Vanek for Kovalchuk?

tom webster

How about let Vanek get healthy, trade for a true #1 center to feed him the puck and then let him do what he can do.

Give me some examples of a "true #1 center", why a team would be willing to give one up(are there teams out there with more than one?) and the cost in a trade of said player?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLCACAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

PS I still think the Bruins should claim temporary insanity during the time when they traded Thornton.

Not that it really says anything but here's an update on Kovalchuk's contract negotiations

"Some guys remain with their team throughout the year. we have many options. If we can't sign him a trade isn't the only option. we have other options."

http://thrashers.nhl...vid=DL|ATL|home

So is the only "other" option keeping him and then letting him go to UFA?

Give me some examples of a "true #1 center", why a team would be willing to give one up(are there teams out there with more than one?) and the cost in a trade of said player?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLCACAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

PS I still think the Bruins should claim temporary insanity during the time when they traded Thornton.

The one that comes to mind and probably would be an even trade is Vanek for Staal (CAR)..

The one that comes to mind and probably would be an even trade is Vanek for Staal (CAR)..

I wouldn't think we would need to give Vanek, but ya, interesting choice.

How does this sound, Pomminstein, Connolly and this years 2nd and 4th round picks.

You dump roughly 10 million in cap space (I don't know what Staal's contract is) and you free up the Center position.

Insert Stafford in there, or MacArthur for Pomminstein if you wish. But I would love to have Eric Staal on this team centering for Vanek.

I wouldn't think we would need to give Vanek, but ya, interesting choice.

How does this sound, Pomminstein, Connolly and this years 2nd and 4th round picks.

You dump roughly 10 million in cap space (I don't know what Staal's contract is) and you free up the Center position.

Insert Stafford in there, or MacArthur for Pomminstein if you wish. But I would love to have Eric Staal on this team centering for Vanek.

I think that would be a good deal for Buffalo, but it would make Carolina weaker up the middle.

I think that would be a good deal for Buffalo, but it would make Carolina weaker up the middle.

Well then, throw in a Dman (Butler, Weber, Gragnani). We seem to have plenty of those and I think Tallinder gets resigned since he has had a resurgence with Myers.

I would never make this statement about managements ability to "grow" this team internally. If you look at all of the draft picks that turned out to be busts, were not talking about 2nd or 3rd rounders here, were talking 1st round draft picks. The Buffalo Sabres have the absolute worst record in that regard. Thomas Vanek and Tyler Myers are the only 2 1st round picks worth a dam on this team at this time. Stafford may get better with the right linemates. That says something about management.

I mean, lets be realistic here, Paille, Zagrapan, Novotny, Kirukov, Heisten, Kalinin, Noronen. These picks don't exactly inspire success stories. Lets look at who has been able to contribute, Vanek, Stafford, Myers.

Ennis, Persson and Kassian in the pipeline, no way to be sure they will contribute at the level expected until they get up with the big club fulltime.

So I would think looking at FA talent and possible trade situations are not only warranted, but actually have merit based on a multitude of variables on this team. If not Kovalchuck, then what player/players are out there that may add significant upsides to help this team reach its maximum potential?

Great analysis on Sabres draft picks but it is only a tiny microcosm of the draft pick world reality. I'll bet that unless you pick top three the rest is a subjective crap shoot - way too many variables to predict potential outcome - all teams included. But, nobody is going to stop - it's better than NO system at all! :bag:

And, this team is a fairly well groomed team 35 games in and getting better with the available internal talent! :worthy: GO SABRES!!!

Archived