Canadian Olympic team announced...

LabattBlue

No Sabres made it, as Roy, unsurprisingly, failed to make the cut.

There were surprises. Among those passed over were Washington's Mike Green, the NHL's leading scorer among defensemen; Calgary defensemen trio Jay Bouwmeester, Robyn Regehr and Dion Phaneuf; Tampa Bay forward Martin St. Louis; Ottawa forward Mike Fisher; Philadelphia forward Jeff Carter; and Pittsburgh forward Jordan Staal, Eric's brother.

Doughty is playing pretty well. It looks like Stevie Y put a well rounded team together that has skill, toughness, vet leadership, size, youth, solid goaltending. Throw in a pair of defense partners in Seabrook and Duncan, along with Neidermeyer and Pronger, and the top line in SJ- Thorntan, Marleau, Heatley. Not Bad.

Found this on Team Canada's site: All 23 players have international experience, including 53 gold medals, eight Olympians and, as a group, the players have played in 702 international games, 13,136 NHL regular season games and 1,219 NHL playoff games.

Doughty & Seabrook in and Phaneuf, Green & Bouwmeester out?

They might be taking this youth movement too seriously, it's not like the latter three are over the hill!

I'm not sure about taking the youth movement too seriously. Team Canada has to be one of the most competitive teams to make the cut for the Olympics, given that they have a huge percentage of players in the NHL. Having said that, I am surprised that Dion Phaneuf didn't make the team.

Let's see what Mike Babcock and LR can do with this team.

BTW, this has to be a tough Olympic season in terms of who to cheer for. A part of me wants Team Canada to succeed, given that Lindy's on the bench. A part of me wants Team USA to avenge their loss in 2002 to Team Canada - and to do this on Canadian Ice. A part of me wants Team Finland to win it all, given that they came so close in 2006. It's a coin toss, IMO.

Archived