going to MSG for the first time

tragicheadjam

hello, i'm planning on going to the 3/7 game at MSG. i've never been there and looking for any tips from you MSG vets. how are the rangers fans towards opposing teams fans? there are a ton of tickets online, think i should bite the bullet now or wait to see what's available outside the garden? what section should i shoot for, don't want to spend a ton, already spending enough on the trip...thanks for any input

hello, i'm planning on going to the 3/7 game at MSG. i've never been there and looking for any tips from you MSG vets. how are the rangers fans towards opposing teams fans? there are a ton of tickets online, think i should bite the bullet now or wait to see what's available outside the garden? what section should i shoot for, don't want to spend a ton, already spending enough on the trip...thanks for any input

I went to a Sabres-Rangers game at MSG in 2000. I can't honestly say what section you should aim for, but I'll say this: eat (and drink, if you do) BEFORE the game. The corridors are even more narrow than those at the Aud were, and the food at MSG absolutely sucks. It's like they turned the acronym for the arena into a food additive or something.

The fans were nothing but cordial to me in my Sabres sweater, even though the Sabres lost (I think 6-3, but it's ten years ago), and the views from around the arena seemed to be good everywhere.

Park you car at a Metro North line and take a train in to Grand Central and then the shuttle to Penn Station, MSG is right there. Agreed the fans are cordial, gave me crap for my Sabres Jersey, but otherwise fine, more just busting my chops. Sabres bus inside near the back entrance with police barriers and often a couple Sabres hang out there after the game and come to the police barrier to sign autographs at least Kaleta did and Stafford got a couple of hotties beyond the barriers. Food does suck, but there are plenty of great places to eat right around it, so eat before or afterwards. Other than that enjoy.

Here's my 2 cents (as an NYC resident who has been to a bunch of games at MSG):

1. While I agree that the food is lousy at MSG, the restaurants in the immediate vicinity are also pretty mediocre. If you want to have dinner before the game, I'd recommend going a bit further downtown -- MSG is on 33rd street; there are lots of good restaurants in the teens and low twenties. If you like, PM me and I can give you some specific recommendations.

2. Depending on where you are staying, the subway is a very easy and convenient way to get to the game. Either the 7th avenue line (1, 2 or 3 trains) or the 8th avenue line (A, C or E trains) take you right into the building. They will also take you further downtown (1 or 2 stops) to the good food areas. (While North Buffalo is right about Metro North, this only makes sense if you are going to be in Westchester or Connecticut -- not if you're going to be in NYC.)

3. As for tickets -- I would wait until 3-4 days before the game and then start working Craig's list. I would also try ebay about 2 weeks before the game. Doing stubhub now will cost an arm and a leg.

4. For seats, I would definitely try to get into the 100 level. MSG is a great place to see the game, with passionate hockey fans, but the arena configuration itself isn't so great. It's essentially a big, wide bowl (i.e. no real upper deck that hangs over the lower level). As a result, the higher level seats are really far back from the ice. If you're in the 300s you are a mile away. Also, the lower your seats are, the less you get hassled by home team meatheads (I think this is true in every arena, btw).

Good luck and have a great time!

I grew up in NJ and lived there most of my life before moving west, so I saw my share of games in the 80s and 90s at MSG; every time I attended a game with an opponent jersey on, I usually got treated to beer showers and food projectiles - especially if the team I wore a sweater of was beating the Rangers in that game. Things may have gotten better in recent years - maybe the local fans have become numb to the mediocrity of the Rangers and don't care as much when visiting fans cheer against them.

Archived