Missing Sabre-- Tim Connolly

theesir

With Vanek down, this is the guy who needs to step up. In this game though, he was invisible and -2 ta boot.

That whole line that looked so good in game one was no where to be found.

He certainly had a hand in that third goal, and failed to backcheck to boot.

If we're going to overcome losing Vanek hoepfully for very little time, Connolly still needs to step up. He has been invisible so far. He needs to be far more aggressive on the PP using his very strong shot more and of course we need guys like Roy, Ennis and Pominville to be better as well. Ennis, in particular, had some bad plays on the PP that cost us.

yea, he played poorly. so did pominville (-3), roy and Gaustad, who no one ever seems to give a hard time.

Actually, I would love it if some gaustad lovers out there would explain to me why he is anything more than a 4th liner. sure, he wins faceoffs, yet he still managed to have the worst +/- of any forward on the team throughout the regular season. Seriously, just watch the dude skate or puck-handle. Its a joke and shows major flaw in lindys coaching style that guastad ever plays on the power-play. for such a big body, he's terrible at forechecking and when was the last time he scored a big goal? Honestly, the dude has zero skill. Between him, Grier, Ellis, Mair and Kaleta, the sabres had 5 fourth liners on the ice last night. At least torres shows at least a speck of skill at times.

yea, he played poorly. so did pominville (-3), roy and Gaustad, who no one ever seems to give a hard time.

Actually, I would love it if some gaustad lovers out there would explain to me why he is anything more than a 4th liner. sure, he wins faceoffs, yet he still managed to have the worst +/- of any forward on the team throughout the regular season. Seriously, just watch the dude skate or puck-handle. Its a joke and shows major flaw in lindys coaching style that guastad ever plays on the power-play. for such a big body, he's terrible at forechecking and when was the last time he scored a big goal? Honestly, the dude has zero skill. Between him, Grier, Ellis, Mair and Kaleta, the sabres had 5 fourth liners on the ice last night. At least torres shows at least a speck of skill at times.

Funny, I had just been thinking "when do we stop thinking of Gausted as an essential member of this team", on Thursday. He really seems to serve no roll EXCEPT faceoffs. He wins draws, but hitting? Scoring? I don't see what role he serves anymore except occasionally getting hurt.

I pointed out Connoly as the invisible Sabre because his ROLL on the team is to step up and score. That's why the team stuck with him through all the injuries and he is giving nothing in return.

Who says he's any better than a 3rd/4th liner? The guy has been a career 4th liner ever since he cracked the lineup after the lockout.

Hello X-ray, I still can't figure out what exactly you believe other then hating Gaustad.

He is just brutal to watch on the power play...hold the puck, hold, hold, hold, pass, get it back, hold, hold, hold, give away.

Except for pass and a few extra hold's you would be talking about when Max was on the team.

TC needs to pick it up, no doubt and the turnovers/being out worked for pucks along the wall contributed to the loss in Game 2.

Connolly is a talented player, though, let's not lose sight of that. When he's on -- he's clearly a first line talent for any team in the league. If only he could play well all the time, but hey, that's what makes the difference between pretty good and top level.

My issue with TC's game, and the entire Buffalo offense, for that matter, is this: They don't shoot it enough. I'm not talking about the usual Pommer shot from just inside the blue line two-on-two. I'm talking about decent shots during cycles, tremendous opportunities (like the one TC passed up on the power play) and everything in between. In watching games today, I continue to find it hard to believe that teams don't just shoot it more.

I get that Boston does a good job of taking away shooting lanes and there definitely are times when it isn't a good idea to shoot, as a block might lead to an odd man rush the other way. But it does seem to me that shooting it on net creates the potential for rebounds and at least forces the goalie to make a save.

Chara's goal (off of Pommer's stick) is a good example. Miller had no chance at it and it was otherwise a harmless play. Ovechkin shoots more than anyone, it seems...and with a guy that has a shot as good as TC's -- it's worth pulling the trigger a few more times.

Archived