$12 million cap space left...Regier up to something?

JohnRobertEichel

well even with all of that factored in with all the cap space we will have left something must be happening unless ownership has decided not to spend as close to the cap as it did last year. I wouldnt even mind seeing them bring in darcy tucker but i really want david backes in a sabres uniform

well even with all of that factored in with all the cap space we will have left something must be happening unless ownership has decided not to spend as close to the cap as it did last year. I wouldnt even mind seeing them bring in darcy tucker but i really want david backes in a sabres uniform

There are about 30 teams that would like Backes in their uniform including the one that already has him.

Here's another thought: if Regier is done making moves this offseason to better the team, maybe he can at least use some of the unused cap space to sign Tyler Myers to a long-term contract? I'm thinking something front-loaded and on the order of 5 years. Myers is set to be a RFA in 2 more offseasons. We cannot let him hit the market as a free agent, so next offseason is when a contract needs to be made. It would eliminate one major headache for next year. And the risk is minimal, since I doubt anyone in the league thinks Myers is a one-year wonder.

Just a thought.

Ryan is from outside Philly and most likely wants to go home. This could be why Holmgren is trying to unload Gagne. No way the Ducks make that deal, but Carter who has one year left (like Kaberle), you have to assume would be the guy they want. I can't fathom a scenario that the Sabres can enter for either of these two. So what's next?

Zherdev is the newest rumor, highly dynamic highly problematic. Playing for Hitchcock can do this, but does Lindy think he can take this guy on and make it work. The pro's are he comes cheap with something to prove to stay in North America. Fast shifty winger that may take some heat off Vanek, the con's are what if this guy follows Roy lead and tries to do it all himself? Tough call either way but a fourth overall pick only a few years ago may be worth the gamble.

WGR has the audio clip from the Toronto analyst who swears there is no FA Center better the Connolly and Roy, you know this only supports Darcy's comments...but think this one through. If Connolly has any hope for a better deal somewhere he has to prove it this year, point per game guy, under contract. Ennis will certainly provide some pressure for ice time, and are we 100% positive Stafford can't play center?

Ryan is from outside Philly and most likely wants to go home. This could be why Holmgren is trying to unload Gagne. No way the Ducks make that deal, but Carter who has one year left (like Kaberle), you have to assume would be the guy they want. I can't fathom a scenario that the Sabres can enter for either of these two. So what's next?

Zherdev is the newest rumor, highly dynamic highly problematic. Playing for Hitchcock can do this, but does Lindy think he can take this guy on and make it work. The pro's are he comes cheap with something to prove to stay in North America. Fast shifty winger that may take some heat off Vanek, the con's are what if this guy follows Roy lead and tries to do it all himself? Tough call either way but a fourth overall pick only a few years ago may be worth the gamble.

WGR has the audio clip from the Toronto analyst who swears there is no FA Center better the Connolly and Roy, you know this only supports Darcy's comments...but think this one through. If Connolly has any hope for a better deal somewhere he has to prove it this year, point per game guy, under contract. Ennis will certainly provide some pressure for ice time, and are we 100% positive Stafford can't play center?

A good sum it up post but,

Zherdev is a 4 million gamble. I'd take him, he's got a good shot.

Stafford barely plays wing, he'd be lost at center. His faceoffs are what? an average of 40% the last three years. I WANT HIM GONE!

Here's another thought: if Regier is done making moves this offseason to better the team, maybe he can at least use some of the unused cap space to sign Tyler Myers to a long-term contract? I'm thinking something front-loaded and on the order of 5 years. Myers is set to be a RFA in 2 more offseasons. We cannot let him hit the market as a free agent, so next offseason is when a contract needs to be made. It would eliminate one major headache for next year. And the risk is minimal, since I doubt anyone in the league thinks Myers is a one-year wonder.

Just a thought.

You cannot re-sign any player until they are in the last year of their contract. And when a player is given an extension, it does not count towards the cap that year. The cap hit starts when the new contract starts.

Cvanvol, I - too - would love to see David Backes in a Sabres uniform. My suggestion was trading Derek Roy to St. Louis for David Backes. Of course, don't hold your breath waiting to see that trade.

Archived