OT: Hard Drive Space

frissonic

So ... apparently I have 7.5TB of storage. Overkill? I think not. :) I have 3 2TB drives and 3 500GB drives. Lots of video, lots of music. I'm also hoping that the next iPhone will shoot 1080p cuz I *really* love that little thing for concert vids. I mean ... REALLY. The sound is incredible, the video quality is excellent ... and that's all in 720p. Anyway, I shoot a lot of video and plan on shooting more over the summer/fall. Gonna need the drive space.

True, I am photographer who has 3 2T, 3 1.5Ts, 2 1TBs a 750G and a 5GB. I have used up at 2/3 using two hard drive USB storage devices and will need to get another soon. Video uses up even more Hard Drive space faster... newegg, microcenter are two of the websites you can get HDs at reasonable cost.

So ... apparently I have 7.5TB of storage. Overkill? I think not. :) I have 3 2TB drives and 3 500GB drives. Lots of video, lots of music. I'm also hoping that the next iPhone will shoot 1080p cuz I *really* love that little thing for concert vids. I mean ... REALLY. The sound is incredible, the video quality is excellent ... and that's all in 720p. Anyway, I shoot a lot of video and plan on shooting more over the summer/fall. Gonna need the drive space.

I agree, no such thing as too much. As a broke would be film maker, the purchase plan goes Computer>2 TB>Camera>2 TB>2 TB. Can not have enough space.

And, Concert vids for win, bruh.

Uh...did you guys get this site confused with the Computer Geeks forum???

nope. :) hence the "OT:" in front of the post.

yah, i'm a big fan of shooting concert vids. we have a series of free in-the-park concerts every thursday starting july 14 through august 25 or something like that. explosions in the sky, phantogram, ghostland observatory, the entrance band (paz lenchantin's new band, for those of you keeping track of her career), edward sharpe, bright eyes ... i mean, these aren't crap bands coming through. and they're FREE. so yah ...need the hard drive space.

as for vids, i post them on my youtube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/frissonic.

</shameless self-promotional plug>

Keep in mind that any hard drive is a potential single point of failure. External drives, in particular, are notorious for simply "going away" without any prior warning. Anything you consider "irreplaceable" should always be in at least two places.

And do not TRUST RAID as a backup. It will fail when you need it most.

Agree on the Raid failure issue, basically that is what I have. But I also back up my processed photos online. I use smugmug for my galleries www.fischerwilliamsphoto.smugmug.com and that saved me this year when I my wedding hard-drive raid crashed. Got it recovered for an obscene amount of money, but was able to download high resolution photos from smugmug to finish an album I was working on before I got the recovered hard drive back..

Agree on the Raid failure issue, basically that is what I have. But I also back up my processed photos online. I use smugmug for my galleries www.fischerwilliamsphoto.smugmug.com and that saved me this year when I my wedding hard-drive raid crashed. Got it recovered for an obscene amount of money, but was able to download high resolution photos from smugmug to finish an album I was working on before I got the recovered hard drive back..

i'm on flickr, though i generally tend to just post the "highlights" of an occasion rather than every pic taken.

nothing is in a RAID array. i also stay away from particular brands. i've found that western digital and samsung drives perform extremely well, while seagate is about as bottom of the barrel as it gets. hitachis work pretty well also.

any brands y'all have noticed that fail/work better/worse than others?

i'm on flickr, though i generally tend to just post the "highlights" of an occasion rather than every pic taken.

nothing is in a RAID array. i also stay away from particular brands. i've found that western digital and samsung drives perform extremely well, while seagate is about as bottom of the barrel as it gets. hitachis work pretty well also.

any brands y'all have noticed that fail/work better/worse than others?

I love statements like this, only because if you ask ten different people, you will get ten different answers on what is good and what is bad. In my experience, all drives eventually fail; every brand in every price range.

I just have two words for you - backup yersh!t.

I love statements like this, only because if you ask ten different people, you will get ten different answers on what is good and what is bad. In my experience, all drives eventually fail; every brand in every price range.

I just have two words for you - backup yersh!t.

see, and i love statements like this because there actually ARE particular brands that just flat-out fail with alarming consistency ... which is why i said that WD and Samsung are my preferred drives. i also should have mentioned maxtor. i've never had any of those brands die on me.

others might have had drives NOT fail on them. for example, after switching out the 3 2TB drives, sitting on my counter were two maxtors that were manufactured in 2006. 5 years old, and still running strong, with no signs of clunking out any time soon.

i will grant you the last point though--backups are a given. music, vids and pics, in my book, are the most important to back up.

Of the three hard drives in my lifetime that have failed were WD and one was a Maxtor. Luckily I do backup even online. Smugmug has a professional site capability for $250 per year and an online sales gallery where I get to set the prices and make 80% of every sale after their costs are factored in. They use Bay Photo as one of their printers, who have been around for over 50 years and EZ Prints. You can set it up so your clients can download photos, imbed a galler into your own web page and lots of other cools stuff.

Check it out.

Archived