5,000 people at Phoenix game

tom webster

I flipped the game on(free CI preview :thumbsup: ) and the crowd during the first period looked equivalent to a crowd in the last minute of play of a 10-0 game where the home team is losing.

Bettman needs to get over his sun belt obsession and allow that team to be moved.

I'm going to take the contrarian view and predict the following:

1. the city & state provide major economic concessions, resulting in Reinsdorf or another buyer coming in and keeping the team in Glendale for at least a 5-year commitment.

2. the team putting together a pretty solid season in which they stay in the hunt for the 7th or 8th playoff spot.

3. once #1 happens, attendance rebounding to respectable levels.

So there.

I would tend to agree with nfreeman ... not because I think the non-traditional markets are working great or deserve to keep their teams in general, but Phoenix is just a huge TV market and the NHL can't afford to lose it. It's significantly bigger than Nashville or Raleigh-Durham and a little bigger than Miami ... Obviously Carolina isn't going anywhere but I think the NHL would rather lose Nashville or Miami than Phoenix.

Personally, I never had a problem with the NHL being a regional league ... but if we ever want the league to get something resembling a real TV deal and not have to deal with crap like the VS.-DirecTV thing, they need Phoenix.

Archived