Once again its time for "the French Translations"

matter2003

In an article entitled "One sat down on our bottom", Carey Price and other Canadiens wax poetic---along with Smeegal raising his ugly head as a translator...:

“One played well during 55 minutes. After that, one sat on our bottom. One let them return in the match. is really disappointing"

The Tricolour one led 2-0 more to two minutes of the end. Better marker of the Sabres, Tim Connolly benefitted from it to register the first goal as of his with 18:01. After this goal, the Tricolour one seemed to lose its cohesion.

“One made good things for the first two periods. But the penalties killed our rate/rhythm”, explained Cammalleri which was on the ice at the time of the tying goal of the Sabres.

"One played against the very good team, best of our section. They were well controlled. Unfortunately, one took expensive penalties in the last moments of the match”, explained Jacques Martin.

I've read these before and laughed my azz off.Can someone enlighten me,are these english guys that can't speak french translating french language media or are they french guys that can't speak english translating english media?It boggles the mind that these reports end up in any type of media and are'nt there editors that go over this stuff before its released or do they not speak french and/or english as well.Shite this is confusing.

I've read these before and laughed my azz off.Can someone enlighten me,are these english guys that can't speak french translating french language media or are they french guys that can't speak english translating english media?It boggles the mind that these reports end up in any type of media and are'nt there editors that go over this stuff before its released or do they not speak french and/or english as well.Shite this is confusing.

Honestly, I think they just throw it through an online translator.

Since I am bilingual, maybe I can help answer your questions.

The Quebec newspapers do not print bilingual editions. So, the newspaper links were translated using an automatic translator.

However, many words and phrases do not translate directly between French and English, which is why you see the strange phrases.

For example, in French, “Head Coach” is “entraîneur-chef” (chief trainer). A trainer (American definition) in French is “Thérapeute sportif” (athletic therapist).

Also, French words have different meanings in different countries. In France, the term “Le Canadien” has no meaning (canadien is an adjective, not a noun), whereas in Quebec it is a term that describes the Montreal Canadiens hockey team. It’s sort of like the words “lift” and “”, which have completely different meanings in England compared to the States.

Don’t laugh – “Beef on Weck” translates to “sandwich of type beef of roasted, with a bread of kummelweck” (sandwich à boeuf de rôti avec un pain de kummelweck).

Allons, Buffalo!

Archived