Trends so far this season...

matter2003

There have been some trends in the first 3 games that bear watching throughout the early part of the season at least...

The most surprising to me is the Sabres lead the NHL in both shots on goal per game with almost 39, and fewest shots against per game with 22. They also are putrid on faceoffs, winning only 42%, ranking 3rd from last in the NHL, their powerplay is 3rd worst in the NHL at 11% and their penalty kill is 3rd best in the NHL at 90%...

They have scored the fewest goals and have also allowed the fewest goals in the NHL this year.

Now, I realize this all could change significantly within the next few weeks, but in your opinion, can the Sabres continue to win games if they keep playing the way they are playing now, or will it lead to their downfall?

There have been some trends in the first 3 games that bear watching throughout the early part of the season at least...

The most surprising to me is the Sabres lead the NHL in both shots on goal per game with almost 39, and fewest shots against per game with 22. They also are putrid on faceoffs, winning only 42%, ranking 3rd from last in the NHL, their powerplay is 3rd worst in the NHL at 11% and their penalty kill is 3rd best in the NHL at 90%...

They have scored the fewest goals and have also allowed the fewest goals in the NHL this year.

Now, I realize this all could change significantly within the next few weeks, but in your opinion, can the Sabres continue to win games if they keep playing the way they are playing now, or will it lead to their downfall?

You're right, it is early, but I'd put money on any team that leads the league in shots for, shots against, and fewest goals allowed, and that also has the third-best penalty kill, no matter what the PP and faceoff stats are. But, it's EARLY. These stats are going to change.

They can win a lot of games playing this style. The goals will come. Over time shots on goal generally average out to 10% goals for each. So they are playing well enough to win games 4-2.

I agree that most of the numbers are very good, but it is probably not a big enough sample to make any real forcast.

I will say that the one stat that I like above all of the others is the increase in shots. I have always felt that in any level of hockey, getting shots is most important thing that you can do. Some teams (including past Sabres teams) tend to try to get a little too cute with their passing and don't get the puck on net enough. Very few bad things happen if you are forcing the goalie to make saves. It generally means you are in control of the puck more than your opponent. It creates rebounds. It may wear down a goalie as the game goes on. It's just rarely a bad idea to get the puck on net and it gives the rank-and-file, less flashy players the chance to really contribute. Guys like Rick Vaive and Dave Andreychuk made careers of taking a beating in front and sweeping up the trash. This is where a guy like Goose can really make an impact. I hope that this shooting trend continues throughout the season.

On a semi-related note, I wasn't sold at first on Kennedy, but he's really starting to win me over. The guy takes every opportunity he can to get the puck to the net. And, just as it is with shots, that's rarely a bad thing to do. I hope they start going in for him soon.

On a semi-related note, I wasn't sold at first on Kennedy, but he's really starting to win me over. The guy takes every opportunity he can to get the puck to the net. And, just as it is with shots, that's rarely a bad thing to do. I hope they start going in for him soon.

Kennedy and Kaleta are similar at this...when in doubt throw it on net.

If it forces a faceoff in the o-zone, at least you can get all 5 skaters in the zone and it is really hard for the other team to score a goal from 180' away.

You're right, it is early, but I'd put money on any team that leads the league in shots for, shots against, and fewest goals allowed, and that also has the third-best penalty kill, no matter what the PP and faceoff stats are. But, it's EARLY. These stats are going to change.

If they can pick it up on the PP and faceoff stats and hold the line or even improve on everything else, this team will be a force to be reckoned with this season.

Archived