Unsung Sabre Hero of All Time

gregkash

Well, I think he was... in a Sabres uniform, which is this post. His HOF status was assured before he ever got here. While here he basically took a back seat to half the team. Donated a chunk of change, very humble and unassuming.

In his 4 healthy seasons in Buffalo he never scored less than 86 points. That was padding his HoF status. Other than Patty, Mogilny, and Dom, who did he take a back seat to? I don't see how Ducks could be considered "unsung".

as one who's only been following the sabres since 98 id like to nominate Danny Hamel. he never really got a chance but when he was on the ice he was awsome. or atleast every time i got to see him play. was fiesty if i remeber correctly.

Historically, I'd go with Hajt and Brent Peterson. Hajt was solid as a rock. I don't think Brent Peterson ever lost a face-off.

Currently, while one could reasonably say the whole team is unsung, I'd go with Tallinder. He's quietly turned into a very good defenseman on both ends.

Historically, I'd go with Hajt and Brent Peterson. Hajt was solid as a rock. I don't think Brent Peterson ever lost a face-off.

Currently, while one could reasonably say the whole team is unsung, I'd go with Tallinder. He's quietly turned into a very good defenseman on both ends.

Brent Peterson. Now there is a name. Great faceoff man. Gaustad reminds me of Peterson, but Gaustad is better in the corners, I think Peterson had better hands. One of my favorite lines of all time, when Peterson had a breakaway against the LAKings (I believe), he was stopped cold. A reporter asked him about the breakaway and he said, "I went in like Wayne Gretsky, and I came out like Brent Peterson."

Brent Peterson. Now there is a name. Great faceoff man. Gaustad reminds me of Peterson, but Gaustad is better in the corners, I think Peterson had better hands. One of my favorite lines of all time, when Peterson had a breakaway against the LAKings (I believe), he was stopped cold. A reporter asked him about the breakaway and he said, "I went in like Wayne Gretsky, and I came out like Brent Peterson."

Leaving him unprotected was one of the stupidest things the Sabres ever did. They went a long time after that without having a decent faceoff man.

They also missed the playoffs the 2 years following their letting him go. I'm certain that a few key faceoff wins wouldn't have helped them any in getting the 4-5 points they needed to get in in '86. (Where's that D'oh smiley when you need it?)

Im only considering players that I've actually seen and remember.. meaning from 87 (when i was 3) on..

Stu Barnes is a good one, he was never a superstar..

Rob Ray can also be considered. I mean he's a superstar in buffalo but not in the rest of the NHL..

I am in the same boat greg, born in 84 remember from about 87. I loved Stu and Rayzor, but I will give a vote to grant ledyard, I always loved how gritty of a player he was. Honorable mention also to richard smehlik

Archived