Hank talks Myers

Two or less

In case anyone didn't see this article, i thought it was pretty cool...

One of the reasons Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello wanted Tallinder so badly was the way he helped 19-year-old Sabres rookie defenseman Tyler Myers break into the NHL.

The Devils are hoping Tallinder, 31, can do the same for some of their young defensemen...

How much credit should Tallinder receive?

“It was all him,” Tallinder said modestly.”Yeah, I was there. He made mistakes. You could see he was down after he made a mistake, but the sooner you can forget it the better. He carried himself really well.”

The Devils probably don’t have another Myers.

“The way he carried himself and the way he played, I think was remarkable,” Talinder said. “I never saw a 19-year-old come into the league and play that well. He’s going to be really good, for this league and for Buffalo. It’s really impressive to see a 19-year-old come into the league and he was really dominating our defense.

“He’s good. Tall, really mobile for his size. He can skate, handle the puck. I know when you’re a tall kind it’s harder for the coordination. He has it all. He’s going to be really good.”

Rest of story- http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/09/newcomer_henrik_tallinder_more.html

Tallinder had a lot of good stuff to say about Myers and took no credit for his development. Later in the article he talks about Buffalo and that he left on good terms. He admits he didn't play as well as maybe he should have in post-injuries but says he left on good terms and said Devils and Sabres were in the running all the way til the end, the difference was Buffalo offered 2 years while NJ had a 4 year on the table but said he was strongly considering staying.

Which is why we all know they let Hank go. His bounce back year can be mainly f not solely attributed to myers. The Sabres didn't need to overpay someone to help carry Tylers bags. Whover they stick with myers is going to look likecan all-star.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate tallinder, I just feel the options they chose were better.

Which is why we all know they let Hank go. His bounce back year can be mainly f not solely attributed to myers. The Sabres didn't need to overpay someone to help carry Tylers bags. Whover they stick with myers is going to look likecan all-star.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate tallinder, I just feel the options they chose were better.

HIs bounce back year can be mainly attributed to a contract expiration, IMO.

HIs bounce back year can be mainly attributed to a contract expiration, IMO.

I disagree, I'm still going to go with Myers being the sole reason for his solid season. He didn't make a lot of mistakes but just as importantly he didn't make many big plays, I barely noticed him all year thinking back. Sometimes thats a good thing, but as I've said before, I see adding a legit offensive defenseman (legit, not GREAT by any means) in Leopold and a more physical defenseman in Morrisson as an improvement over two players who don't seem to know whether they are offensive defensemen or stay at home defensemen. At worst, it's a wash. At best, it could pay huge dividends both in terms of protecting Miller (healthy Rivet, Morrisonn, potentially Weber and even sometimes Montador can all clear the crease) and contributing offensively (Myers, Leopold, maybe Sekera falls into that category).

I think I'd attribute Tallinder's bounceback last year primarily to playing with Myers. Like most of his teammates, Tallinder doesn't have much mental toughness. It looked to me like he lost his mojo after getting hurt and didn't have enough confidence to consistently make the right split-second decision with the puck, which is what his type of defensive game relies on. Playing with the Natural restored his confidence, resulting in a much better year last year. And I do think he had a much better year last year -- there were plenty of games in which he played the best out of all of the Sabres' defensemen.

I expect anyone that plays with Myers will look pretty good.

Archived