

This is more me being defensive about Buffalo than anything, but...

The Spaghetti factory is no closer to ACC than Cobblestone/WJ Morrissey's/Pearl Street are to HSBC! (Google map it.) It just feels like a shorter distance because it's a much bigger city and everyone is walking everywhere.

As for more visible, definitely.

Thanks for the responses so far. I have been to TO many times before growing up in WNY, but just never a hockey game. Still kick myself for not hitting the old Maple Leaf Gardens.

I am dating myself 15 years, but is Private Eyes in St. Cat still there?

Derrico - what is kiijjii?

Eleven - they are playing the Bruins that night, so I think I may actually root for the Leafs that night! Thanks for the heads-up on driving...that will be a tough game of rock-scissors-paper that afternoon in WNY before heading up...

This is more me being defensive about Buffalo than anything, but...

The Spaghetti factory is no closer to ACC than Cobblestone/WJ Morrissey's/Pearl Street are to HSBC! (Google map it.) It just feels like a shorter distance because it's a much bigger city and everyone is walking everywhere.

As for more visible, definitely.

Hahahah, that may be true, but if you don't want the Spaghetti Factory, there are 40 other options within literally a two minute walk. Hey, I'm from the area (20 min outside Toronto) and defend Buffalo non stop around here so I understand your feeling of being defensive.

Thanks for the responses so far. I have been to TO many times before growing up in WNY, but just never a hockey game. Still kick myself for not hitting the old Maple Leaf Gardens.

I am dating myself 15 years, but is Private Eyes in St. Cat still there?

Derrico - what is kiijjii?

Eleven - they are playing the Bruins that night, so I think I may actually root for the Leafs that night! Thanks for the heads-up on driving...that will be a tough game of rock-scissors-paper that afternoon in WNY before heading up...

Sorry, it must be a Canadian thing. Here is the link, there is generally leaf tickets on there when the season is on.

Will you be staying at a hotel up there?

The reason that I ask is that I go up to Toronto on business about 4 times per year. And the concierges at the hotels (Marriott, Hyatt, Fairmont, etc.) are incredible. They can get you tickets dirt cheap for the non-Canadian teams, and you don't have to lift a finger.

We went a few years ago on a Saturday night and stayed at the Royal York and there was a great bar very close by across the street. We wore our Sabres Jerseys and got a lot of flack but it was all good and I gave a lot of flack and cheered as I loud could as often as I could. It was good give and take. Which was easier for them to take though because we got blown out. But I had one guy in particular giving me a hard time and he was very agrresive. I won him over though.

You see the night before Toronto was in Buffalo Friday night and they were winning 4-0 and we came back and beat them 5-4. So when we were down again 4-0 to them on Saturday I turned to the guy who was busting my balls and said, we've got you right where we want you! The guy laughed his ass off and came down and talked to me and ended up buying me and the Mrs. a drink. He said order whatever you want I grinned and said you know I'm ordering an $18 beer right? He said whatever you want. We sucked bad that night but the evening was great time anyway. Security did give me a real hard time about my camera but eventually let me go.

Last year we went to a game in Tampa that very cool. This year we are going to Montreal in November for a game and I am stoked for that one!

Will you be staying at a hotel up there?

The reason that I ask is that I go up to Toronto on business about 4 times per year. And the concierges at the hotels (Marriott, Hyatt, Fairmont, etc.) are incredible. They can get you tickets dirt cheap for the non-Canadian teams, and you don't have to lift a finger.

My old job when I got out of University, lol, I made a lot of money selling tickets, to bad I don't have those contacts anymore....... :beer:

Archived